Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm home and banded!

I'm so happy and excited! I've made it through my first day on full liquids and it was doable. I'm pretty sore but it seems to be better if I get up and walk frequently. Sitting or lying down makes me really sore when I do get up.

Mom called two days before surgery to tell me I was taking the easy way out. She called again last night when I was still at the hospital to tell my husband that she still thinks it was a bad idea. Why would anyone do that? I guess thats what mothers are for, to impose doubt.

Anne

Why would anyone do that? I guess thats what mothers are for, to impose doubt

Is she overweight at all? If she is then it is probably deep seeded jealous on a subconscious level. If not, then she has a different issue - I have seen where people will sabotage a dieter's diet so they can always look better - even if it is a mother/daughter relationship.... sad - but true.

Just know that while some are super supportive - not all will be.. and it is sad too. My mom is similar in the fact that she thinks it won't work for me... another mom (my mil) said that I got big because I purposely let myself "go".

Which could not be farther from the truth... plus snide remarks and more... so just ignore the naysayers... they only want to hold you back because they can see you will be the true victor and as we all know - Misery loves company...

We are here for ya though... :)

Amy

Amy, my mom is overweight so you'd think she would understand. Oh well, I'm moving on. I see your goal weight is 145. I've been too afraid to set a goal. When I left the hospital yesterday, I was giddy because I was talking to a girlfriend (banded in August) about new possibilities. I still haven't set a weight goal but I would like to climb a rock wall someday or go hiking out West.

Thanks for the support

Anne

You already are a winner!!! Don't let anyone do or say anything to bring you down. It is sad but true that your family can be your worst enemies. But not all. Be your own cheerleader. You deserve to feel your best and be your best!!!

I didnt' tell any of mine but my husband, coz I just am not up to any grief - got enough family hassles!

I hope she "pulls her head in" and let's you get on with your new life. I think we all have enough to cope with without judgements and if she thinks its easy, she should walk a mile in YOUR shoes, or mine, or other bandsters.

Hugs

coo,

Amen. I feel you. I could ask why people feel the way they do about weightloss surgery(especially the ones who feel like we don't deserve to have it) why we don't have a right to use whatever tools necessary to promote our own health and happiness. I'll bet we would not get a justifiable answer.

Deez I agree. I'm a vegetarian and I've been justifying this for nearly 20 years. I mean, its my choice, I don't ask people not to eat meat, so WHY do people feel they need to lecture me about why I need meat? Lord knows, I'm not underweight!!!

I do admit to be a bit embarrassed about the band, I sort of feel, its sort of a failure in my err ?? what self control - probably lots of things, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

I just want to try and concentrate on succeeding this time ;)

Well it just burns my Buns when people say we are taking the easy way out. Bull. The band is tool, only a tool. You have to make it work for you. If you don't follow the rules, you will not lose weight, you may even gain it. You still have to diet and exercise. So don't believe for an instant that you have taken the easy way out. I'm just 4 weeks post-op and my appetite is back and I have not had a fill yet so I have no restriction. I am stuggling with myself everyday not to overeat, to make myself get off my butt and walk, walk, and walk. This is what they call banster hell, and I am there! Head hunger is another demon we have to tackle. None of this easy, but the band will be a great help. Keep your chin up. You made the right choice for YOU!

Believe me, no one who read up on the lap band or had one would ever think it was the easy way out. Keep up the good work. I'm struggling right now, my 1st fill is Nov 19. Get munchies bad, my job is stressful and it is hard not to go home and have a bowl of comfort food! I was banded 10-3. Walking definately helps the pain. When you lie down, hold a pillow on your stomach, that helped me deal with the pain. And it gets better every day. :)Laura