Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain Management with My On-Q Pump

I had my VSG this morning. During my procedure the surgeon put the ON-Q pump (this is not a narcotic pump). Because of this pump I have absolutely no pain in or around my surgical area. I’m walking a lot more than the other ladies that had their procedure this Morning with another. Since I’m waking some I have little to no gas. I would recommend all future patients talk to there doctor about this pump. It really helps.

What is ON-Q
ON-Q* is a postoperative, non-narcotic pain relief system designed to deliver local anesthetic to or near the surgical site through specially designed catheters – Providing patients days of targeted pain relief after surgery.

I had this too! Bloody miracle!!! I had open surgery, 8 inch scar - and no surgical pain!!

Last week I had my gallbladder out, laparoscopic. Tiny incision in my belly button without the xylocaine pump was way worse!

I had it, too. It was a miracle worker. And it lets you go with much lower doses of opioid pain killers, so you don't have all the side-effects like Constipation. I did still need pain killers, but that was for spasms in my lower back, not the surgery. Did you guys remove your catheters yourself?

I had one of these as well, I did remove it myself. Wasn't bad even when I took it out. I took the tylenol with codeine to help me sleep sitting up (gas pain). At least it kept me asleep for two hours at a time. I probably didn't need the codeine for pain since it did nothing for gas pain. It does sort of make you not care that it hurts though...

38 minutes ago, okayestmom said:

I had one of these as well, I did remove it myself. Wasn't bad even when I took it out. I took the tylenol with codeine to help me sleep sitting up (gas pain). At least it kept me asleep for two hours at a time. I probably didn't need the codeine for pain since it did nothing for gas pain. It does sort of make you not care that it hurts though...

I took mine out, it felt all squiggly inside :o The whole idea totally freaked out my hubby, though!

ON-Q pumps are an old dying thing. They're often filled with Naropin. They work fine, but now there is Exparel. Which basically works the same as an ON-Q pump, but instead of a giant ball hanging out of your abdomen by ON-Q catheters that you have to carry around. They just inject the exparel into you and it works for 48 to 72 hours just like the ON-Q without all the crap sticking out of and attached to you.

We used to use on-qs for every bariatric case and many other cases, now they're almost completely extinct from our hospital. And ON-QS have quite a reputation for falling out and getting removed prematurely. They sometimes would even fall out before patients got out of the operating room

Edited by Mhy12784