Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery (VSG) is 6/18 and luckily I only have to do a liquid diet for 2 days instead of 2 weeks. So what should i stock up on for my post op period? Oh, and what about hospital bag essentials?

Recommendations needed for all of the goodies; Vitamins, containers, Protein drinks/powders, recipes, and TV/Netflix shows while we're at it haha..

Edited by RoxyFox87

Which surgery?
Don't stock up on anything!
Depending on what surgery, you might not really need much of anything afterwards. My wife wanted to stock up and I flat out told her not to buy anything. I'm glad she didn't. Because I was eating such small amounts that even then things got tossed out.
For surgery, get some Dry Mouth Spray and Lip Balm, lifesavers for right after surgery. Bring a pair of sweatpants or PJ bottoms and a pillow from home, some comfortable slippers. Cell phone, charger and a book maybe. I really didn't need anything else for the 3 days 2 nights I was in the hospital.

For home, just things to keep you busy / comfortable. A little bit of food will go a long way if you are a bypass patient, if you are getting the sleeve you'll be on liquids for the first month.
Don't forget to WALK WALK WALK and be sure to use your incentive spirometer often! Helps with the gas pains.

58 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Which surgery?
Don't stock up on anything!
Depending on what surgery, you might not really need much of anything afterwards. My wife wanted to stock up and I flat out told her not to buy anything. I'm glad she didn't. Because I was eating such small amounts that even then things got tossed out.
For surgery, get some Dry Mouth Spray and Lip Balm, lifesavers for right after surgery. Bring a pair of sweatpants or PJ bottoms and a pillow from home, some comfortable slippers. Cell phone, charger and a book maybe. I really didn't need anything else for the 3 days 2 nights I was in the hospital.

For home, just things to keep you busy / comfortable. A little bit of food will go a long way if you are a bypass patient, if you are getting the sleeve you'll be on liquids for the first month.
Don't forget to WALK WALK WALK and be sure to use your incentive spirometer often! Helps with the gas pains.

I'm getting the sleeve. Yah, I hear gas pains are the worse part! Thanks for the advice! :)

Walk walk walk. Sip sip sip. Breath Breath Breath into spirometer. Do this over and over and over.

Walk once every hour as soon as you can get up.

Bring lounge pants, cell phone and charger, chap stick.

Yea deinfintely don’t stock up. I did and now I have a fridge full of Jello, string cheese and Protein that I need to give away. Dairy no longer agrees with me & I have no desire to eat jello.

I did stock up on broth but I can use that to cook with so it’s not that bad lol

sugar free popsicles and I found three ounce disposable cups. Biotene is great for after surgery... it helps with dry mouth. Gas-x chewables and walk, walk, walk!

Sleeves on April 25, 2018
HW: 256
SW: 238
CW: 222
GW: 165

On Friday, June 01, 2018 at 2:33 PM, RoxyFox87 said:

My surgery (VSG) is 6/18 and luckily I only have to do a liquid diet for 2 days instead of 2 weeks. So what should i stock up on for my post op period? Oh, and what about hospital bag essentials?

Recommendations needed for all of the goodies; Vitamins, containers, Protein drinks/powders, recipes, and TV/Netflix shows while we're at it haha..

sugar free Popsicles are a must lol. Maybe a few heart healthy Soups you can strain and whatever Protein you have to have but I agree don't buy a bunch in case you can't tolerate it. I'd suggest testing out your protein maybe before hand too since if ya hate it now.

For hospital if you have long hair remember a hair tie....it drove me crazy but I always have my hair up so I had someone bring me one. Don't over pack you really will just be walking, sipping, and sleeping. Good luck you'll do great.

I wouldn't recommend stocking up. I have WAY too many boxes of SF popsicles and things of Bone Broth.