Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today, I totally binged.

I don't really need anyone to tell me how awful this is, but I did feel like venting my frustration with myself.

Today, I totally binged. I wasn't even hungry and yet I ate. All day long. And not even good things. As soon as I didn't feel full anymore, I felt the urge to eat again. And I KNEW I wasn't hungry. I just wanted to feel full. And I'm not even talking good choices. I'm talking chocolate chunk cookie from wendy's, small chili with 3 packs of saltines!, white cheddar popcorn, a slice of pizza, salad, another chocolate chip cookie. And probably something else I've forgotten by now. Also- sweet tea. I know better than all of these things. Does anyone else ever experience this? What triggers it for you?

While I can't control something that's stressing me out, I can control how I react to it, so I'm looking for tips

For others who experience the desire to binge, what are some things you do to distract yourself or turn that off?

Forgive yourself and move on, wean back off the carbs - this sometimes makes cravings easier to handle. Plan some treats for once a week in a controlled setting, when you start to reach for something, take deep breath and say - you know I'll wait until Saturday and have that super favorite treat that I planned, I can wait. Drink some Water, get a Protein snack and take a walk, take a bath, read a book, go shopping. Move out of the room where the food is.....(don't buy more of the trigger foods and don't lie to yourself)

Just before your hand touches that food, think 'what is my frame of mind here?' Am I anxious, am I wrestling with a decision, a task I find distasteful, am I avoiding making changes, is someone challenging me, am I feeling insecure? Chances are food was a calming or numbing source for dealing with something.

And sometimes for 2 or 3 days you might need a few more calories and your body needs 'something' to keep going - I am usually short on sleep and using food to keep going when I really just need a nap. Hang in there.

@oopsydaisy Binges are usually triggered. A food therapist helps work through the things that trigger you to binge or overeat. Are you able to access one of those?

There is not one single obese person who cannot relate to this. I dare say 100 percent of people who are obese have binged. The WLS does not cure the emotional/phycological reasons why we use food to medicate our self so its a process of working through not only WLS but the issues behind overeating.

Don't give up! But recognize it for what it is and pursue the help/therapy to pin point your triggers and then tackle those.

Sometimes what we view as setbacks are actually things that manifest so that we can see that there are actually STILL issues we need to work out and not only the surgery related things.

We are a work in progress and its up to us how far we are willing to go beyond just the surface stuff to really reach a breakthrough that brings real change. Do not beat yourself up for falling off the wagon today but don't get comfortable either.

Keep going!!! I am sure there are practical things that help with binge cravings. I am told drinking the 64 oz of liquid and getting the 80 grams of Protein helps keep hunger, which leads to binges, at bay. Are you meeting those targets?

Edited by BajanSleeve

You are not alone. Everyone has bad days or they are fibbing ☺. If we all had perfect control over food, surgery would not be necessary.

My answer to hunger has been Water. On the days when I feel hungry/hangry I have realized that I wasn't drinking enough water. This made me be better about tracking water and protien. It also made me find some water enhancers. I go every other with regular water and flavoring/tea.

Relax, that was another day. Today is a new one. You can do it!

I am sorry, I know you wanted real advice and all I have to say is WATER. I swear it helps. 😊

As has been said, we all have bad days. Move on and don't beat yourself up about it. What's done is done

For me, I keep low cal options around for when I just feel the need to eat. I almost always have cucumbers, ff coleslaw and pickles in my fridge. I can eat those all I want and not do any caloric damage.

What a timely topic -- I went off the reservation yesterday. Its honestly the first true binge I've had since surgery. I was at a conference, had a Think Thin Protein Bar mid-morning (I typically avoid Protein bars), then I was famished at 1 when lunch was served and ate half a turkey wrap for lunch with 6 potato chips (there were no good options at this meeting), and by the time I got home I was in full binge mode. Not sure if the trigger was stress from the conference or carbs from the protein bar (22 g carbs), then half wrap and chips (39 carbs guesstimate). Day ended with 1,663 calories and 126 carbs, ugh!! Glad to read that this has happened to others, and I feel back under control this morning. Oh, and I tracked it all in its awful glory...

I totally understand your actions...I'm 5 months out today and I binged pretty hard last night with old bad food choices...i felt like I couldn't get full so I continued to eat what I desired nooooow...I ask myself why did I just do that...the conviction is punishment enough so I forgave myself and said the Lord has bought me too far to mess up now. It happens this isn't the end...we still have the opportunity to start over regroup and keep pushing....WE GOT THIS...in the Lord's strength!

