Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie here from Ireland

Thanks guys. Definitely feeling the love here. :)

Welcome!!!! So glad you found us!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

You know if I were to rechristen myself a name I'd like to have- AIFE, it has a built-in lilt to it although I look more like a Rauri, although that is a more a male name. My real first name sounds Scandinavian but I am named for a long ago,Cornish female ancestor my mum seemed to hear of. Her name was,Karensa, but I ended up a Karen. But I think Aife is pretty. And anything is better than her names she planned as a girl to name future daughters-Samantha Jane-Anne and Stephanie Denise, I look like neither, my late husband the Somewhat Lamented, said my name should be Brunhilde. He made our marriage stormy,towards the end, I truly loved the young man I married, but the later man, not so much. I think God will have to forgive me for that, the world will not. Ah I've burdened you with a story you didn't want to hear. I am sorry for that.
At any rate please update me as the story of Irishgal 21continues.

Hi I'm irish too! I had surgery (sleeve) a month ago and I feel great. I've been living abroad for years though so I didn't do it in Ireland, however I did explore the possibility. I decided not to do it as I don't have VHI there and it was a very long wait and hugely expensive. It's different for everyone so it's difficult to tell you it will all be fine but my own experience has been that I was very scared of the surgery and it wasn't half as bad as I feared. I was up walking after I came round from the anaesthetic and it did hurt but the pain was managed really well. I didn't vomit or anything and was able to drink Water. I came home from hospital after 2 nights there. I needed plenty of help in the days after just because I was very tired and my incisions were slightly painful. But within a few days I felt a lot better. I've only told a handful of people about this surgery not because I'm ashamed but it's not as common in Ireland as elsewhere and I don't want to have to explain my decision or constantly talk about the operation or my weight for the rest of my life! I would say it's your decision completely who you tell, and the weight isn't going to drop off you overnight -you'll still have to work at it and it will come gradually so it probably won't be as dramatic a change as you think very fast (although everyone is different). For me, I'm really glad I had this surgery even though I'm still very early on in the process. I feel that my tastes have changed and I don't crave the same junk I did before. It's great to feel full and satisfied after eating a healthy meal!

Best of luck with whatever decision you make but don't worry about the surgery, it really isn't as scary as you think!

Hi guys,
Have been a little absent in recent weeks - have been busy with work and trying to get consultants here. So I have finally made a decision having seen a consultant. I am going for the gastric bypass - just waiting on fund approval from insurance and then should be good to go. :) hope you are all well x

A Joyful Top of the Morning to You
Too Long You've Been Gone
But Happy We Are,To See You Once Again!🍀😛🍀🌈

5 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

A Joyful Top of the Morning to You
Too Long You've Been Gone
But Happy We Are,To See You Once Again!🍀😛🍀🌈

Thanks for the warm welcome Frustr8 - hope you are keeping well!!

Hi there! I’m from Ireland too! Dublin! I just had my Sleeve, but I travelled abroad because I faced the same problems you did! If you want any advice message me and I’ll give you my number! ❤️

Hi there! I’m from Ireland too! Dublin! I just had my Sleeve, but I travelled abroad because I faced the same problems you did! If you want any advice message me and I’ll give you my number! [emoji173]️
Thanks Deargh. Hope your recovery is going well. I am gearing more towards an RNY gastric bypass. How are you getting on with your sleeve? [emoji178] where did you travel for your op?

Sent from my SM-G955F using BariatricPal mobile app

I was considering the Bypass too! I decided on the Sleeve in the end though! I started at 19st 9 and I’m now down to 17 st 1 in a month! So I’m super pleased with the results! My cousin got the lap band done in Turkey and we have family over there, the hospitals are super nice. Way nicer than here! I went over on the 12th of June and I had a textbook perfect recovery I was up and walking around 2 hours after being brought back to my room! If you hit any walls here I would honestly consider going abroad, I was referred to Loughlinstown hospital for the weight management program, not the surgery, the pre surgery officially on the books for weight problems clinic. The secretary told me the waiting list was 5 years. I knew I had to take control of it and just decided to go for it!