Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello there folks. I am new here. Just started today. It seems kind of overwhelming, to think that this is something I want to do and the process that goes along with it. I have selected a surgeon, and facility. My insurance covers it, but has like all, prior requirements. I have my appointment with primary care for necessary referral. I called my insurance company and they didn't tell me much.... I will be calling back tomorrow as I have waited and waited. Anxiety gets the best of me. I was told, however that I need to complete 7 monthly weigh ins and have a therapist that deals in nutrition. I go on june 21 for my initial seminar with the surgeon. With that being said I have a few questions for you all that have already or are going through this kind of process.

1: what is the monthly weigh ins for? I'm not sure yet what any weight I need to loose prior to surgery or anything like that. I have this giant fear that although I have stayed at this weight for nearly a year steady, that I will gain weight and not be allowed to have surgery.

2: how have you all found the process to be? easier than expected to get approval and go forth, harder, or anything you want to share? I figure unless my insurance does something weird it will look like january will be a possible surgery month.

thanks in advance for helping me.

The answers to your second question will vary widely. The fact that your insurance company will cover your surgery puts you at an advantage.

There are several reasons for the monthly weigh ins. They want to see you're serious about this effort. They want to see progress, no matter how minimal. They want you to mentally prepare for this surgery. You might think you're ready now but without training & preparation you really don't understand what life will be like post surgery, especially immediately after surgery.

Stick around the forum. Ask questions but do your research first. You'll find that over the years we've covered a lot of ground here.

Good luck to you. You are not alone.

Your pre-op diet and weigh ins will have a goal that differs for each doctor. Some will want you to lose a set amount of weight (a percentage of your excess weight) to be eligible for surgery. Some won't.

You will likely consult with a nutritionist each month about your diet. They will likely want you to keep a food journal of everything you are eating, so they can go over it with you and point out trouble spots and help you come up with substitutions, behavior modification ideas, just general help with your diet. You will learn A LOT about eating right...because if you don't, and if you don't change how you eat, the surgery can and will fail. The surgery is a tool...it's not a cure. You will still have to watch how you eat carefully the rest of your life....but it makes it a lot easier.

Also, after surgery, your nutritional requirements will change for a while and you'll need vitamins...and you need to understand why these things are important and how to meet your new needs.

Some clinics will use this time to do metabolic testing. Any other health concerns you have will also be evaluated and addressed to make surgery as safe as possible. You'll likely do some screenings... Upper GI or Endoscopy, chest x-ray, EKG, blood work...that kinda stuff...to keep you safe.

I had my first seminar in May of last year, first weigh in appointment in June, had my surgery in December. I just did my six month post op appointment. For me...the process went shockingly FAST! I thought it was going to drag on, but each month of my new forever diet taught me something new...and required some trial and error to tweek it.

My biggest most important tip for you....the thing that I credit with a huge portion of my (so far) success..... get a pedometer and app...like a Fitbit or one of the Fitbit knock offs...and start walking and tracking your activity. This made an incredible impact on my life.

People who go into this surgery thinking they're going to escape addressing diet and exercise will fail. No nice way to say that. It's just true. Diet and exercise are still your core issues and you'll be working on them every day.

But with the tool...it will get easier, your results will be motivating, and you'll have better chances of losing more and keeping more off long term:)

Wishing you the very best.

thanks for your help. I have done a lot of research into this and have a few close friends who have gone through and done both the bypass and sleeve. I have some support. I guess I need to start getting into a habit of writing down food and drink intake and start making more changes than I already do. I have a fitbit. My work paid for it. I have weight watchers. I don't manage to do as good with the food as I do with the activity. on WW app it says I need 40 fitpoints a week suggested, I average between 50-70 a week depending on what I do. I need to buckle down and be more adamant on food stuff. I have a son, other half and his father so I cook for all of us. I find it hard to do for them, but change for me. But I can do it. Thanks.

