Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain at Week 3-5- Failing at WLS

Hi everyone,

I am 5 weeks, almost 6 weeks since my gastric bypass. I did have an IUD put in on day 9 and haven't stopped bleeding. That might be TMI but it might help explain some things. After week 2, I got down to 261lbs. I was 283 in the hospital after surgery. I did really well. Now I'm up to 266.5. Some daily info on me is my BMR is 1962.85, I use about 2,777 calories a day, I take in about 60 to 70 oz of Water, and I eat about 800 calories a day. Why am I gaining weight? I've been around this weight for the last 3 weeks. I've heard of stalls, but a 3 week stall right out of the gate? Am I failing at weight loss surgery?

As far as exercise, I haven't been released to do anything besides walk, and I could be better at that. I will get on that actually, going to try to hit the gym tomorrow and get back on track with that.

My food looks like this:

Morning: Protein Shake with 20g Protein, 9 carbs, 7g Fiber, 2g sugar (I have to use plant based for it to not come back up) I add 8oz of almond milk and Decaf coffee. I use very low fat low sugar almond milk with 30 calories.

Lunch: either 2 pieces of sliced turkey with 2 pieces of thin sliced cheese or tuna or Greek Yogurt and a baby bel

Snack: light baby bel

Dinner: Usually the same as lunch, however, I haven't been tolerating much for dinner very well so I have had two night of cherrios and almond milk for a total of 130 calories. I was released to eat cold cereals as long as they have less than 3g of sugar.

I will take any advice, any dinner advice, any work out advice. Please help a momma out!!!

Thanks

43 minutes ago, MissLindseyR said:

Hi everyone,

I am 5 weeks, almost 6 weeks since my gastric bypass. I did have an IUD put in on day 9 and haven't stopped bleeding. That might be TMI but it might help explain some things. After week 2, I got down to 261lbs. I was 283 in the hospital after surgery. I did really well. Now I'm up to 266.5. Some daily info on me is my BMR is 1962.85, I use about 2,777 calories a day, I take in about 60 to 70 oz of Water, and I eat about 800 calories a day. Why am I gaining weight? I've been around this weight for the last 3 weeks. I've heard of stalls, but a 3 week stall right out of the gate? Am I failing at weight loss surgery?

As far as exercise, I haven't been released to do anything besides walk, and I could be better at that. I will get on that actually, going to try to hit the gym tomorrow and get back on track with that.

My food looks like this:

Morning: Protein Shake with 20g Protein, 9 carbs, 7g Fiber, 2g sugar (I have to use plant based for it to not come back up) I add 8oz of almond milk and Decaf coffee. I use very low fat low sugar almond milk with 30 calories.

Lunch: either 2 pieces of sliced turkey with 2 pieces of thin sliced cheese or tuna or Greek Yogurt and a baby bel

Dinner: Usually the same as lunch, however, I haven't been tolerating much for dinner very well so I have had two night of cherrios and almond milk for a total of 130 calories. I was released to eat cold cereals as long as they have less than 3g of sugar.

I will take any advice, any dinner advice, any work out advice. Please help a momma out!!!

Thanks

Don't worry about tiny gains. If you are not tracking body fat % as well. Just remember weight is only 1 number and even though it's called "weight loss surgery" it's not about dropping weight, it's about dropping fat. We can lose "weight" by losing muscle mass, but that's not a desired effect, so focus on the fat loss part and not the overall weight.

Once you get cleared for more exercise, ones that will allow you to strengthen, you'll notice more changes. You are not failing, just, everyone's body is different and some take longer to "figure out" what's going on with the changes, your body is being forced to totally readjust it's normal processes, your diet and intake seem really good, just keep that up, focus on healing and don't worry too much about small gains right now.

4 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Don't worry about tiny gains. If you are not tracking body fat % as well. Just remember weight is only 1 number and even though it's called "weight loss surgery" it's not about dropping weight, it's about dropping fat. We can lose "weight" by losing muscle mass, but that's not a desired effect, so focus on the fat loss part and not the overall weight.

Once you get cleared for more exercise, ones that will allow you to strengthen, you'll notice more changes. You are not failing, just, everyone's body is different and some take longer to "figure out" what's going on with the changes, your body is being forced to totally readjust it's normal processes, your diet and intake seem really good, just keep that up, focus on healing and don't worry too much about small gains right now.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I just couldn't figure out what was going on. I think I've just shocked the crap out of it, I'm hoping on Monday they will release me to do my normal workouts. I do love weight lifting, but smaller weights, more reps. And I normally do 30 mins of cardio, but it's pretty hard cardio. I haven't been to the gym since my liquid diet, they told me not to go due to being so low calorie wise during that time. I do hope I start to see more changes soon though.

1 hour ago, MissLindseyR said:

Hi everyone,

My food looks like this:

Thanks

If I were you, I'd double check with the gyno. Bleeding that long could be a sign that the IUD wasn't placed properly or that you got an infection. Any kind of infection could result in swelling.

Aside from that, Matt is right. Just because the scale isn't moving doesn't mean you're doing it wrong. How is your digestion doing? Regular bowel movements?

You're down a total of 56 pounds, that's awesome. 34 lbs since surgery. You're body is probably just making it's adjustments. Check the tape measure! Good luck!

