Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I am 1 Month and 5 days post op from VSG! I know when you have a lot to lose, the weight comes off a lot quicker in the beginning. I started my journey at BMI of 35 and I now BMI of 31(total of 13.2lbs). I weigh myself every morning and the scale doesn't seem to be moving. I would lose 0.4lbs and the next morning, I would gain 0.6lbs then lose 1.2lbs, then gain 1.4lbs....it is getting so frustrating. should I just stop weighing myself? how do you keep track? I HATE the scale and it is really ticking me off! I also can't help but to weigh myself every morning. LOL...it's like an addiction. How do you keep yourself motivated through this process. I just started a month ago so I need some advice!

I'm into head games. Although I weigh nearly every day, the only one that "counts" (gets written down) is Saturday morning. My brain is ok with the fluctuations during the week, but usually comparing one Saturday to the next I'll see a pound or two. Also, write down your measurements once a week. Those almost always go down some, even if the scale isn't cooperating :)

Hi everyone! I am 1 Month and 5 days post op from VSG! I know when you have a lot to lose, the weight comes off a lot quicker in the beginning. I started my journey at BMI of 35 and I now BMI of 31(total of 13.2lbs). I weigh myself every morning and the scale doesn't seem to be moving. I would lose 0.4lbs and the next morning, I would gain 0.6lbs then lose 1.2lbs, then gain 1.4lbs....it is getting so frustrating. should I just stop weighing myself? how do you keep track? I HATE the scale and it is really ticking me off! I also can't help but to weigh myself every morning. LOL...it's like an addiction. How do you keep yourself motivated through this process. I just started a month ago so I need some advice!
What about your NSV (non scale victories). Are your clothes fitting better? Do you have more energy? Don't focus so much on the scale and don't compare your weight loss to others.

Sleeved on April 25, 2018
HW: 258
SW: 238
CW: 218
GW: 165

I'm in the same boat as you. I should of learned my lesson weighing myself every day when I had the sleeve, and after the revision to bypass I was doing well just once or twice a week. Now, I am into the same routine of weighing myself every day and it is so frustrating. From surgery on May 30th, to today June 26th, almost a month post op I only lost 10 pounds. I feel like so many other are losing at a faster rate. I know its not good to compare, but some days I feel helpless like this will be another failed surgery =/ so your not alone!

True frustration: my husband hid my scale. I told him to but now he won't give it back. In his defense, I was getting annoyingly obsessive. I am a multiple times a day weigher btw.

I have no advice, other than to say just hang in there. It's science right? Eventually it has to work.

1 hour ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Although I weigh nearly every day, the only one that "counts" (gets written down) is Saturday morning.

I love this idea!

My scale has been hidden now also. I have decided to start weighing just once a month.

The only weigh-ins that "count" for me are the ones at my surgeon's office. I weigh myself fairly frequently at home, but I don't record those anywhere. I just use them for mental checks, especially when I've changed stages in the diet to see if I'm still on track, or if I've hit a stall to see when it breaks.

3 hours ago, fabu1978 said:

I had a starting BMI of 35 as well. I had my gastric sleeve done on 11.17.17, and in the beginning was SO frustrated with slow weight loss! I was exactly the same as you. I would see all of these people posting huge losses and would be so down. I think I had only lost 7 - 8 lbs in the first month, then 12lbs by month 2 - so you are still losing at a faster rate than I was :) I just had to keep telling myself that even though my weight loss was slow, it was still more that I had been able to do on my own. I am now 7 months out, and 40 lbs down, and even though I have a ways to go, I feel so much better. I still have 17 lbs before I am I normal BMI, but I know I will get there. Just hang in there and trust the process - it will work!

same! 1 month post op today and I haven't lost any weight in the last week, (but i'm down 13 lbs overall since surgery). this CAN happen as our bodies figure out the new normal. Not to worry it will go down again. I know it's hard though. it's so exciting when you see the weight number go down! I try not to weigh in every day but it's too hard not to.

My BMI was 30 on sleeve day. I was actually losing faster pre band to sleeve revision than I am now, HOWEVER, I am much more comfortable and healthy now! Additionally, even though I FEEL like things are going slowly, I just realized that the “only 20 pounds” I’ve lost in these 5 weeks post-op its me HALF WAY to my goal!!!!

On 06/29/2018 at 21:29, Screwballski said:

My BMI was 30 on sleeve day. I was actually losing faster pre band to sleeve revision than I am now, HOWEVER, I am much more comfortable and healthy now! Additionally, even though I FEEL like things are going slowly, I just realized that the “only 20 pounds” I’ve lost in these 5 weeks post-op its me HALF WAY to my goal!!!!
HW: 260
SW: 180
CW: 160
GW: 140

If you have an iphone download happy scale and enter your weight everyday and it’ll tell you in how long you’ll be a certain weight and it gets more and more accurate as you have more entries because it tracks your percentage. This is the best thing I could have done because I too weigh myself so much that it could be considered aerobics the amount of times i hop on and off that scale 🤣🤣

Yo-Yo Girl from New York City :)