Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days post - looking for advice

I had my gastric sleeve surgery Monday May 14th. I have been having multiple issues that everyone that I've spoken to say is normal but needed to know that it isn't just me. I have nausea which is varies in extremes. Sipping my liquids seems to cause a great deal of gas pain which my surgeon said to use chewable gas x. It helps a little. To make things worse, I have internal pain and incision pain. I am fortunate to have a nurse come to my house and the incisions are healing fine but the sharp burning pains especially when moving are horrible. I typically have extremely high pain tolerance as I've have back surgery and handled that fine. Is anyone going through this le pen el of discomfort or am I the only one? Right now I am hating my decision to get the surgery. I have an awesome surgeon and everyone that I have talked to say it will pass...but when. Would be great to know I'm not going crazy or going through it alone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

You are not alone. I am 26days post op and having incisional pain as well. It is getting better day by day, but if I move or twist the wrong way it sure makes itself known! My surgeon also said it would go away by 6 weeks post op. As far as the gas, I still have that problem too. I figured I was drinking too fast or something, surgeon didnt have any insight into this. I use the dissolvable gas-x strips because the chewable make me nauseated. I hope yours gets better soon, and at least now I know I am not alone either!

Thank you for responding. It is nice to hear someone being honest about their experience. I feel like that most people get blinded about the pending weight loss that they forget or just don't address the other issues that no one seems to talk about. I too am hopeful about losing the weight. My reasons and story are different than most in the site. I have a 1 year old that I want to enjoy and play with but my severe back problems kept me from doing so. I made the decision to have WLS to help my back so I could have a better quality of life and enjoy my baby. My post surgery story as I mentioned were far from a better quality of life. I hope that your recovery gets better every day as well. Please keep me updated o. Your progress. I hope that we both can move forward in a better physical direction. Take care.

I opted for WLS because I have RA and the meds just weren't as effective anymore. My rheumatologist recommended the surgery to help. I have a 4 yr old grandson that I want to be around for and he able to take him to Disney and all the things I cant do now. I am 44 and reached my highest weight this year due to changing to a more sedentary job and steroid use, both due to RA. I have been heavy since the day I was born, but was always ok with it. At least I told myself I was. I feel like now is the time to take control and finally get rid of all this weight that's keeping me down, in more ways than one. I had a sleeve on 4/23 and I've been averaging about a pound per day loss, and my goal is to lose a total of 116 lbs for a goal weight of 170. I am 5' 6" tall, highest weight was 286, last weight when I had my checkup on the 16th was 261. I dont weigh between dr appts because the fluctuations were driving me insane! I will pray for your success for you and your little one!

Awww i feel you, seriously. the first week was horrible!! i was very emotional and cried a lot because i regretted the sleeve and it finally hit me that what i had done was permanent and i missed food and i wanted the horrible pain to go away. it is normal. i know you might feel very alone but im telling you, i understand and trust me it gets way better. give it time, i was feeling semi normal by 2 weeks max and my recovery was terrible, i was drugged up on codeine all day for the first week because the internal/incisional pains were KILLERRR. i am about 27 days post op and i still feel some sharp "pulling" pains if i sit in a weird position or if i lay on my side with my stomach hanging lol , if that makes sense. but the pain is nothing like the first few days post-op, it is more like uncomfortable now . As for incision pains, my biggest incision from where my stomach was removed (bellybutton) is still kinda sore. first week , it was horrible. even my shirt rubbing against the incision areas would irritate it and make it hurt!! but now it is only if i press down on it. Just know that it gets better, it gets sooo much better and very quickly. i feel so sad reading your post bc i feel your pain..it is rough and the pains when moving or getting up from bed are terrible but just give it a couple days and you will start to see the difference , trust me. As for gas pains, it also will get better. honestly that took a little longer for me because i also had a hernia repair which made it feel like heart attack when i took the smallest sip of any liquid. but now it goes down smoothly as long as i dont gulp down half a water bottle (which i have done only once since my surgery and i had to sit down and close my eyes and pray to god because i thought i was going to die bc it all got stuck in my throat LOL but i learned my lesson) . Best of luck on your journey, keep in mind you will look and feel great in time and all of this emotional and physical pain will be well worth it. stay strong & when you regret your decision, tell yourself the deed has been done, no going back! Cry if it makes u feel better, god knows i cried like a baby but just dont lose focus. sending love and strength !!

I had my surgery on May 14th and I have a lot of pain as well! One incision hurts more than the others. I walk but have to take breaks and take deep breaths. I have started using a heating pad on my lower back and side and this has helped. I also switched to a saltier broth and I think this has helped and given me a little more energy. Also I am not doing well with sipping Water but warm tea and broth are easier to sip. Also popsicles are easy for me as well. Hope you feel better!

Hi there, I also had surgery on May 14. It was supposed to be outpatient but it ended up in the hospital for 48 hours due to not being able to keep even the tiniest sip of liquid down. Two days of violently vomiting while losing my bladder all the same time while still in my hospital bed. Talk about embarrassing! I was utterly exhausted and spent an extensive amount of time sleeping. Moving home made all the difference in the world. For the first time ever I dealt with serious Constipation but a couple servings of baby prunes did the trick. Like you I’m having a lot of internal and incision pain especially when I twist and turn...note to self no twisting and turning. Last night I slept with a really soft pillow against my stomach and that helped when I rolled over. Tomorrow I’ll be able to start the soft food phase and I already have two meals planned out. Crustless quiche made with egg beaters and reduced fat cheese with pulverized turkey bacon, mushrooms, spinach and broccoli. I made this for my husband last month when he was in a soft food phase and the entire family thought it was delicious. The real encouragement is actually realizing weight loss. As of Saturday morning I had lost 9 pounds and could already see a difference. I know it’s tough but hang in there and know that you are absolutely not alone. Can’t wait to hear more about your journey and your successes!

Raptly reading this all, I won't be a sleeve but many of these things could be me in the future. Your biggest forest scar is where they pulled your stomach remnant out, I would not be exempt because in. bypass the same place is where surgeon puts his bigger gauge instruments.,I guess you'd have to have an endoscopic sleeve to avoid,this, but I guess they have their own cast of problems. No free rides in Bariatrics, are there?😓

Awww i feel you, seriously. the first week was horrible!! i was very emotional and cried a lot because i regretted the sleeve and it finally hit me that what i had done was permanent and i missed food and i wanted the horrible pain to go away. it is normal. i know you might feel very alone but im telling you, i understand and trust me it gets way better. give it time, i was feeling semi normal by 2 weeks max and my recovery was terrible, i was drugged up on codeine all day for the first week because the internal/incisional pains were KILLERRR. i am about 27 days post op and i still feel some sharp "pulling" pains if i sit in a weird position or if i lay on my side with my stomach hanging lol , if that makes sense. but the pain is nothing like the first few days post-op, it is more like uncomfortable now . As for incision pains, my biggest incision from where my stomach was removed (bellybutton) is still kinda sore. first week , it was horrible. even my shirt rubbing against the incision areas would irritate it and make it hurt!! but now it is only if i press down on it. Just know that it gets better, it gets sooo much better and very quickly. i feel so sad reading your post bc i feel your pain..it is rough and the pains when moving or getting up from bed are terrible but just give it a couple days and you will start to see the difference , trust me. As for gas pains, it also will get better. honestly that took a little longer for me because i also had a hernia repair which made it feel like heart attack when i took the smallest sip of any liquid. but now it goes down smoothly as long as i dont gulp down half a Water bottle (which i have done only once since my surgery and i had to sit down and close my eyes and pray to god because i thought i was going to die bc it all got stuck in my throat LOL but i learned my lesson) . Best of luck on your journey, keep in mind you will look and feel great in time and all of this emotional and physical pain will be well worth it. stay strong & when you regret your decision, tell yourself the deed has been done, no going back! Cry if it makes u feel better, god knows i cried like a baby but just dont lose focus. sending love and strength !!

Thank you so much! It does make me feel better knowing that I wasn't the only one. I cry a lot too right now. I pray it gets better. Now I'm hopeful it will.

