Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery Stories :)

Has anyone heard from Andie? She had surgery same days as me and I wanted to know how she is doing? I haven't seen any posts from her yet?

Longhorn sorry to hear about your incision I hope you get the antibiotics and it helps.

I feel very lucky that I don't have any of the gas issues.....yet! I have been able to pass it by belching and farting:) Thank god those never felt so goos as they do now. I just want my tummy to go down it seems swollen....to me:)

Hi Kristin!! Here I am! Just now feeling good enough to sit at my computer. Wow, my shoulder sure hurts! It's getting better, but GEEZ it was sooooooo sore yesterday and when I got home Friday night. My husband has been so great about massaging it for me, but ultimately rest has been the best thing.

Everything went really smoothly. My surgeon said I was "text book" which was lovely to hear. No hernia to repair. My surgery took about an hour and five minutes. Woohoo!!!

I haven't been hungry AT ALL! Have you? I've been sticking to Water, flavored water and chicken broth. I'm kind of scared to try anything else because I had some pretty bad nausea this morning. Thankfully no vomiting. I made the mistake of taking my little nausea patch off after my shower - which, by the way, was quite possibly the BEST shower ever!! Just because it felt sooooo good to wash my hair. I think taking the patch off is what allowed my nausea to kick in, so I put another one on. Now it's got my vision a little blurry and I feel pretty loopy. Could be the hydrocodone too. LOL!!

I've had some gas build up, but those little Gas-X strips are AWESOME!! They've helped a lot. I've been really good about getting up and walking, using my spirometer, giving myself my heparin injections. All in all, I'm doing pretty darn great! I don't plan on going back to work until MAYBE Thursday or Friday, if at all. My boss said to take the whole week if I want it. We'll see.

So far, the recovery is going really well. Thanks for asking about me and thanks to EVERYONE for the pre-op advice and suggestions. I'm quite sure that's why I feel as good as I do.

Hi Kristin!! Here I am! Just now feeling good enough to sit at my computer. Wow, my shoulder sure hurts! It's getting better, but GEEZ it was sooooooo sore yesterday and when I got home Friday night. My husband has been so great about massaging it for me, but ultimately rest has been the best thing.

Everything went really smoothly. My surgeon said I was "text book" which was lovely to hear. No hernia to repair. My surgery took about an hour and five minutes. Woohoo!!!

I haven't been hungry AT ALL! Have you? I've been sticking to Water, flavored water and chicken broth. I'm kind of scared to try anything else because I had some pretty bad nausea this morning. Thankfully no vomiting. I made the mistake of taking my little nausea patch off after my shower - which, by the way, was quite possibly the BEST shower ever!! Just because it felt sooooo good to wash my hair. I think taking the patch off is what allowed my nausea to kick in, so I put another one on. Now it's got my vision a little blurry and I feel pretty loopy. Could be the hydrocodone too. LOL!!

I've had some gas build up, but those little Gas-X strips are AWESOME!! They've helped a lot. I've been really good about getting up and walking, using my spirometer, giving myself my heparin injections. All in all, I'm doing pretty darn great! I don't plan on going back to work until MAYBE Thursday or Friday, if at all. My boss said to take the whole week if I want it. We'll see.

So far, the recovery is going really well. Thanks for asking about me and thanks to EVERYONE for the pre-op advice and suggestions. I'm quite sure that's why I feel as good as I do.

Hey Lady:)

Glad to see you are well. I am doing good, I even went to the grocery store with my DH and mom earlier this afternoon and walked around for about 20 minutes and then came back home. Not nearly as sore as I was yesterday and I know the walking is what I need. Not the lying in my chair or in bed.

I am real itchy and that has me bothered other than that I am doing alright, I am glad I go to full liquids tomorrow and can have my Protein with milk again.

I am so lucky I had a little gas pain in the hospital the first night, but I have had none since I have been home and I am passing the gas either burping or farting...LOL The more I walk the more it passes. I am not eating much either. And I have no hunger at all. Just powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth and popsicles and Water that is it.

