Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not a kilo lost through Gastric Sleeve :(

I know that you said you did not want to be judged for not being heavy enough, BUT you are not heavy enough for gastric bypass. Please do not mistake this comment for judement, the STRUGGLE IS REAL and your pain is real.

Research says that bariatric surgery should only be done on low BMI patients if they have uncontrolled diabetes and the gastric sleeve would be the preferred choice. Low BMI by surgical standards is still 30-35, which you are still below.

Here in the U.S. physicians take an oath to "do no harm". I do have to question any bariatric surgeon that would perform gastric bypass on a patient at such a low weight/BMI. Inducing a malabsorptive state on someone with very little to lose is irresponsible. Losing weight might happen, but so will other Vitamin deficiencies if you are not eating right.

I am not trying to be judgemental, but please consider other options before going "under the knife" again.

Bajansleeve, thank you. I think no matter what size one is at, there are those insecurities and you’re right, there is that aha moment. And I’m there. I have 13kg to lose and I just need to do it. The doctor believes I have a hormone imbalance. I think he did the surgery and thought, ‘hmm she’s not big enough’ and took less out. It’s left me with chronic GERD which I’ve never had. I don’t even have to eat anything to get it and it comes on strong when I don’t eat or feel hungry. That hunger comes back 20 mins after I’ve eaten a full meal and I try discipline myself but then cave in. Together with doing 14 hour shifts and I’m quite active at work, my habits will always change. And not for the better. So yes. That calorie allowance can go out the window. Oh. And I can eat a full meal like everyone else. Where’s my sleeve? Lol.
I hope things are working the way you want them too. Again, thank you.

Sleeved36. I take what you have said on board. I don’t really want to do this surgery however it’s how you feel in your skin. I’m trying again as we speak. Thank you for your feedback. I’m not taking it as a negative, I’m looking for responses with people who have had this surgery. :)

On 6/20/2018 at 9:00 AM, Saddy said:

Bajansleeve, thank you. I think no matter what size one is at, there are those insecurities and you’re right, there is that aha moment. And I’m there. I have 13kg to lose and I just need to do it. The doctor believes I have a hormone imbalance. I think he did the surgery and thought, ‘hmm she’s not big enough’ and took less out. It’s left me with chronic GERD which I’ve never had. I don’t even have to eat anything to get it and it comes on strong when I don’t eat or feel hungry. That hunger comes back 20 mins after I’ve eaten a full meal and I try discipline myself but then cave in. Together with doing 14 hour shifts and I’m quite active at work, my habits will always change. And not for the better. So yes. That calorie allowance can go out the window. Oh. And I can eat a full meal like everyone else. Where’s my sleeve? Lol.
I hope things are working the way you want them too. Again, thank you.

If you have uncontrolled GERD (and medication has been tried but isn't managing it), it might be the GERD making you feel that you are hungry again so soon after eating? stomach acid can feel like hunger, and eating more can temporarily make it feel better again. The GERD would also be a reasonable reason to convert to bypass even with the lower BMI, but you would have to then be even more meticulous with your Vitamins and foods because of the malabsorption post surgery. That you can eat a full regular-sized meal post sleeve is a concern. Have you had a scan done to check the size/shape of your sleeve? you are now 1 year post op, most people have reported only being able to eat about a cup of food at a time by this point.

Edited by Taoz

Hi Taoz. Thanks for your reply. ThE GERD is so bad I can’t even explain it. Even strong meds don’t seem to control it. Prior to surgery I’d never experienced this however post op, it’s been quite bad. I have had a fizz test and it came up higher than most I believe at about 95cc. Most start points are in the 60’s. I can eat a lot and then I’m hungry 20 mins later even if I am full. It’s horrible. I actually don’t want to do this surgery but I feel like I’m going downhill. I’ve never been this hungry and I’m gaining more weight than I ever had.

Hi Badjan. I wish I’d read this before I had my surgery. I didn’t know those therapists existed and I would def have gone that path.

I’ve posted my journey on another thread, basically I went in for my three day bypass and hospital stay and well, 3 weeks on and I’m still in hospital. Had the most horrific complications. Yup. I’m the 1% chance that can have complications. Anyhow, have a read. It is a very brief summary...