Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dangers of Excessive Exercise

After surgery, I found that I had increased energy and stamina (the ability to perform physical labor). Over the years I had become flabby and overweight, but now I was fit and lean. Exercise is good, but sometimes one can overdo the exercise and cause harm.

Rhabdomyolysis, or rhabdo for short, occurs when muscle damage is done after trying to lift too much weight, or lifting with such frequent repetition that it prevents the taxed muscles from resting. When this happens muscle fibers break down and die. These fibers then enter the bloodstream and can create kidney problems, and in some cases, kidney failure. Some severe cases may require kidney dialysis.

How do you know whether you're in danger of being afflicted by rhabdo? There are symptoms to watch for, but since they aren't specific to this condition it's hard to tell whether a specific weight-training workout, or an intense stationary bike-riding session, is the culprit. In addition to obvious muscle weakness, other symptoms include: nausea; fever; feeling of sickness; bruising; lack of urine output and/or dark-colored urine; fatigue and vomiting.

The best prevention is exercising common sense. Don't overexert. Hydrate by drinking Water during your workout. And as soon as you begin feeling prolonged muscle fatigue or more than 30 seconds or so, stop what you're doing. And rest.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2018/02/27/kidney-damage-can-occur-overly-intense-muscle-use-12634

Just to clarify while Rhabdomyolysis may be something you should look out for this is not a common occurrence for people who don't have a genetic predisposition. The most common reason why this occurs with people who don't have the predisposition is that they don't adequately hydrate themselves and don't give their muscles time to recover.

Pushing your muscles to exhaustion is the only way you build muscle (by literally tearing them and forcing them to repair themselves).

I nearly pushed myself to rhambo a few weeks ago and got overtraining syndrome for a few days. I did 3 back to back HIIT workouts. Be careful everyone. I’ll never do it again. My limit is 2 a day now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches