Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision Band to GB or DS. I’m Stuck in a decision

I was set up to have the DS on AUG 13th, but I may go for the RNY do to my doctor just had spinal surgery and he is saying that he will not be physically capable of performing the DS by my surgery date. I can push the date out and have the DS done, but all of my support from family flying in and papers have been set for my current date and they are very hard to change.

My Surgery is Aug 13th. And I was excited til today. My Surgeon is basically putting it in my hands to choose. He says that the DS would be better for me. But because there may be complications do to the band not easy to remove that he may not be able to put the sleeve part of the DS and he would probably have to do the RNY anyway.

I was mentally prepared for the DS, but now I’m conflicted. I really don’t want to push out my date again.

As a band to bypass patient, I'm very happy with my RNY. The DS is sorta like a sleeve and then an intestinal reroute similar to the bypass. Acid Reflux issues like those that get the sleeve are common with the DS as well, but is not a side effect with the bypass. Something to ponder over as well.

http://obesityreporter.com/duodenal-switch/complications/

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease or GERD

-
This medical condition is caused when acid in the stomach backs up into the esophagus, which can cause discomfort and a burning sensation known as heartburn. Many patients will experience these GERD symptoms before surgery and many will occur following surgery as well because of the rerouting technique used.

As a band to bypass patient, I'm very happy with my RNY. The DS is sorta like a sleeve and then an intestinal reroute similar to the bypass. Acid Reflux issues like those that get the sleeve are common with the DS as well, but is not a side effect with the bypass. Something to ponder over as well.

http://obesityreporter.com/duodenal-switch/complications/

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease or GERD

- This medical condition is caused when acid in the stomach backs up into the esophagus, which can cause discomfort and a burning sensation known as heartburn. Many patients will experience these GERD symptoms before surgery and many will occur following surgery as well because of the rerouting technique used.

How long have you had your band and how are you with it after the time you’ve had it?

16 minutes ago, Tyreebme said:

How long have you had your band and how are you with it after the time you’ve had it?

I had the band installed in 2011. I did ok with it, had lots of little problems, and in the long run I lost 70ish and that was it. I had the band removed and revised to the bypass on the 21st of March of this year. Down 69.1 lbs since starting my pre-op diet. I'm the lowest weight I've been in like 18 years. I honestly wish I went with the bypass instead of the band back in 2011. Very happy with the bypass thus far.

I would go with what your research and feelings tells you is the best for you in the long term. The surgeries have different "personalities" that make them a better fit for some than others; get the wrong one for you and you can wind up dissatisfied with the results and headed for a revision. If you feel that you need the extra strength and regain resistance of the DS, then the RNY is not a substitute, and revising that to a DS is no simple matter (there are only a handful of surgeons around with the skills and experience to perform those. I have seen a couple of band to RNY to DS patients come through our support group and they obviously wished that they had done the DS in the first place (but didn't really know about it, or were persuaded by their surgeon to do the bypass since they didn't perform the DS. Since you are well aware of the DS and have the option available, you are in a good position to make a well informed choice as to what is likely best for your needs.

Note that my wife has a DS (13+ years post op) so I know well it's ups and downs, and it was the right move for her. I went with the VSG as that better fit my needs, so it is an individual situation. If you have already decided on the DS, think about whether your long term needs would be overly compromised by going with what is more convenient in the short term.

I just postponed my surgery by 3 weeks switching my decision from RNY to DS. I feel the DS will help me maintain the weight loss, where many RNYers battle regain after a few to several years.

Since you're revisioning, you may find weight loss more difficult than someone who is getting a new fresh surgery - so you may want to opt for the more powerful bariatric procedure.

If it were me, I'd weight and get the superior surgery (for you). Your surgeon told you he feels the DS is better for you - I'd go with his professional recommendation.

Edited by _Shane_

Busy looking at revising from a band to an RNY. What is the difference between that and the DS.Are there long term stats on weight loss, regain etc?