Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the sleeve but not WLS

Hi all!

I'm scheduled to have my 2nd weight-loss surgery on June 11th. Back in 2010, I had a lap band put in and it worked well for a while but then I started throwing up several times a day. I eventually had it unfilled and haven't done anything since then (except gain over 100 pounds back). I've finally gotten the nerve up again and I'm ready to do this thing. I'll have the sleeve done this time around, plus I apparently have gallstones so I'll have my gallbladder taken out too. Looking forward to the journey with many of you!

Hi Annie, I am on the other side of this. I had the lap band in 2011 and honestly never did well. Slipped it at 3 months, than again a month later after unfill and than refill. Kind of gave up got used to vomiting all the time. I was a vomit pro. When I slipped the band last summer and went to the er the NP that was there was from a different practice than I started at and she really convinced me to revise. I think the band was a epic failure for a lot of us. I was humiliated and constantly felt like a failure. I am 3 months out of the Gastric Sleeve revision and I am so happy I persevered. the Sleeve works like we all were told the band would. I am loosing at a wonderful pace with little to no complications at all. I wish you well and any questions please feel free to ask.

Sincere and warmest wishes

Dawn Marie

Best of luck on your new journey! I'm happy for you that you made this decision.

I'm totally on the same boat. Had the Lap Band back in 2013. Never lost more than 20 lbs on it. Had a bunch of fills/unfills and a slight increased filled gave me the worst acid reflux I've had in my life. Like it burned to breathe. Eventually had it filled just a little less but I felt no restriction. Literally could eat more than most of my friends. Regained all the weight and then some. Finally lost about 45lbs just slowly over 2 yrs and got changed to a VSG about 2 weeks ago and really hoping it'll work this time around. So far I'm 50/50 on this though. I'm scared my issues with the lap band did something that's not letting my VSG work as well as it should...

On the other side of this. Had lap band in 2005. Did well in the weight loss department, but quality of life was miserable. Started out with gall bladder issues only 3 months in that my doctor did not properly diagnose and I was miserable for months. Then for the next 5 years I suffered with all kinds of weird symptoms the doctor always chalked up to reflux. I couldn't tolerate fills and slept sitting up for the better part of 5 years. Eventually I had it out and only recently learned (during my sleeve insurance approval process) that my band was actually slipped.

Since having the band out, I gained all of my 90 lbs back, thankfully they didn't bring many friends. I started considering and seeking out help. It took me 2 years to settle on the sleeve. I had a lot of questions and reservations because of the risk for increased reflux issues that seem to be associated. I discovered that my reflux was largely situational (undiagnosed slipped band, eating certain trigger foods, or eating a larger meal too soon before bed). So, I jumped.

Had sleeve surgery 4/10/18. My surgeon said that the band left a mess of scar tissue for him and it took him a long time to clear it out to do the sleeve. I think it also delayed my recovery because I was really in no shape to walk or sip for the first day or so.

General warning: those of us who have gone through previous WLS do tend to lose weight a little slower than those who are on their first time around. Not 100% sure why, but I see it a lot on here and in speaking with my friends who have been down the same road. Personally, I see it coming off. Not sure I care that it's slow. I feel good, I look better, and I will get there.

Good luck on your renewed journey.

Your story is so similar to mine. My band hadn’t slipped it just didn’t work. I gained all of my weight back and then some. My band was removed in Oct 2017. I was sleeved 5/22/18 and the recovery process has been really painful so far. I had a lot of scar tissue that had to be removed. I worry about not loosing but trying to stay positive.

On 4/28/2018 at 7:25 PM, annie93 said:

Hi all!

I'm scheduled to have my 2nd weight-loss surgery on June 11th. Back in 2010, I had a lap band put in and it worked well for a while but then I started throwing up several times a day. I eventually had it unfilled and haven't done anything since then (except gain over 100 pounds back). I've finally gotten the nerve up again and I'm ready to do this thing. I'll have the sleeve done this time around, plus I apparently have gallstones so I'll have my gallbladder taken out too. Looking forward to the journey with many of you!

I had my 3 month post op today. Down 45.7 or something like that. NP said I was ahead of schedule. Yay! I am really shooting for 100 pounds. I think the sleeve is a great fit for me. I hope you all do really well. I have to say the first 8 weeks were kind of hard. No energy , no pooping , no fun! But I noticed or didn't notice that I wasn't any of that anymore I just feel normal except for two or three good bites and I am done. I am starting a photo diary of what I eat so I can look back. I am terrible about capturing it all on an app or in a book.

I have two accounts and I hadn't been checking here but Im so glad to see all the band to sleeve conversions.

I will keep checking back.

Dawn Marie