Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss stall...after revision... not yet a year

HI everyone. I've had a revision from Lapband (had it for 8 years with 110 pounds (50 kg) total loss. In 2016 the band slipped and needed to be removed. Because of the slipage it had to be opened and I gained 40 pounds. Last July 2017 I had the revision to a Mini Bypass. now 10 months later, I am still struggling with the stalls. I've lost the 40 pounds plus a bit and nothing more!! I must confess that I am happy that I am off all medicines (no more diabetes, high cholesterol or high blood pressure). I also lost measurements and of course clothes sizes. But I was told I could lose up to 70 pounds, so when and in how long do the other 30 pounds come down?? I walk alot in my work, around 5-7 miles a day.. Eat between 60-80 gr Protein a day. Avoid carbohydrates to a minimum. Does it hv to do with the age (I am 62) or is it the combination of age and 2nd op? My surgeon is not truly responsive unfortunately so I get most of my support from my nutritionist and forums. Don't get me wrong, I am happy about the changes in my body and health, but would very much like to lose these last 30-35 pounds and reach my goal of 150-155 pounds. Would really appreciate any helpful comments preferably from those who had Lapband to bypass revision. Thanks and blessings to everyone.

Sent from my D6603 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm a band to bypass revision as well. There are a few things at play here. Your Basal Metabolic Tate (the rate at which you burn calories just by being alive) is based on Sex, Weight, Height and Age. So as those factors change, so does your Basal. Lower weight means lower baseline burn. Higher age also means lower baseline burn. So you may need to adjust your intake, or up your output. Walking alone isn't going to drastically move that needle. You should look into some muscle building, more muscle burns more fat. Also, and this can be a touchy subject for guys, at 62, your testosterone levels are dropping, which hinders fat burn and muscle growth. Might be something to check into with your Doc, have your levels tested to make sure they aren't too low. How's your Water intake? Your body needs water to assist in fat break down. It's amazing what just increasing your water intake to over 64oz a day can do to your body.

I'm a band to bypass revision as well. There are a few things at play here. Your Basal Metabolic Tate (the rate at which you burn calories just by being alive) is based on Sex, Weight, Height and Age. So as those factors change, so does your Basal. Lower weight means lower baseline burn. Higher age also means lower baseline burn. So you may need to adjust your intake, or up your output. Walking alone isn't going to drastically move that needle. You should look into some muscle building, more muscle burns more fat. Also, and this can be a touchy subject for guys, at 62, your testosterone levels are dropping, which hinders fat burn and muscle growth. Might be something to check into with your Doc, have your levels tested to make sure they aren't too low. How's your Water intake? Your body needs Water to assist in fat break down. It's amazing what just increasing your water intake to over 64oz a day can do to your body.

HI and thanks for yr reply... I am a woman.. I signed up with my hubby into a fitness studio with pool but have not yet had the time to really get into it due to my work schedule (14 hrs a day...). It may be that my water intake is not the highest.. I confess I hv a hard time drinking just water... I manage about a quart and a half a day.. Now it's starting to get hot here, so I will naturally increase this intake... Thks [emoji120]

1 minute ago, astarwalker said:

HI and thanks for yr reply... I am a woman.. I signed up with my hubby into a fitness studio with pool but have not yet had the time to really get into it due to my work schedule (14 hrs a day...). It may be that my Water intake is not the highest.. I confess I hv a hard time drinking just water... I manage about a quart and a half a day.. Now it's starting to get hot here, so I will naturally increase this intake... Thks

My apologies for the Sex assumption. Not sure why or how that happened. Everything above, outside of the Testosterone part, still applies. You can certainly work on muscle building, more muscle will still burn more fat! And that water intake is below the minimum suggested daily intake for normal situations, let alone for someone trying to lose weight (seems the new recommended minimum is actually higher now... seeing between 2.7 liters and 3 liters) I get it can be hard, but there are ways, always keeping your water on you, drinking first when you think you are hungry, adding some non-calorie flavorings.

Work on getting that water intake up to minimums or higher (it gets easier the more you do it) and see if that helps! Good luck!

Hi @astarwalker

I am a band to RNY revision. My band was 10 years ago, and my RNY just pre Christmas.

I am now almost 20 lbs lower than I ever achieved with the band. I am on maybe 700-80 calories a day. I suck at getting my Water in (excuse the pun) and like you work 14 hours a day and my exercise aim is slight! I have an Apple Watch and try and get 15 mins heart rate elevation exercise a day by taking stairs to visit staff across floors at work!

My carbs: try for below 50 but certainly below 70g a day carbs, and 20g sugars. Most days 50g Protein, sometimes 60g. Strictly 3 meals a day - my surgeon, who is following 1700 bypass folk in a longitudinal study, is adamant this is the key determinant of success. No snacking. Ever. I adhere 9/10 days...

Thanks biddyzz, I had the thought that if I cut carbs I would lose more.. I am trying to implement this by reducing carbs to a minimum. The snacking part will he difficult for me to do without completely.. You mean even without healthy Snacks? Thks

His rule - no Snacks. Strictly three meals a day.

His patients have a very low level of weight regain. So clearly it works!