Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since my sleeve surgery 5/3/18, I've had excess gas and bloating but no diarrhea, the opposite, along with what feels like spasms or cramping. I was not lactose intolerant before surgery but NUT said it's possible after surgery. I'm walking and following all instructions and thought this would be better by now but it isn't. Since the surgery I have been having whey Protein and Greek yogurt so I'm wondering if that's what's causing this? Maybe this is just how it is for a certain period of time after the surgery? Any thoughts or recommendations anyone has is greatly appreciated.

Whey Protein has no lactose (whey protein “isolate” means they have isolated the whey and separated it from the other parts of the milk including the lactose), but yogurt does.

I'm mildly lactose intolerant (and have been my whole life). For a few months after the surgery, I was very, very lactose intolerant. Like a yoghurt nearly killed me. I swapped to almond milk and cut cheese from my life. I never had a problem with normal amounts of whey Protein Powder.

After a few months, I could have skim milk and a little bit of cheese again. I have no idea why it went away.

I appreciate that being lactose intolerent, I probably should cut all lactose from my life but I just can't quit cheese.

Whey Protein was a HUGE part of my life prior to surgery for years. St least one meal a day.
After surgery, it took me 9 days and the help of this forum to find out that it was the very thing in my diet causing me to have nausea, severe cramping, constant diarrhea, bloating and pain. The moment I cut whey out of my life, everything went back to normal. I can no longer handle dairy since surgery either.

Many people do develop issues with dairy/whey/lactose post op...as well as aversions and intolerances of other kinds. Most of the time they dissipate by six months out or so. I couldn't eat eggs for months. I had issues with some dairy for several weeks. Your stomach (and intestines depending on the type of surgery) have been cut open. They won't be performing optimally for a while.

BUT if you have issues with whey Protein it's not a lactose intolerance. It's a different issue. I was just clarifying that issue. So you might have issues with whey protein or you might have issues with yogurt, but you might not have issues with both. So eliminate one and see if the other still bothers you. Then try switching.

6 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

Many people do develop issues with dairy/whey/lactose post op...as well as aversions and intolerances of other kinds. Most of the time they dissipate by six months out or so. I couldn't eat eggs for months. I had issues with some dairy for several weeks. Your stomach (and intestines depending on the type of surgery) have been cut open. They won't be performing optimally for a while.

BUT if you have issues with whey Protein it's not a lactose intolerance. It's a different issue. I was just clarifying that issue. So you might have issues with whey Protein or you might have issues with yogurt, but you might not have issues with both. So eliminate one and see if the other still bothers you. Then try switching.

Thanks Jess. I'm not even sure if it is lactose intolerance. I was sleeved 5 weeks ago and when I wake up I feel good. I find that even Water will cause a gas bubble to form and the burping begins. And I'm not aware of swallowing any air. I'm staying away from all dairy to see if it helps but so far I haven't noticed a difference. Only been two days. My gastroenterologist said it could be GERD and has me taking two PPI's a day. I've been doing that for two weeks though and I can say some days are better than others. When it's bad, it's bad. Whatever it is! I can't figure out what's different on the "bad" days as I've pretty much been eating the same things. If they' were bothering me, why would I ever have a "good" day? So I'm eliminating dairy first. I'm concerned about getting enough enough protein each day without the whey protein or the Greek Yogurt. I just can't eat enough meat, fish or eggs. My gastroenterologist did tell me when I'm having a bad day I can add Gaviscon which I can tell you really helps. For that reason, I'm thinking it's more about the GERD. I don't understand how that causes so much excess gas and bloating though? I know it's all trial and error, I'm just afraid I'm not ingesting enough because on the bad days I barely eat or drink anything for fear of making it worse. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon. Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it.

This too shall pass! Seriously. Think about all the trauma your stomach and system went through. If the gashes and stitches and swelling were on the outside we would see it and be gentle and know that it would eventually heal and get better. So just remind yourself that your insides were cut open, parts removed and stitched back together. Healing takes time and some days are worse perhaps you got less sleep or stood up too long or too much salt or not enough water...all of it affects inflammation in those healing incisions, It might not be what you are eating!

Hang in there!

1 hour ago, jess9395 said:

This too shall pass! Seriously. Think about all the trauma your stomach and system went through. If the gashes and stitches and swelling were on the outside we would see it and be gentle and know that it would eventually heal and get better. So just remind yourself that your insides were cut open, parts removed and stitched back together. Healing takes time and some days are worse perhaps you got less sleep or stood up too long or too much salt or not enough water...all of it affects inflammation in those healing incisions, It might not be what you are eating!

Hang in there!

Thank you for reminding me of this Jess. I am making myself crazy trying to figure out what's causing the symptoms. To me, it seems everyone else here is doing much better than I am when it comes to stomach/intestinal distress. I assumed it has to be something I'm eating because I've never had so many intestinal symptoms before in my life (I'm 65). It's only been 5 weeks and I know the healing takes time. I shouldn't be so impatient. On the good days, I'm not impatient. It's the bad days that scare me because I think it will last forever and not go away. There's that four letter word again....TIME!