Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you start taking your vitamins?

Just curious when most people start taking Vitamins with RNY. Did you start taking them after or before surgery, and if before how long before?

My surgeon did not have me start my Vitamins until one week post-op; before that, unless you have a known deficiency, there is no need.

I started Vitamins months before my surgery and resumed the day after surgery. I take Bariatric multi Vite and Calcium.

I agree RapidFirePickle, but my surgeons office wants me to start now to make it a routine. I will definitely try them before to make sure the taste is ok.

BeeCat - thank you.

I did have deficencies, that's why my program do a blood test early. Started in June for my September 5th surgery. I take,Vitamin.A, Vitamin D, magnesium a in morning. 2 at night, liquid calcium citrate, Prenatal Vitamin for the Iron and folates And PCP had me on,an extra iron every other day, because I,was verging on anemia. My liquid acalcium,Citrate is called Wellesse, taste just like melted,orange pushup sherbet t treat, Take it midmorning and,late evening, I wish I could keep me little prenatal,pill after my surgery
but,i guess I'll to do what they say.

No matter what part of the body is undergoing surgery, the process of healing is the same. Surgically “traumatized tissue” (skin, muscle, bones, cartilage, tendons, etc.) does not just magically heal; rather, the body has to rebuild and repair tissue on the cellular level. This involves energy and nutritional building blocks to support the healing process.

Healing efforts surround the rebuilding of collagen, the main component in many tissues — such as skin, muscle, blood vessels, and bone. Improperly-formed collagen is associated with healing disturbances.

Healing occurs in three overlapping phases. Most of one's healing occurs in the first few weeks.

Inflammatory phase (up to 5 days): The body’s first response to injury involves forming a localized blood clot to stop bleeding. Infection-fighting cells (neutrophils) and debris cleaning cells (macrophages) are recruited to the traumatized area.

Proliferative phase (2 days - 3 weeks): The body starts building tissue with specialized collagen-forming cells called fibroblasts. This new tissue is called granulation tissue and special growth factors to stimulate skin formation (epithelialization).

Remodeling phase (3 weeks - years): The body transforms and replaces the collagen that was placed during the proliferative phase into a stronger collagen to support structure and function over the long term.

It is a good idea to be as healthy as possible and nutritionally balanced before surgery to support healing. Certain Vitamins and minerals are known to support the normal response to healing, and to support the normal immune system response to infection.

Vitamin C: Necessary to build and rebuild collagen throughout the body. Vitamin C is also a powerful antioxidant that supports the immune response.

Vitamin A: Supports immune system functioning and aids collagen strength. Also required for bone development.

Zinc: An essential trace mineral used in enzymatic reactions involved in tissue and wound healing, regeneration, and repair.

Vitamin K: Aids the natural blood clotting response and is important for bone health.

B-Vitamins: Cellular metabolism, tissue repair and immune support.

Vitamin D and Calcium: Important for bone health.

Magnesium: Mineral involved in approximately 300 biochemical reactions.

Amino Acids (L-Arginine, L-Glutamine): Two key amino acids for wound repair and immune function.

Dietary supplements to avoid before surgery:

Vitamin E and surgery do not mix because Vitamin E is associated with increased bleeding, and this can lead to a collection of blood (called a hematoma) that could result in serious complications.

The Vitamin E applied to scars is different from the Vitamin E taken orally. Vitamin E for the skin is okay.

Herbal supplements, in general, should be avoided before surgery because they can cause bleeding or other operative complications. Some herbal supplements to avoid: Ginko Biloba, Garlic, Ginseng, Ginger, Dong Quai, Ephedra, Feverfew, St. John’s Wort and/or Omega 3 fatty acids.

http://www.surgerysupplements.com/pre-operative-supplements-recommended-supplements-before-surgery/

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

I also misread your post, sorry! I started taking Multivitamin, calcium citrate, and Vitamin D after my first consult with the clinic/surgeon - about six months before surgery. I had extra Vitamin D because I had a deficiency! Then I paused for a week and started the above!

I started all of them more than a month prior. I stopped for the 2 weeks they required me to, then started up the second I got home.