Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adjusting the BRAIN along with the band...

Hi. It's been a while since I was on. But its been crazy busy around here and I was out of town last weekend.

I got my first fill on 10/10 and have some pretty good restriction with it...am VERY tight in the morning!!! While we were out of town last weekend, my husband and I stopped for some Breakfast. I ate a few of bites each of eggs and bacon and a bite or two of hash browns and I was stuffed.

As we got in the car and started towards our appointment, I caught myself repeatedly thinking, "I didn't eat enough, I'm gonna be hungry soon!" or else wondering WHEN we would do lunch or WHAT lunch would be?

And all the while I was SO full another bite would have made me puke~!!

Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with THE BRAIN?

I told my husband it reminds me a little of SEX!!! The stomach is always going to get 'satisfied', but the MOUTH needs a little more ...er.... um..... stimulation :car: to know that something actually occurred!!!

Nana,

I hear you! I mentioned that in another post, that when I am actually hungry, I can ignore it for a long time, but if I have head hunger FORGET IT! I feel like if I don't get food RIGHT NOW I am going to starve to death any minute. One of the things that I have to make sure I do when ever I am sharing a meal with anyone is to get my own small plate and put what I am going to eat on it. That way I can see that it is a legitimate amount, and then I will eat it and feel like I got a decent meal. If I just pick from a shared plate or bowl, I won't see how much I had to eat and no matter how full I feel, I will feel jipped. My brain is crazy, which is why I am proud to be a Crazy Ate!

I suffer with an Eating Disordered Brain. Everything is distorted: what I've eaten, how much I've eaten, how hungry my body is vs. how hungry my mind is. It's an ongoing battle for me. I do find that mantras, or affirmations, actually help. Even if all it does is distract me, it does help. Pick one or two for yourself and have them handy. Sing them like a song to yourself.

I have to walk my talk this morning. I weighed in this week 1-1/2 pounds heavier than last...I'm feeling sad and disappointed. Conveniently forgetting that I can start over right his second, that I'm getting a fill on Tuesday, that I've lost 16 pounds. There. A little better.

Blessings on you all. Have a fabulous Sunday!

boy, do I hear you on this one! It seems like the little nagging voice is quieter now (and sneakier), but it's still there, telling me to graze or have a little more, even when I'm full. I've been able to sneak a bit more in lately too, so I'm making a point of measuring everything so I can see if I do need a fill this time (I had a small fill at surgery time and none since).

I'm going to therapy though, and can talk through the compulsions a bit more with my therapist, and I'm trying to retrain my brain a bit more. That head of mine likes to shop compulsively too, so I'm trying to shift my thinking patterns away from shopping and eating and more to other activities (better than making a mistake and beating myself up over it later).

The guilt side of it sucks too, doesn't it? It's willing to torture me even when I have a reasonable meal and am losing weight. So messed up..

I'm sad to say I think the head part of this battle is always going to be with me. Kind of like an alcoholic who has stopped drinking. I could slip back into my old bad eating habits in a heartbeat, if I didn't have this band around my stomach. I haven't even gone near ice cream or chocolate since July. I'm sure they would slide right on down, so I don't dare. If I ever start there may be no stopping me! Yikes, it is scary.

Holy Weightloss, Becky! 51 lbs since August - Well done!

I agree - best to avoid the trigger foods entirely.

Hey Guys,

I needed this today. First time I have been on since 10/22 and I'm feeling a little blue. I had my first fill on 10/15. (1.5 cc in a 10 cc band) I felt a little restrition but not much. I have another fill schedule for 11/12. I have been doing so well but this weekend, yesterday and today I have just struggled with not feeling satisfied. I want and have had ice cream and Cookies and potatoe chips. I had lost 32 pounds as of last Thursday since surgery (8/31). I'm sure that I would not be happy if I got on the scale today. I am just in a bad place right now and need some help to snap out of it. Reading this post has helped because I recognize that it's my brain and not my stomache. I also know that I need to check in here and other places more often. I guess it's like going to NA or AA - you need to keep coming back. Hi, I'm Val and I'm an adict. Thanks for letting me talk. :faint:

Val

And who said getting the lapband is taking the easy way out? This is hard work, and we still have the same old mental issues to cope with. Valstar, have you been able to get any exercise? I'm finding walking to be really helpful. Not just with the weight loss, but it seems to have a really positive impact on my overall sense of well being. It must be the endorphines. Try to stay positive. You are doing great.

Thanks TexasBecky for your reply,

I hadn't thought about this but I ususally work out 4 to 5 times a week and this week I haven't been able to get to the gym! That might be why I'm feeling down! I am going to go to the gym in the morning no matter what! I'm sure that will improve my mood. By the way, just reading these boards has helped me to feel better already.

Val

Hey Val,

Cheer up, hon! Think of the positive things you HAVE done so far:

- You've lost THIRTY TWO pounds since late August. That's in just over 8 weeks, so your average is 4 lbs a week. Outstanding!!

- who knows what you might have gained or eaten if you had not taken this positive step in your life!

- you've come back here to check in and made a revelation about head vs. stomach hunger. I think there are a LOT of people on the boards who don't get it, and I'd wager that ALL of us struggle with learning it. I had my "light bulb" about that right off the bat because I knew how much fit my new little pouch and yet my head was obsessing over MORE MORE MORE all the time (it even tries to tell me to take seconds before I even had my first serving - messed up).

It makes a huge difference knowing you're not alone, and also knowing that the band will work with you if you make the commitment. Just think how hard this would be without it!!

Hang in there, darlin!

Thanks Pizzacato,

Today is a much better day! I got out and walked. It also helps to put in perspective where I am today as opposed to where I could be! Thanks for the encouragment all! I'm back on my way to Healthy Street and Right Size Road! (My kids are right, I'm so corny):bounce:

Val

What's the November challenge?

Me too!

I am so missing those days right after surgery when only 1 cup of Soup would fill me. I have had three fills since surgery on 8/21 and I still don't have enough restriction, though I am getting close. This next fill might be the one. Fighting with head hunger and restaurant food has been the worst for me. DH and I love to eat out and when things get busy, like they have been lately, it's so much easier. I found that french fries and tortilla chips go down way too easy!

I need to get back in gear-- exercise, food journal and posts.

Someone had asked what the Nov. challenge is. For me, it's not about exercise but just loss. I've been setting monthly goals for myself - in the 240's by my birthday (Oct 21), in the 230's by Thanksgiving (I'm 3 lbs away as of today), and the 220's by Xmas (13 lbs away).

I need those baby steps to keep my head on straight as I go through this, and to build confidence in myself!

Is anyone else setting goals for Nov/Dec?