Thank you for your gentle testimony. I started reading. the preceding posters and thought OMSS that's one step,lower than OMG, am I going to do this challenge well. I'm still ptesurgical, I've done the leatn8ng , I certainly know in my head how things are supposed to go. When I read yours I was reminded he truly was and is a Sweet Savior, he didn't come to earth for just the people who,were born having their act,perfected but also for us that do have our moments of weakness, even Saint Peter had his, to show by his example forgiveness is always at hand, and. that you can still move forward towards the final goal. Thank you again , BinaBina, let's join hands 🙏and keep going forward. We truly will make it!😝

Thank you all for the positive words ♥ Today has been easier and I feel better armed for these things going forward!

One reason I won't do keto...is that I will eventually lose my shite, and binge on Keto. It's inevitable. (for me)

If my body doesn't get enough carbs......I will eventually end up falling off a cliff. I can bide my time for a while, but it's a constant heinous struggle. I crave sugar, I feel tired, my brain doesn't feel sharp, I feel cranky and out of sorts. And I hate struggling. Sucks the joy out of life.

For me....avoiding binges came down to changing my diet to lots of carbs....but the low glycemic whole grain and legume kind, and natural sugar in whole fruit. mayo Clinic Diet is a perfect fit for me, and I love it. My nutritionist and doc approve. And I've never been happier with how I eat.

I eat a ton of carbs....and I don't have any urge to binge. None. This past year...has been the first time in my life I've felt comfortably in control of my eating.

I do eat naughty things once in a while, but my diet limits sugary treats/refined carbs to 75 calories worth per day. (If I know I want 250 calories worth of birthday cake at a party at the end of the week...I'll save my 75 calories per day and bank for the splurge) With this system, I don't have to deny myself anything. Eating healthy carbs daily...I don't crave sugar. It's much easier to pass junk up and make better choices. The last time I had a treat I'd banked for, it honestly kinda grossed me out and I wanted a big glass of Water.

To each, their own. Everyone's different. Wanted to share...cause I understand binges...and this finally worked for me.

mayo pyr.jpg

I have a question for all of you who have binged after surgery.... Did any of you get sick after? Nausea? Vomiting? I have had cravings but I wanted and needed this surgery so badly that I can’t possibly cave in to my cravings. My bad habits and cravings got me to my heaviest and I’m terrified to eat something I’m not supposed to. After all the guilt I felt eating unhealthy before surgery, I definitely don’t wanna feel after surgery.

6 minutes ago, Drea1007 said:

I have a question for all of you who have binged after surgery.... Did any of you get sick after? Nausea? Vomiting? I have had cravings but I wanted and needed this surgery so badly that I can’t possibly cave in to my cravings. My bad habits and cravings got me to my heaviest and I’m terrified to eat something I’m not supposed to. After all the guilt I felt eating unhealthy before surgery, I definitely don’t wanna feel after surgery.

I feel emotionally terrible that I had such a bad food day, so keep resisting! :-)

3 minutes ago, Drea1007 said:

This VSG will definitely NOT stop you from binging. It will be harder to do, because your stomach capacity is smaller. But you can eat unhealthy things, you can take breaks and then keep eating as room becomes available in your sleeve. I personally have not had any bad reaction to foods, either healthy or unhealthy. Some people do, but it is not something you can count on as a deterrent.

I know it is said over and over again, and it seems cliche, but is is 100% accurate. The sleeve is only a tool.

The sleeve will only help you eat less in one sitting. It will not influence your cravings, it may or may not influence your hunger levels, it will not stop you from eating many times a day. It is up to each of us to make sure that what we eat is healthy and we are limiting our quantities.

Exactly -- it helps you with the meal you are eating. For instance, yesterday, my son got pizza and I had a piece. By the time I got to the crust, I was full, so no crust, and no second (or third or fourth) piece. That is the advantage of the sleeve, IMO.

Tonight, I had steamed salmon. Did you know you can throw a frozen piece in a pressure cooker and its ready in 5 minutes?? The piece was over 6 ounces, and I ate until I was satisfied/satiated, which was about half of the piece. Shared some leftovers with my dog and saved the rest for Breakfast.

Edited by Apple203

Try marinating salmon in soy sauce, lemon pepper, and splenda brown sugar for a few hours. Then, throw it on the grill for a couple of minutes on each side.

OMG, so good!