Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband to bypass waiting on insurance blah

Hey all had lapband in 07 lost about 60lbs or so but have had issues like Gerd and random tightening throughout last 5 years or so had it drained gained all weight back. Went through 6 months diet for insurance and did EGD which doctor said band looked good didn’t see any major issues. I’ve been waiting on insurance approval for about a week or so but having major anxiety about being denied for not enough issues with band. Anyone have experience with this? how long did it take for approval did you call or did it show up online as approved?

7 hours ago, swimmer0302 said:

Hey all had lapband in 07 lost about 60lbs or so but have had issues like Gerd and random tightening throughout last 5 years or so had it drained gained all weight back. Went through 6 months diet for insurance and did EGD which doctor said band looked good didn’t see any major issues. I’ve been waiting on insurance approval for about a week or so but having major anxiety about being denied for not enough issues with band. Anyone have experience with this? how long did it take for approval did you call or did it show up online as approved?

Pretty much the same story here. Banded in 2011, lost 70 lbs, various issues with foods, etc etc etc.

My initial approval was denied because Insurance required a 6 month medically supervised diet, so I did all that, and it took 2-3 weeks for the approval the second time around. My Revision Surgery was on March 21st. As long as you jumped through their hoops, you should be all set!

Great to hear! What insurance did you have at the time I have anthem BCBS hopefully they’re not a difficult one to get approved by.

On 6/11/2018 at 10:49 AM, swimmer0302 said:

Great to hear! What insurance did you have at the time I have anthem BCBS hopefully they’re not a difficult one to get approved by.

Sorry I missed this reply, if you don't tag a user ( using @username) or use the "Quote" button, we might not get notified.

I'm on GEHA, (Government Employees Heath Association) They partner with Aetna. I had BCBS for my band, they were pretty easy from what I recall back then. Hopefully you'll get your approval soon! If it's been more than 2 weeks, Give your insurance a call for an update.

On 6/12/2018 at 10:18 AM, Matt Z said:

Sorry I missed this reply, if you don't tag a user ( using @username) or use the "Quote" button, we might not get notified.

I'm on GEHA, (Government Employees Heath Association) They partner with Aetna. I had BCBS for my band, they were pretty easy from what I recall back then. Hopefully you'll get your approval soon! If it's been more than 2 weeks, Give your insurance a call for an update.

Thanks for the advice I didn't know that. So I got the call from my insurance company today and I WAS APPROVED apparently they didn't receive my paperwork from the doctors office until yesterday so they approved it pretty fast once they did get it. My date is set for July 9th according to the insurance company because my doctors office hasn't called me yet but Im sure they will soon.

6 hours ago, swimmer0302 said:

Thanks for the advice I didn't know that. So I got the call from my insurance company today and I WAS APPROVED apparently they didn't receive my paperwork from the doctors office until yesterday so they approved it pretty fast once they did get it. My date is set for July 9th according to the insurance company because my doctors office hasn't called me yet but Im sure they will soon.

Congrats!