Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Head Hunger vs Stomach Hunger???!!!!

ok so I'm 15 days post op and i feel like I'm starving!!! the nurse told me its head hunger and of course i got a little defensive .... like your not in my body you don't feel what i feel.

after a lot of thought i realized a lot of it is in my head ..... i see all this food that I'm used to eating in fact as a single mom I'm up close to it 24/7 because i obviously can not starve my kids but I'm struggling big time because even though some of it is in my head i am also really hungry as embarrassing as it is i have to admit I've eaten a very tiny piece of meat and it hurt my stomach I've chewed and spit. I've even sucked the cheese of Cheetos (I've rarely done these thing but i have done them)

i keep telling my self that i can do this but in reality its very hard people think that we chose surgery as the easy way out but its actually harder than most would think!!! its not a magic cure its only a tool to help us get to our goal it still depends on us to make it happen!!!

does anyone have any suggestions on how i can get through this liquid stage with out completely failing??

ok so I'm 15 days post op and i feel like I'm starving!!! the nurse told me its head hunger and of course i got a little defensive .... like your not in my body you don't feel what i feel.
after a lot of thought i realized a lot of it is in my head ..... i see all this food that I'm used to eating in fact as a single mom I'm up close to it 24/7 because i obviously can not starve my kids but I'm struggling big time because even though some of it is in my head i am also really hungry as embarrassing as it is i have to admit I've eaten a very tiny piece of meat and it hurt my stomach I've chewed and spit. I've even sucked the cheese of Cheetos (I've rarely done these thing but i have done them)
i keep telling my self that i can do this but in reality its very hard people think that we chose surgery as the easy way out but its actually harder than most would think!!! its not a magic cure its only a tool to help us get to our goal it still depends on us to make it happen!!!
does anyone have any suggestions on how i can get through this liquid stage with out completely failing??

I Completely understand how u feel.!! I’m only on day 10 of the liquid diet and I fine my self going crazy.. when I have to cook for my family or when my kids ask can we go out to the restaurant.. I’ve been looking for the some help.. but hen it’s really bad I’ll come ion here n talk to someone or I’ll Read the success stories n try to push pass it.. or I’ll chew ice and imagine it’s the food I smell..

Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of wisdom to be said. The only thing I can say is that once you move onto soft foods this will change. liquids do not have what they call "residue". Once you start eating more solid foods you will feel satisfied. For me, it was almost sad how fast it happens. I would finally find something enjoyable to eat and 5-6 bites in I would be full. This is why its equally important to eat slow as well. I find that I trick my mind by eating slowly because I think I'm eating more LOL.

I’m right there with you!!! I’m at day 10 and it’s the smells that are the hardest. I’m ok until I smell food!!! And my stomach growls. I have been trying to keep a shake with me at all times so I have something to sip on at least. Looking forward to puree stage in 3 days!!!

1 minute ago, Yadifan said:

I’m right there with you!!! I’m at day 10 and it’s the smells that are the hardest. I’m ok until I smell food!!! And my stomach growls. I have been trying to keep a shake with me at all times so I have something to sip on at least. Looking forward to puree stage in 3 days!!!

see with me i cant really stomach the Protein Drinks and my puree stage isn't until the 15th but i order the chicken noodle Soup from Panera (a soup and sandwich restaurant) with mostly broth and it seems to help;

Which brand of Protein did you buy? You can also do the protein Water.

How are you with your liquid intake? Are you getting to your goals as far as liquids go? broth is certainly one of the liquids that will make you feel as if you're actually getting real food. If you can, buy the chicken broth or Bone Broth in the supermarket. They only have broth no there ingredients. As you go further into your WLS journey remember Proteins, liquids and Vitamins. It seems the Protein rich foods keep you fuller and also drinking 1/2 hr before and after a meal keeps you fuller still.

let me suggest that from a pure taste standpoint i found that buying progresso Soups that i liked and poring them thru a strainer and eating just the liquid was much better than cans of broth. Much richer flavors that made me feel better. its just a thought but might help get you past this stage. good luck

5 hours ago, BRENDAJAIN said:

Which brand of Protein did you buy? You can also do the Protein Water.

ive tried so many from liquid to powder and the Water is just as bad for me

4 hours ago, allwet said:

let me suggest that from a pure taste standpoint i found that buying progresso Soups that i liked and poring them thru a strainer and eating just the liquid was much better than cans of broth. Much richer flavors that made me feel better. its just a thought but might help get you past this stage. good luck

I'm going to try those thanks!!!

ive tried so many from liquid to powder and the Water is just as bad for me

I had the same issue until I tried Premier Protein. That’s the only one that I can bare

1 minute ago, BRENDAJAIN said:

I had the same issue until I tried Premier Protein. That’s the only one that I can bare

boost isn't all that bad but its still not something i wanna drink 3x a day lol i hated premier lol

boost isn't all that bad but its still not something i wanna drink 3x a day lol i hated premier lol

I only had the caramel premier. Didn’t like anything else.

I’m 9 days out and am having the same problem. I had to be on my liquid diet for 6 weeks prior to surgery so continuing it shouldn’t bother me, but like you I see everyone else eating. So hard!

I’m 9 days out and am having the same problem. I had to be on my liquid diet for 6 weeks prior to surgery so continuing it shouldn’t bother me, but like you I see everyone else eating. So hard!

True, i don’t understand why some people have longer liquid diets. I have to be on a 2.5 week liquid diet post op. I feel that’s too long. Why are people having 1 week post op follow up with their doctors and I have a almost 3 week appt. Idk. It’s so hard... I’m getting annoyed... 4 days post op today.