Were you on blood-thinning shots post surgery like Lovenox? That Could explain part of the post-bleeding but Orchids and Dragons is correct ,please get it checked out at the gyno. Better to check it out and find out it's nothing than to not and have it turn into something more serious like a hysterctomy to stop the bleeding. Just because you have it in non-baby mode doesn't mean you want to give up your future motherhood dreams 👨👶👩

16 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

If I were you, I'd double check with the gyno. Bleeding that long could be a sign that the IUD wasn't placed properly or that you got an infection. Any kind of infection could result in swelling.

Aside from that, Matt is right. Just because the scale isn't moving doesn't mean you're doing it wrong. How is your digestion doing? Regular bowel movements?

You're down a total of 56 pounds, that's awesome. 34 lbs since surgery. You're body is probably just making it's adjustments. Check the tape measure! Good luck!

Thank you. I actually go here in about 30mins to have my IUD placement checked. So hopefully they will make sure everything is ok on that end. I haven't done measurements since before surgery. I'll have to check those too. Bowl movements are actually normal, it was a little rough at first, but they do great on their own. I think it's the fiber in my morning Protein Shake that help with that.

3 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Were you on blood-thinning shots post surgery like Lovenox? That Could explain part of the post-bleeding but Orchids and Dragons is correct ,please get it checked out at the gyno. Better to check it out and find out it's nothing than to not and have it turn into something more serious like a hysterctomy to stop the bleeding. Just because you have it in non-baby mode doesn't mean you want to give up your future motherhood dreams 👨👶👩

They gave me the lovenox shots at the hospital, but I did not have to do them at home. I am going to have it checked out via ultrasound today. I'm hoping maybe they can make sure everything is ok with the IUD. I just wanted to make sure my food was up to par and not too much too. I go back to the bariatric doctor on Monday. I was just nervous to not give them a loss.

2 minutes ago, MissLindseyR said:

Thank you. I actually go here in about 30mins to have my IUD placement checked. So hopefully they will make sure everything is ok on that end. I haven't done measurements since before surgery. I'll have to check those too. Bowl movements are actually normal, it was a little rough at first, but they do great on their own. I think it's the Fiber in my morning Protein Shake that help with that.

I hope everything's all right.

Definitely get some measurements now, though. It's common for measurements to go down when the weight loss stalls, so it's another way to track your progress and recognize the changes.

9 hours ago, MissLindseyR said:

Hi everyone,

My food looks like this:

Thanks

I recommend switching to unsweetened almond milk and plain yogurt, and no Cheerios during the weight loss period. And have you added up your daily Protein total with an app like MyFitnessPal yet? It seems like it may be less than 60g per day.

I'm having the same issue. I had RnY 2 weeks ago. I first week I lost 10 pounds. The second week I've gained 6 back. I'm so frustrated. The minute I went from liquid to soft foods, I started gaining.

Hi guys, I have been a silent lurker for a while.

I got my surgery on July 2nd. 2018.

I am 33 years old, 4 feet eleven inches tall. Mother of 2. On the day of surgery I was 195. By the second week I was at 180.

It has now been 1 month since the surgery and I have gained 5 lbs, lost 5 lbs, gained 2, lost 2, gained 4. It is frustrating because I got into a debt that I did not need to be able to finance this surgery. By the way, I had gastric sleeve in Miami but I don't live there and I also don't have insurance so seeing a doc is difficult.

I track all I eat through MyFitnessPal. I eat things low in sodium, no sugar or at least low in sugar ( I am a coconut Water addict) and since the surgery water is bleh . I am extremely careful about what I eat. I cook at home. I make sure I meet my Protein goals. I am used to eating healthy and more so now since the surgery.

It's frustrating to know that I got into this massive debt and I'm not losing weight. We know a ton of people that have done gastric sleeve or bypass and bands and everyone has lost weight incredibly- here I come spending money I didn't have with a surgery that isn't doing anything for me.

Bowel movements are nightmare. Since the surgery I can't unless I drink some slimming tea nothing has been done by my body naturally. If I trust my body to do its thing it wont. Ugh. For the past week I been drinking milk of magnesia and that works but it's so unpleasant.

It's sad because my mom didn't want me to get in the debt and I was so sure that I would lose the weight. People are around me were rooting for me to lose weight. So it sucks because people ask "Hey how is the weight loss, you should have dropped like 30 lbs or more by now" and I be like "Naw, fam. I GAINED 5"

It sucks to disappoint. I don't know what to do. I give up.

Edited by HouseTargaryan

12 hours ago, MarinaGirl said:

I recommend switching to unsweetened almond milk and plain yogurt, and no Cheerios during the weight loss period. And have you added up your daily Protein total with an app like MyFitnessPal yet? It seems like it may be less than 60g per day.

I do use the unsweetened almond milk. I try to eat my greek yogurt, but where I was stuck on it for so long, I can't stomach too much. I did eat a bout 75% of one yesterday. I also did not do my cheerios last night, but I only got in about 500 calories. Night time is the hardest, my stomach doesn't seem to want much.

My IUD is in place per my doctor and everything on that end is good. Thank you everyone for the advice.