Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling depressed and unable to drink.

My wife recently had her surgery (I had mine in April) and she’s not feeling so hot.

I know things fall into place and you start feeling better over time but she’s become depressed because of the constant nausea and being unable to comfortably drink.

She said it feels like her drinks are getting stuck on the way down and her stomach bubbles when she does get it down. She’s tried ice chips and eats popsicles which works decently but she says she can’t quench her thirst because it’s hard for her to drink.

She goes back to work Tuesday and I want to help her feel better. Any tips no matter how big or small?

Thanks.

I'm pre-op so I have no advice for her as to her Water intake. As for her emotional state, I would like to offer her encouragement and send positive thoughts her way. Sounds like she has a lot of support!

Lots of folks go through a little period of mourning and even second guessing themselves after surgery. Give her time. As you know, every week that passes gets a lot easier. Getting back to work might be a surprisingly good thing for her. Staying busy and being with work friends can keep your mind off the big changes and help restore a sense of normalcy.

As far as drinking goes...tiny amounts constantly. It's a pain in the butt...but it gets easier with time.

She'll get the hang of it:)

If you have any concerns about her ability to drink not being normal, keeping in touch with her team about it is a very good idea. They might have suggestions for her, too.

It's lovely that you're concerned and care.

You can remind her you were there a couple months ago and understand. That said i am a bona fide redhead, not chemically induced, and would be prone to Chuck a rock or something heavy at your head. I am usually sweet tempered but my rages ...Whew! What woukd work best for me? The knowledge that I'm still your"Girl" that you still love💥❤💥me , bottom line and there is Nothing you and I can't handle together! And it is super-sweet you love and care so much! Frustr8

I guess just reassure her that it will pass. To continue to take those sips as often as possible, and to remember that it'll be ok and that the struggle is worth it.

Good luck to the both of you!

On 06/10/2018 at 09:14, jrsone said:

My wife recently had her surgery (I had mine in April) and she’s not feeling so hot.

I know things fall into place and you start feeling better over time but she’s become depressed because of the constant nausea and being unable to comfortably drink.

She said it feels like her drinks are getting stuck on the way down and her stomach bubbles when she does get it down. She’s tried ice chips and eats popsicles which works decently but she says she can’t quench her thirst because it’s hard for her to drink.

She goes back to work Tuesday and I want to help her feel better. Any tips no matter how big or small?

Thanks.
I have this exact same problem. Now it’s just nausea vs, nausea and pain. I still can’t drink straight Water almost 5 mons post op. Has she tried adding something to it, like flavored water additives, caffeine free tea, fruit infused? Also, try different temperatures. I sipped on Bone Broth a lot in the first few weeks.

Try warm/hot drinks! I had the exact same bubbling/stuck feeling with cold drinks out of the gate. Once I switched to Decaf hot tea/coffee it was a whole different ballgame. I know it kind of stinks to drink warm stuff now during the summer but even just starting out with a cup of hot tea in the morning can help the rest of the day go a lot more smoothly.

5 hours ago, Sadiebug said:

Try warm/hot drinks! I had the exact same bubbling/stuck feeling with cold drinks out of the gate. Once I switched to Decaf hot tea/coffee it was a whole different ballgame. I know it kind of stinks to drink warm stuff now during the summer but even just starting out with a cup of hot tea in the morning can help the rest of the day go a lot more smoothly.

She actually started hot tea yesterday and she's doing pretty well so I'm happy about that.

@jrsone. Does your wife have a history of pre-surgery swallowing difficulties? I ask because there are some conditions that affect swallowing. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which can interfere with swallowing. It takes more effort than usual for me to drink all of my Protein Shakes because of this.

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/h/hashimotos-thyroiditis.html

Has she had her thyroid checked?

I have less difficulty swallowing soy and coconut milk. Water, for some reason, seems to be the hardest to get down.

Hey this brings to a question. Yes I. could ask PCP but I won't see him until July 2nd when I accomply my son to his 6 moth checkup for something else.
My mother suffered from reoccurring laryngitis and swallowing difficulties the final years of her life. Remember she was on a mechanical soft diet in her long-term care facility. Is this a tendancy I should,tell my PCP about? Could this be something inheritable or just something that happens with increasing age?😳