Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What percentage of excess weight can you expect to lose with VSG?

I am going through the process of getting vsg surgery. I've read varying numbers about the average excess weight loss after the surgery, from as high as 90% to as low as 60%. I understand much has to do with diet and exercise after the surgery, and committing to a lifestyle change. I just want to know what is realistic.

I'm 5 foot 4 inches tall, and weigh 245lbs. Would losing 100 pounds after the surgery be a realistic expectation, or is that higher than average for my height and weight?

Sent from my XT1575 using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgeon uses 60% of excess weight to call it a success. i think it differs like a lot of the process.

and the results vary widely as seen in post yesterday with pics of guy that has lost 1/2 total body weight.

amazing results and he is not even finished yet.

add * here " all results are personal and very variable"

and to your last question yes i think 100 ponds is doable for your height and weight

it may take the 18-24 months to get the last 25-30 pounds or so but it is possible

Edited by allwet

I'd like to be on the high end, 75-80% but you don't always get exactly what you want. I'll work with it to the best of my abilities but suspect it will be what it will be, so let the chips fall where they will. Still much better,than remaining obese for the rest of my natural life😝

I am 5ft 2 in and my heaviest weight was 260-265 my surgery weight was 243. My doctor said I could probably get down to 135. I had a personal goal of 160. But maybe 135 is possible

My surgeons office said 60% excess weight. But I made a personal goal of 130 and I’m only 30lbs away from that after 4 months so I think I’m going to pass with flying colors ☺️ But I can understand a program wanting to be conservative since results of course do vary, as someone already said.

Good luck, you sound committed and maybe just a little stubborn. I think you'll make it after all. Want pictures when it happens, okay?😝

This is a very good question. For me, losing on 60% would leave me at 183lb and that is way too close to 200lb for my comfort. I'm hoping determination and doing the right thing will get me closer to my goal.

60% is the statistical average excess weight loss after sleeve surgery. (To figure Excess Weight, take your weight the day of surgery and subtract your weight at a normal 24.9 BMI)

Some people lose less than this.

Some people lose more

Most people will be clustered on one side or the other of 60% (55%-65%)

You will have statistically MORE success if you:

1. Are younger.

2. Have no mobility issues.

3. Do not have diabetes yet.

4. You had presurgical diet success. Those who lose well on their presurgical diet tend to lose more post surgically.

You will have statistically LESS success if you:

1. Are older, or going through menopause

2. Have mobility issues, or healthy issues that impede activity

3. Have diabetes (even if you've put it into remission)

4. Did not lose at least 10% of your excess weight on your presurgical diet.

People who have the most success at two years post op:

1. Regularly follow up with their surgeons post surgically.

2. Regularly follow up with their dietitians post surgically.

3. Take their Vitamins as prescribed and have their levels checked.

These are, of course, just reflections of statistical data. Individual cases can vary dramatically. If you are hell bent to lose 100% of your excess weight, it is possible to achieve. People do it. But it's rare.

Still...it's worth your best effort to get as close as you can:)

Edited by Creekimp13

Starting where you are, with a low 40's BMI, 90-100% EWL is quite attainable, but as always, "it depends". Implicitly, your metabolism isn't too badly screwed up by obesity (yet) or you would be heavier - so that is in your favor. While the oft-quoted 60% is an average, that is an average over all patients with the VSG, with starting points from BMI 35 to 70 and above, and also includes early patients who were sleeved as the first step of a DS where total weight loss was not the goal (only partial loss to attain a healthier condition for the more extensive surgery.) There is a rule of thumb that some surgeons use in comparing procedures, that assigns average BMI losses to each procedure, with a lapband being "worth" about 10 points, a VSG 15-20, an RNY 15-25, and a DS 25-35 (or numbers to that effect - best of my recollection.) But this does put you right into the middle of the VSG "sweet spot", where it works quite well. Some/many can do better than these numbers, but it takes more work, and the numbers give a rough idea of the how much success can be attributed to a procedure, on average, and how much to individual effort and/or circumstances.

Another aspect to this is - how "average" do you want to be, or does your surgeon or program strive to be? As you can see above in some of the posts, many programs quote overall averages to their patients, with the implication that average is "good enough". Other programs will push their patients harder, striving for 100% EWL, and even if some fall short and "only" attain 90%, isn't that better than 60%? It is not unusual for programs to base their VSG protocols on their RNY practices and call that "good enough". The problem here is that the RNY gives the patient and added performance boost during their loss phase of some caloric malabsorption, which allows for a somewhat more permissive, higher calorie diet, so sleeve patients on the same diet tend not to do quite so well. Some practices tailor their protocols more closely to the sleeve's characteristics, and get better results.