Woo Hoo we are on the losing side of banded and I am so happy about it! :whoo:

Yay!!!!!! I'm so glad your recover is going so well. My shoulder's finally starting to feel normal again. Last night, it was hurting so bad I was in tears. My poor hubby felt so helpless. I said, "Just keep rubbing my shoulder. That's all the help I need right now, honey..." Yeah, the gas. LOL! That was a rather unladylike moment for me. My son called to me <while I was in the bathroom>, "Mommy! Are you ok? You're making funny noises!" LOL!! Oh well... my tummy's growling the weirdest sounds. I woke up around 4am to go potty, give myself an injection, take a shot of tylenol/codeine and when I laid back down I SWEAR it sounded like a lion was laying at the foot of my bed and growling. It was HILARIOUS!

I'm so proud of us for doing this surgery, Kristin. I was really scared, as you know, but now I'm just so THRILLED that it's over and we're on our new journeys!!!!! Keep in touch and let me know what's going on with you.

Hugs!!!!

Hey guys I am so glad you all are doing so well :eek: these stories we share makes our individual experiences so much better!

All our experiences sound so much similar

Today is my 10th day post op and i cant believe how much better i feel already! my stitches are still on.. they will be getting off on thursday so they itch a bit.. apart from that the pain is nearly gone now (just some discomfort) and nothing much else

the only worry is my eating! there are times when i cant eat at all.. n others when i just wanna keep eating! i think its my head hunger playing in but i dont know how to differentiate between them.. sigh!

also i tried walking on the treadmill today.. walked on for 15 mins but its made my stitches hurt! so i guess ill keep off of it and just walk normally

I am now 1 week past surgery. I had surgery on Monday Nov. 5th. What a week will do for the body and mind! I feel really good. Although I didn't have my first bm until yesturday! That was awful, but I feel much better.

I initially took 2 weeks off. I am a teacher, and I had a lot of sick days built up, so I decided to take what I could get. I could've gone back yesturday, but I am glad to have this extra week. I go see my Dr. for my follow-up appointment tomorrow morning. Does anyone else have staples? Mine finally come off tomorrow! They are starting to itch, and get sore when I do a lot. I can't wait to see what my "official" weight loss is!

I also can't believe how much weight I am losing!:whoo: It seems like every day I am down 1-2lbs! Of course it's easy to lose when you are only drinking clear liquids! Today I was able to graduate to full liquids. For Breakfast I made Cream of Wheat and added a bunch of milk to make it really soupy. I could only eat 1/4 cup, before I was full! For lunch, I had my chocolate unjury in milk. I was getting tired of mixing the unflavored with my crystal lite!

I am enjoying having this week just for me. I have actually cleaned and done things around the house that I've been ignoring or didn't have the energy to do before. I am actually making a nice supper for my family even though I can't eat it. And guess what???? I don't care!!!

Sorry for such a long post, but I just wanted to let everyone know who just had surgery or will soon that the pain is only temporary!

Congrats! It sounds like everything is going great for you. I am glad you are doing so well so quickly as I will have surgery on a Tuesday and be back at work on Monday.

Keep checking in and letting us know how you are.

Today was my post op. I've lost 9lbs so far. yay! It felt really good to talk to the nutritionist about everything and the nurse as well. Everything is looking great! I can join Curves now and I will be getting my fill December 12th!

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd post this for everyone still to be banded or just being banded. It will be two weeks tomorrow since surgery and I feel really good. The shoulder gas pain is gone, and it comes back periodically when I drive long hours or late at night sometimes, but it's not that bad anymore, and my tummy doesn't hurt at all. I can fully function now. Went for a half hour walk today with the dog and didn't feel lightheaded. I feel back to normal!

OK, so I'm 19 hours past my surgery and actually feeling pretty decent. I was not told which side my port is on, but I'm almost positive it's on the left because that's where I can feel pulling when I move.

When we got home, I took Vicodin crushed in watery applesauce. Slept a few hours and then took another. I was keeping ahead of the pain and it was working great because I really wasn't feeling that much. Mostly across my diaphragm it hurts and then it radiates up to between my shoulder blades. It's weird - I feel the radiating pain more in my right shoulder than my left and then THAT pain kind of radiates over to the left. Strange. But no major gas pain (niiiiiice). I only used a Gas-X strip on the way home because I was hoping the pain I was feeling WAS gas and that it would help. It didn't really. The pain between my shoulder blades almost just feels like sore muscles. It's nothing unmanageable, thank goodness.

