Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pity Party - WAAAAAAAH!

I’m sorry you’re going through this! I hope you’re able to find some support/relief soon.

10 minutes ago, foxcblue said:

I’m sorry you’re going through this! I hope you’re able to find some support/relief soon.

Thanks so much!

Good lord, that sounds rough. Though I am curious - did you have an upper GI series before surgery? I thought it was a surgical prerequisite, and I'm kind of surprised they didn't see it then. I don't mean at all to put doubts in your head about your surgeon, but between flat-out saying he doesn't think there's anything that can be done and essentially putting you off two months before seeing you again... More expert opinion is needed, and maybe a little querying about what was seen on that original GI study.

9 hours ago, sideeye said:

Good lord, that sounds rough. Though I am curious - did you have an upper GI series before surgery? I thought it was a surgical prerequisite, and I'm kind of surprised they didn't see it then. I don't mean at all to put doubts in your head about your surgeon, but between flat-out saying he doesn't think there's anything that can be done and essentially putting you off two months before seeing you again... More expert opinion is needed, and maybe a little querying about what was seen on that original GI study.

No, there wasn't one. I was asked if I had reflux or acid problems, but I said no. I had always had the proverbial cast-iron stomach. Absolutely nothing bothered it. My mom used to joke that I could drink hydrochloric acid and it wouldn't bother me :o

And, really, now that I'm back to Soups and yogurts (can't really handle even mushy foods) I'm feeling so much better. I'm sleeping, I've started to get more energy, etc. I think I was really making myself much worse trying to eat solids. So for right now, I'm good with how it's going. Pity-party is officially over :D

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

3 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

And, really, now that I'm back to Soups and yogurts (can't really handle even mushy foods) I'm feeling so much better. I'm sleeping, I've started to get more energy, etc. I think I was really making myself much worse trying to eat solids. So for right now, I'm good with how it's going. Pity-party is officially over :D

So glad that things are turning around, even if it's just coping with your situation. Glad you are sleeping, and higher energy! Keep thinking positively.

3 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

So glad that things are turning around, even if it's just coping with your situation. Glad you are sleeping, and higher energy! Keep thinking positively.

Thanks, Ash. Yes, it's amazing how sleeping through the night will improve your attitude! Even if one is married to a werewolf!

I'm so sorry to hear this. ((hugs)) And at last! Some explanations and a bit of sleep and maybe the stress will start to reside too! Again, huge hugs and bless your heart. :(

Please ask your PCP for the referral to the GI doc asap and don't dic with your surgeon. If for no other reason, than this is something that your internist (PCP) handles coordination of since it involves your total health. Of course, keep the surgeon in the loop, but it's ridic he won't give you an official dx. You need that and deserve it. And he forked up and SHOULD have done the GI series prior to surg. He's probably terrified this will come back to haunt him. You can relay to the GI doc that he doesn't want you to have another EGD right away. But there IS other meds: (things like a GI cocktail, anti-spasmodics and WAY better antacids than OTC drugs in addition to omeprazol. Things that will help soothe the inflammation in the esophagus. And there may even be a specialized diet (on top of the puree or soft diet) that will help that will mean you avoid certain foods that are high acid, or whatevs.

There are special exercise that might help and it is entirely possible that core strengthening might provide a little added help. I second the request for a speech therapy eval.

Hope you feel more relief and get better answers soon!

13 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I'm so sorry to hear this. ((hugs)) And at last! Some explanations and a bit of sleep and maybe the stress will start to reside too! Again, huge hugs and bless your heart. :(

Please ask your PCP for the referral to the GI doc asap and don't dic with your surgeon. If for no other reason, than this is something that your internist (PCP) handles coordination of since it involves your total health. Of course, keep the surgeon in the loop, but it's ridic he won't give you an official dx. You need that and deserve it. And he forked up and SHOULD have done the GI series prior to surg. He's probably terrified this will come back to haunt him. You can relay to the GI doc that he doesn't want you to have another EGD right away. But there IS other meds: (things like a GI cocktail, anti-spasmodics and WAY better antacids than OTC drugs in addition to omeprazol. Things that will help soothe the inflammation in the esophagus. And there may even be a specialized diet (on top of the puree or soft diet) that will help that will mean you avoid certain foods that are high acid, or whatevs.

There are special exercise that might help and it is entirely possible that core strengthening might provide a little added help. I second the request for a speech therapy eval.

Hope you feel more relief and get better answers soon!

Thanks, Fluffy! It's good to see you again! I see my PCP in a month and I will discuss this with her. I'll also discuss it next week with the bariatric coordinator at the hospital to determine my best course of action.

I am already avoided spicy or acidic foods because they burn on the way down. And I already do several core-strengthening exercises, so that may be some help.

Thanks for your concern and support, I always appreciate your advice!

2 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Thanks, Fluffy! It's good to see you again!

Yeah it is good to see you again, @FluffyChix!

I don’t know if this will help (you probably already tried this) but I chew everything until it is the consistency of puréed food before swallowing. Every bite. It takes forever. As a former lap bander, it’s second nature.

6 minutes ago, Screwballski said:

I don’t know if this will help (you probably already tried this) but I chew everything until it is the consistency of puréed food before swallowing. Every bite. It takes forever. As a former lap bander, it’s second nature.

Thanks, but no, it did't help. I can eat soft veggies that way, but no meats, even fish gets stuck if I have more than a couple of bites. Part of my problem is probably not enough saliva (I'm on diuretics) and that makes it even more difficult. Thanks for your suggestion.

Light bulb moment!!!

I really, really, really didn't want yogurt for dinner again tonight. We had leftover baked chicken from last night and it was soooo calling my name. I knew I couldn't just eat the chicken, but we have grapes, too. Nice, juicy ones. I managed to eat a little bit of chicken, a grape to wash it down, a little bit of chicken, another grape . . . I ate an ounce and a half of chicken!!! In one sitting!!! JOY!!!

I feel so stupid for not figuring this out earlier.

Don’t beat yourself up!!! I’ve found I have to have some sort of sauce/sour cream/smooth consistency or the meat has to be extremely flaky or fatty otherwise I don’t do well either. Plain chicken breast is honestly the worst for me.

And congrats on eating chicken!!!

I had to take a swallow test to determine if I was a candidate for sleeve. Turns out I’m not. I had acid reflux and esophagus muscles that would not push the food through. So 8 days ago I had bypass. On full liquids still, Soups, yogurt, etc. but, so far, so good. Sleeve-bypass May be your best bet. Good luck!

12 hours ago, boardlady@netptc.net said:

I had to take a swallow test to determine if I was a candidate for sleeve. Turns out I’m not. I had acid reflux and esophagus muscles that would not push the food through. So 8 days ago I had bypass. On full liquids still, Soups, yogurt, etc. but, so far, so good. Sleeve-bypass May be your best bet. Good luck!

Thanks! You're the first person I've heard of with a similar problem!