There is also a psych aspect to this is well - some patients will be very pleased get to 65-70%, beating the goal, and will be encouraged by that success to maintain their discipline longer term and avoid substantial regain; others may be bummed out by "failing" to get more than 90%, throw in the towel and go back to old habits and subsequent regain. Still others will hear a doc say 60% and think "I'm not going through all of this for a measly 60%, I can, and will, do better than that and show them!" Where do you fit in to that spectrum?

Thank you RickM for the thorough explanation. I'm the "I'm not going through all of this for a measly 60%, I can, and will, do better than that and show them!" type. I wouldn't think surgery is worth it if I can't get below 160. I hope to get down to 135, but would be happy in the 140's. I haven't been below 140 since I was 21 y/o and don't know how I would look at that weight now that I'm in my late 30's.

Sent from my XT1575 using BariatricPal mobile app

We have pretty close to the same stats ( w-231lbs h-5'3") and i am also hoping to get down into the 130s! i am still in pre-surgery insurance song and dance but i am optimistic seeing all the success on here. I think we just need to trust the process and i think when you see the weight coming off it is more motivation to do even better at eating right and exercising!

Yes..definitely possible with determination!!! I am 5'1 and was 245 at surgery. That was 8 yrs ago and have kept a steady weight at 115. It didnt come easy ...I exercised 5 days a week for several hours a day for the first year (after healing of course)...and of course youre going to hit plateaus and think youre failing, but dont give up. it CAN be done- good luck!! :)

1 hour ago, Lenibug said:

Yes..definitely possible with determination!!! I am 5'1 and was 245 at surgery. That was 8 yrs ago and have kept a steady weight at 115. It didnt come easy ...I exercised 5 days a week for several hours a day for the first year (after healing of course)...and of course youre going to hit plateaus and think youre failing, but dont give up. it CAN be done- good luck!! :)

Have you had any long term side effects from wls? What procedure did you get? I haven't really been able to find anyone who has stuck around in the community for longer than a year or two. Does life feel normal again?.

Edited by dreamingofasleeve

Pretty new to the procedure and very new to the forum. Trying to learn as much as I can. Have been reading a lot of the posts since yesterday but never gave this topic much thought. My surgeon told me 70% was the norm for the sleeve so I just went off that knowing I hope to lose more than that anyway.

Thanks to all for the great feedback and thanks AK37 for bringing up the topic. Really great to see members like Lenibug giving feedback, 8 years post surgery and still here lending information. Makes me glad to have signed up here.

9 hours ago, dreamingofasleeve said:

Have you had any long term side effects from wls? What procedure did you get? I haven't really been able to find anyone who has stuck around in the community for longer than a year or two. Does life feel normal again?.

I'm actually new here - I came looking for information about some Vitamin supplements, but I'm glad I found this ! :) I had VSG ... the only long term side effects so far have been new onset GERD (just started within the last year and a half or so) and anemia (tried every kind of Iron supp. - eventually came to the conclusion i just need annual iron infusions). The anemia may not be related, but my hematologist does blame the sleeve for it. My only concern the older I get is whether I'm getting enough Calcium (and whether I'll end up with osteoporosis). I can't find a lot of studies on that. I would love if anyone had information on the % of people who have long term bone issues after VSG.

Life feels absolutely 'normal' .. though I'm not sure if that's just because it has become the new normal for me over the years. I can eat fairly normally (much smaller portions than most people of course), though there are still bad days. Every now and then, I'll feel sick or even throw up after just a bite or two of something that I can normally eat fine. It happens rarely enough that I don't feel like it hinders my daily life. There are certain foods that I absolutely don't handle (eggs, for instance ..unless cooked into something.. so sad about that one), but I know that and stay away. Biggest change since surgery has been my sugar intake - more than a couple tiny bites of something even now (ice cream, candy, jelly/jam, Cookies, etc) makes me feel absolutely awful.

I can still go out to eat - I just order a side/app or bring leftovers home. I don't completely stay away from carbonation like I've seen many people talk about .. but it hasn't prevented success and it doesn't make me feel bloated, gassy, etc. Calorie counting has long since gone out the window - how much and what you eat everyday to maintain becomes a habit - you'll know if what youre putting into your body is going to mean you have to exercise a little more or choose better at your next meal.

The last thing - never a day since my surgery have I regretted this decision. It was the catalyst we all hope it will be - the push needed to get off my butt and start living and being healthy. Once I started exercising, eating better, seeing the weight drop off - I started noticing a significant change in my mental and emotional health. Not only did I become physically healthier - my mind starting keeping pace. It is so true that when you start loving yourself, you can really start loving and appreciating everything else in life! (BTW - not that I didnt love myself prior to my weight loss--we should ALL love ourselves anyway .. we are beautiful regardless of our weight, but its a different feeling that blooms when you start feeling accomplished, confident, and proud of yourself).

Please dont hesitate to ask more questions! I hope this made sense -I kind of rushed through it before having to go to work.