As an update: I got my bloodwork done and got referral sent to the surgeon I chose. I go this Thursday for the initial seminar required by my insurance. I have been consistently writing everything that goes into my mouth down on paper. No hiding this time. No faking it. I have been standing at my desk at work doing stretches and working on some stationary exercises I can do while working. I need to start being accountable for doing more activity throughout the week when I am home. I have made a pledge to do something every day this week. Whether it be walking in place or more stretches or anything. I want to start getting into that habit. I have a wellness coach that my work pays for. She just returned from maternity leave this month and I have already updated her on all the progress I have made in securing appointments and such. I hope to get more resources offered to me and inspiration for meals-- GOT ANY? lol, soon too. I am working on filling out the paperwork to be able to use the gym here at work too. On my breaks I can go down and do a quick work out and get a minimum of 45 mins of sweat time in. And being able to get that in after work too would be amazing.

Something I want to ask now of you all who are going through or have done it, what Vitamins do I need to start looking into? I know Protein will be a giant thing once I have surgery. I have currently a Protein Shake that I bought at Walmart that I like. Wanting to get some stuff researched out.

Thanks for being here for me. I appreciate it. I am excitedly nervous but ready for this Thursday. I am ready to change the current pathway of my life and go on to a new healthier journey.

11 hours ago, ffmedic112 said:

Something I want to ask now of you all who are going through or have done it, what Vitamins do I need to start looking into? I know Protein will be a giant thing once I have surgery. I have currently a Protein Shake that I bought at Walmart that I like. Wanting to get some stuff researched out.

Usually some kind of chewable Multivitamin. My surgeon has me on the Flintstones Complete chewable tablets for kids (I take 2 of those a day). B-12, the sublingual kind. Iron, D3, and Calcium. It will all depend on your surgeon, however, as each doctor recommends something different.

As for Protein, I'm partial to the Isopure 100% whey Protein Isolate, the unflavored kind. It can be mixed into just about anything.

Best of luck to you.

Well I'm further along, I have even. had my presurgical blood work done, my deficencies that they are addressing , I am on Vitamin A , Vitamin D , my Vitamin is a prenatal one for the extra Iron, got an eyebrow or 2 raised at Walmart because I am 72 years old. I am also supposed to supplement my Calcium, the others are a once a day pill, but my Calcium is a new liquid I found at Wal-Mart, brand name is Wellesse, costs less than $10 & tastes like melted orange sherbert. take a 1 tablspoon twice a day. Other poster,is correct, most of the time you do go on chewable, I don't because of my low iron level and since I wear d3ntures it's hard to chew chewables, So far everything seems doable. I like Premier Protein quite a lot, Peaches and cream is my favorite, then caramel, then strawberry, can't drink chocolate anything because of allergy. Muscle Milk is good, a little higher calorie count but I like their blueberry flavor, Eqaute Wal-Mart's house brand,is okay if you want to save a couple $. it just tSladtes faintly evaporated milk like to me. I also like Svelte, it's soy based a little lower in Protein but I like its taste.I haven't tried the dry protein yet but will probably go with whey isolate unless I develop an intolerance. Anything else I can help with just ask,if I don't have the answer someone else on Bariatric Pal will!😝

I went to the initial seminar. I am on the right path. Need to continue doing what I am doing now. Need to add in Portion Control. Working hard to curb cravings. Been adding in exercise. Will work out tonight at work in the gym for first time. I am excited. Will be working hard to not eat carbs as often, and increasing my Fluid intake On a regular basis I usually only get 40 oz in, in a day. So adding in a lot more is hard for me. Was super tired today coming to work. got virtually no sleep. maybe a half hour a couple of times. Just keep pushing forward.

And you can do it, you,will succeed for you have commitment, it is your journey. but we all are here to help. All questions, any fears, any worries, just ask. We all have walked or are walking that trail. You have your Trail Guides, you have your Co-Travelers but we are here for success and for YOU.😛🎈😝