Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I had my Gastric bypass surgery July 19th. I am currently on Clear Liquids and I having the worse time. I did so much research and thought I was mentally prepared for this but it is way more emotionally taxing than I ever expected. I just want to chew. I still cannot identify when I'm hungry and when I'm full. I doubt I'm eating enough. And I feel down mostly at meal time. I know I wanted this surgery for years but it's so hard.

Sent from my SM-G965F using BariatricPal mobile app

It is hard emotionally if you are not exactly ready, but you have arrived. Only way is forward, and it does get better. You can do it, day by day you'll win every emotional battle that you are willing to fight. Stay Hydrated, read/paint/watch trash TV, stay busy, try to be positive but throw a pity party when you need to. You absolutely got this!

Safe Journey!!!!

It is hard emotionally if you are not exactly ready, but you have arrived. Only way is forward, and it does get better. You can do it, day by day you'll win every emotional battle that you are willing to fight. Stay Hydrated, read/paint/watch trash TV, stay busy, try to be positive but throw a pity party when you need to. You absolutely got this!
Safe Journey!!!!
Oh man! Thanks so much. I know this is what I have wanted since I found out how Star Jones lost all her weight. I battle my entire life and I am doing this for me but also for the benefit of my 2 year old. He deserves a mom who can play with him for more than 2 mins. I am so grateful for this opportunity and for my new bffs in this forum.

You're in the hard part. I swear it gets better. Hang in there...the fun part is coming:)

You just went through a huge life changing experience.You body is doing things and feeling alien to you.But it does get better.Its a difficult adjustment initially,but think of it this way you are learning to listen,learn,and enjoy the new you!

You're in the hard part. I swear it gets better. Hang in there...the fun part is coming:)
Thank you. I will

You just went through a huge life changing experience.You body is doing things and feeling alien to you.But it does get better.Its a difficult adjustment initially,but think of it this way you are learning to listen,learn,and enjoy the new you!
Yes your right.. I guess I am not sure what hunger feels like ...and I guess my whole life I would eat past the point of full. So it's all new to me belive it or not.

@George OG. After hearing about the betrayal and pain you've been experiencing at home, it's emotionally stirring to see how big your heart is and how mindful you still are to the pain of others. Not only do you have a deep, abiding love for your child, but you also seem to have an endless capacity to love and care about others. Don't allow the people in your life who used to embrace you, harden your heart. It's easy to become bitter. Be strong. You are a good person. You deserve to be loved and cherished.:)

@lilybilly I am six weeks post-op. My body is still trying to figure it all out, too. Our problems are different, but our struggle is the same. I keep repeating to myself what I've heard others say, "It'll get better, every day. Hang in there." The one thing I know for sure: I made the right choice to have this surgery. :1311_thumbsup_tone2:

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

@George. After hearing about the betrayal and pain you've been experiencing at home, it's emotionally stirring to see how big your heart is and how mindful you still are to the pain of others. Not only do you have a deep, abiding love for your child, but you also seem to have an endless capacity to love and care about others. Don't allow the people in your life who used to embrace you, harden your heart. It's easy to become bitter. Be strong. You are a good person. You deserve to be loved and cherished.[emoji4]
[mention=332911]lilybilly[/mention] I am six weeks post-op. My body is still trying to figure it all out, too. Our problems are different, but our struggle is the same. I keep repeating to myself what I've heard others say, "It'll get better, every day. Hang in there." The one thing I know for sure: I made the right choice to have this surgery. :1311_thumbsup_tone2:
Thank you. I will use that.

On 07/27/2018 at 19:01, lilybilly said:

So I had my Gastric bypass surgery July 19th. I am currently on Clear Liquids and I having the worse time. I did so much research and thought I was mentally prepared for this but it is way more emotionally taxing than I ever expected. I just want to chew. I still cannot identify when I'm hungry and when I'm full. I doubt I'm eating enough. And I feel down mostly at meal time. I know I wanted this surgery for years but it's so hard.

A lot of people had luck with making “snow cone” ice to chew on. I personally bought a bag of Sonics nugget ice to chew on. It helped a lot.

So I haven't had surgery yet, so I am definitely not speaking from experience (SORRY!), but I wanted to share an article by one of my all-time favorite authors who had WLS this past January. She wrote a memoir about her body/weight a year or two ago and between that and this article I feel like so many of my feelings/thoughts/anxieties were echoed and processed in a really thoughtful way. Even on the pre-op diet it's been hard to separate out head hunger vs. physical hunger vs. the need to feel like I'm chewing something as well as the emotional part (feels stupid but there is a bit of mourning food that is happening for me).

"The Body that Understands what Fullness is" by Roxane Gay

https://medium.com/s/unrulybodies/the-body-that-understands-what-fullness-is-f2e40c40cd75

Hang in there- it gets so much better . Just focus on each stage and you’ll be ok in no time :)

So I haven't had surgery yet, so I am definitely not speaking from experience (SORRY!), but I wanted to share an article by one of my all-time favorite authors who had WLS this past January. She wrote a memoir about her body/weight a year or two ago and between that and this article I feel like so many of my feelings/thoughts/anxieties were echoed and processed in a really thoughtful way. Even on the pre-op diet it's been hard to separate out head hunger vs. physical hunger vs. the need to feel like I'm chewing something as well as the emotional part (feels stupid but there is a bit of mourning food that is happening for me).
"The Body that Understands what Fullness is" by Roxane Gay
https://medium.com/s/unrulybodies/the-body-that-understands-what-fullness-is-f2e40c40cd75
Thank you.. I will check out the link.

Hang in there- it gets so much better . Just focus on each stage and you’ll be ok in no time :)
Thanks I will

Honestly, I think the pre-op diet is mostly there to switch us from one way of eating (excess, pizza, burgers, milkshakes, everything is permitted) to another (protein shakes, cottage cheese, sugar free greek yogurt, nothing else in the whole world.)

THEN, once we've had the surgery, the surgery more or less tells us when to back off of our augmented digestive systems and our newer habits feature a fridge full of Powerade zero and Premier Protein shakes.

It's like, first we replace the bullets with blanks, then we limit the cartridge capacity to a 1/4 of a bullet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app