I had my surgery on May 14th and I have a lot of pain as well! One incision hurts more than the others. I walk but have to take breaks and take deep breaths. I have started using a heating pad on my lower back and side and this has helped. I also switched to a saltier broth and I think this has helped and given me a little more energy. Also I am not doing well with sipping Water but warm tea and broth are easier to sip. Also popsicles are easy for me as well. Hope you feel better!

Thank you. I also need to take breaks when walking. I actually borrowed a Walker from a family member that recently had back surgery. It helps not having to put all the pressure on my abs right now. I find watered down apple juice goes down the easiest for me. I hope I'm able to reach the goal 48 oz today. I haven't this far. It is like a full time job sipping liquids. Hope your recovery progresses well. It is nice to know I'm not the only one.

Hi there, I also had surgery on May 14. It was supposed to be outpatient but it ended up in the hospital for 48 hours due to not being able to keep even the tiniest sip of liquid down. Two days of violently vomiting while losing my bladder all the same time while still in my hospital bed. Talk about embarrassing! I was utterly exhausted and spent an extensive amount of time sleeping. Moving home made all the difference in the world. For the first time ever I dealt with serious Constipation but a couple servings of baby prunes did the trick. Like you I’m having a lot of internal and incision pain especially when I twist and turn...note to self no twisting and turning. Last night I slept with a really soft pillow against my stomach and that helped when I rolled over. Tomorrow I’ll be able to start the soft food phase and I already have two meals planned out. Crustless quiche made with egg beaters and reduced fat cheese with pulverized turkey bacon, mushrooms, spinach and broccoli. I made this for my husband last month when he was in a soft food phase and the entire family thought it was delicious. The real encouragement is actually realizing weight loss. As of Saturday morning I had lost 9 pounds and could already see a difference. I know it’s tough but hang in there and know that you are absolutely not alone. Can’t wait to hear more about your journey and your successes!

OMG I am so sorry to hear about the vomiting. I had 1/4 oz of Jello the other day and I had to quickly take Zofran. Then I had nadeau the rest of the evening. I don't even want to imagine that pain. I fear co stipulation too since I have gone yet but then again it's been a week since food. I will definitely keep you all Informed on my journey. Hopefully we all have a quick recovery.

Raptly reading this all, I won't be a sleeve but many of these things could be me in the future. Your biggest forest scar is where they pulled your stomach remnant out, I would not be exempt because in. bypass the same place is where surgeon puts his bigger gauge instruments.,I guess you'd have to have an endoscopic sleeve to avoid,this, but I guess they have their own cast of problems. No free rides in Bariatrics, are there?[emoji29]

Oh gosh no. It is not the "easy way out" as some non WLS people seem to think.

Are you still on the painkillers? The painkillers always make me kind of nauseated. I expect you are since you are still having pain. Hopefully as you heal more, you will be able to take something else like Tylenol. I hope you start to feel better soon!

HW 255
CW 234
GW 160

GS 5/9/18

3 minutes ago, madscientistmommy said:

Are you still on the painkillers? The painkillers always make me kind of nauseated. I expect you are since you are still having pain. Hopefully as you heal more, you will be able to take something else like Tylenol. I hope you start to feel better soon!

HW 255
CW 234
GW 160

GS 5/9/18

I prefer to not take any pain meds but have been taking the prescription my doctor wrote for me. Last night I simply took two Tylenol and it was enough to sleep through the night. I’m in pain again today but it’s tolerable for the most part.

HW 262

SW 259

CW 250

Sleeve surgery 5/14/18

You are not alone. Remember to trust your instincts and follow up if you feel something is not right. I’m 17 days post op and I still have some discomfort around certain incisions but when I was four days post op I knew something wasn’t right. My stomach was getting hard and red and I had to hold it to walk or get up. Turns out I had an infection that the surgeon had to drain for a week. I feel better now but still some discomfort being that the incision site where the drain was is open so the skin can close itself without stitches. I also had nausea, mine lasted about ten days post op and got much better. The one good thing I learned is to trust my gut. I’m not saying you have what I had but remember sometimes our bodies tell us things. I regretted my decision at first too but I’m down 25 lbs and I am looking forward to the future.