I had Vicodin and Tylenol PM last night about 8:30pm and then slept. I woke up around 1am hurting a little. Took some liquid Tylenol and tried to get more sleep. Slept until about 4am. Got up and took some Vicodin in watery applesauce. I'm doing pretty good. If I wasn't hurting (I kind of have to hunch over a bit when I walk to keep from feeling the stretching by my port), I'd probably be able to go take care of some of that dang Christmas shopping sitting in a motorized scooter. I have to chuckle at that sight. But I'll force myself to take it easy here at home.

I'm scheduled to go back to work Sunday night at 6pm. We'll see how I feel. Most likely DH will have to go with me (we work for the same company and he's familiar with my job) to support me. I hope I feel a bit better by then. I HATE being laid out in bed. I want to be up and moving about more so than sleeping.

Yay!!!!!! I'm so glad your recover is going so well. My shoulder's finally starting to feel normal again. Last night, it was hurting so bad I was in tears. My poor hubby felt so helpless. I said, "Just keep rubbing my shoulder. That's all the help I need right now, honey..." Yeah, the gas. LOL! That was a rather unladylike moment for me. My son called to me <while I was in the bathroom>, "Mommy! Are you ok? You're making funny noises!" LOL!! Oh well... my tummy's growling the weirdest sounds. I woke up around 4am to go potty, give myself an injection, take a shot of tylenol/codeine and when I laid back down I SWEAR it sounded like a lion was laying at the foot of my bed and growling. It was HILARIOUS!

I'm so proud of us for doing this surgery, Kristin. I was really scared, as you know, but now I'm just so THRILLED that it's over and we're on our new journeys!!!!! Keep in touch and let me know what's going on with you.

Hugs!!!!

Hey Lady!!

Glad you are doing so well yourself!! I am proud of all of us here that took the step to do this surgery. It is not an easy decision. There was a moment afterwards when I thought what the hell did I DO to myself. LOL

Only lasted a moment though. I said stop it you have to get through this and you will. I am so motivated to make this band work and not fail. I want to look at food differently and not look to it for comfort anymore. I think we all will have to face this eventually. I know I have had some moments of head hunger. But physically I have not yet felt really and truly hungry. I know that I am blessed by this.

I still hurt when I cough, or have to laugh really hard. I cannot do a belly laugh yet. I have trouble beinding way over but am making myself do it anyway.

I saw the DR yesterday and he released me to go back to work and he will see my in 4 weeks. I am going back to work on Monday. I am looking forward to getting back in the swing of things at work. I am definately tired of sitting at home.

I am having trouble getting in all of my liquid. But the naseous feeling I have while drinking Water is starting to pass. Thank GOD I love water....:cool: I have not tried going back to my crystal light though, it was just way way to sweet and was making me sick.

The nurse told me yesterday that is because they cleansed our bodies of all the toxins and sugars with the 8 days of Clear liquids. She said that would get better over time.

Keep in touch Andie!!

HUGZ right back at Ya!!:whoo:

Hi Everyone

Yesterday was my surgery date. Only problem is a little shoulder pain and some itching from the pain meds.

I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories because they helped me so much to be prepared and not so scared.

Hi Everyone

Yesterday was my surgery date. Only problem is a little shoulder pain and some itching from the pain meds.

I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories because they helped me so much to be prepared and not so scared.

Glad to hear one of my band-day buddies is doing well! Hope the pain and itching go away soon. :)

Glad to hear one of my band-day buddies is doing well! Hope the pain and itching go away soon. :)

Thanks Stephanie. Nice to hear you are doing well too. Congratulations!:clap2:

Hey guys,

am I the only one bothered by diarrhea? I can't eat anything without it going right through me.

I also have the sholder pain. It's good to hear that it's common.

Hey guys,

am I the only one bothered by diarrhea? I can't eat anything without it going right through me.

I also have the sholder pain. It's good to hear that it's common.

I've had it now and then, especially since I started on mushies. It hasn't been terribly bad or spontaneous, nor have I had any pain or bloating often associated with it. I assume my body is just getting used to all these changes!

Your shoulder pain should occur less and less each day. I get a twinge now and then and then it's gone.

Welcome to the board!