Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Comments from people getting to me

Been feeling some kind of way lately and I believe it’s starting to affect me. I’m currently a week away from being 5 months post-op and for some reason, I’ve been getting A LOT of notice lately about my weight and as uncomfortable as it might be sometimes because people ask you what you’re doing, what you’re eating, etc. (Most people don’t know I’ve had VSG), what has been bothering me the most is that I am now having a lot of people tell me I need to stop losing bc I’m looking sickly or not good.
It’s so confusing and discouraging bc it’s making me wonder if I should stop or if I don’t look good. However, when I look in the mirror, I still see someone that needs to lose some weight so it’s so confusing!!!!
I am currently 6 pounds away from my first goal but I was hoping to lose that plus maybe another 10-15 lbs. my first goal is based on the BMI scale and being in the last possible number to be under healthy weight but the second goal was more of what I think I should be based on my height and maybe giving myself a little wiggle room. Plus getting more in the middle of that healthy weight range.
Part of my issue is that I do have some loose skin on my arms, belly, and legs, which is from years of yo-yo dieting and going up and down. I haven’t gone for a plastics consultation because I thought it might be too soon but I think at this point, that might only go away with surgery and maybe that’s what’s making me feel that I’m not there yet.
I don’t know-all these comments are stressing me out and making me sad at the same time. I don’t want to look bad and I never wanted to be rail-thin but now I’m questioning all my goals and I’m the kind of person that needs goals to succeed. Please help!! So discouraged. ☹️

@EndlessGoals#2018 They'll get over it. People overall aren't good with change. So, when they are used to seeing you overweight, that's their "norm", now with you losing weight they feel you are getting too thin... but, this isn't actually true, it's just their impression based on your "normal" appearance.

Plastics are usually for the 1 to 2 year out folks, form an insurance point of view AND from the whole, "it can take 2 years for your skin to shrink back" stuff.

Do you feel good? Do YOU feel too thin? Pretty sure you are feeling great and you don't think you are too thin or feel sickly. Just give them time to adjust to the new you, and I would personally tell them, "Listen, the only reason you feel I look too thin is because you are not used to seeing me healthy. I want to be healthy and I'm getting there, I'm not too thin, I'm right where I want to be." This should shut them up.

Good luck, sorry that you've got some naysayers around you. But, overall, you are doing fantastic!

@EndlessGoals#2018 Also, you can change your surgical settings from Pre-Op to Post Op in your account settings by going to the drop down next to your avatar in the upper right hand corner and selecting "My Surgery" here you can change the op status and add in other information. Then if you go to "Progress" form the "Surgery Information" page you can add weigh ins etc. And then if you go to drop down again and select "Account Settings" then select "Signature" from the list on the left, you can create/edit/update the area under your posts.

I tell them that im eating more Protein and eating less and getting exercise and thats it. And its TRUE!

Edited by jaminator

34 minutes ago, EndlessGoals#2018 said:

Been feeling some kind of way lately and I believe it’s starting to affect me. I’m currently a week away from being 5 months post-op and for some reason, I’ve been getting A LOT of notice lately about my weight and as uncomfortable as it might be sometimes because people ask you what you’re doing, what you’re eating, etc. (Most people don’t know I’ve had VSG), what has been bothering me the most is that I am now having a lot of people tell me I need to stop losing bc I’m looking sickly or not good.
It’s so confusing and discouraging bc it’s making me wonder if I should stop or if I don’t look good. However, when I look in the mirror, I still see someone that needs to lose some weight so it’s so confusing!!!!
I am currently 6 pounds away from my first goal but I was hoping to lose that plus maybe another 10-15 lbs. my first goal is based on the BMI scale and being in the last possible number to be under healthy weight but the second goal was more of what I think I should be based on my height and maybe giving myself a little wiggle room. Plus getting more in the middle of that healthy weight range.
Part of my issue is that I do have some loose skin on my arms, belly, and legs, which is from years of yo-yo dieting and going up and down. I haven’t gone for a plastics consultation because I thought it might be too soon but I think at this point, that might only go away with surgery and maybe that’s what’s making me feel that I’m not there yet.
I don’t know-all these comments are stressing me out and making me sad at the same time. I don’t want to look bad and I never wanted to be rail-thin but now I’m questioning all my goals and I’m the kind of person that needs goals to succeed. Please help!! So discouraged. ☹️

I'm not even close to being where you are, but I can image its such a mind f**k to go from being overweight, and inevitably people making comments about you needing to lose weight, to the exact opposite. I think only you will know what your end number will be. You will know when you feel good and healthy, until then, I wouldn't worry about other's comments. ((and I know easier said than done)). Perhaps discuss with your doctor about your concerns. Also, have you had a whole body fat percentage done? A lot of people who have lost major weight, have access skin weight, that may appear to be "fat". Perhaps the extra weight is just excess skin? Anyway, I'd say that you should follow your gut and ignore the people who probably have the best intentions, but don't know the struggles you've been through.