Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am kinda freaking out! Had gastric sleeve in October and my hair is significantly falling out. I know it is a part of the weight loss surgery journey but I feel if it keeps falling out at the rate it is I am going to be bald. What is everyone’s experience with this? Will it stop? If so when?

I’m. With you on this! I had surgery in September and I just posted yesterday asking when does it stop?!!! I’ve had mixed responses from people...basically it varies for everyone...like everything else in this journey...ugh!!!!

I was going to post and see when it starts. When did it start for you guys? My understanding is that its up to 30% or so that can fall out, but not all of it and it has to do with activity cycles of folicles (only a portion are active at any given time and the portion active during the early days lose their hair). It is suppossed to grow back too, though some people have said they don’t think it does.

I have not yet seen anyone say that it doesn't grow back. All accounts of Hair loss that I have read say that it will grow back for certain.

Keep your Protein consumption up and it will grow back.

This has been my biggest problem. I’ve easily lost 30%. More like 40%. It started at around three months. I’m at six months this week and the loss seems to have slowed.

And yes guys a I hit my Protein targets, took my Vitamins (including biotin), used $80 Shampoo (nioxcin) and it still fell out. I personally ignore any smug people who say they they didn’t lose hair because they took Biotin or used some witch brew. Some of us are just gonna lose a ton of hair. I honestly couldn’t have done any more to try and stop it.

Its growing back now a bit. I can see little bits sprouting everywhere. When I first found them I did a little dance to celebrate!

It sucks big time guys. But I have lost 50kg/110 pounds so I have to hang on to that. Plus now it only takes 10 minutes to blow dry my hair. So that’s something.

Edited by LaLaDee

This has been my biggest problem. I’ve easily lost 30%. More like 40%. It started at around three months. I’m at six months this week and the loss seems to have slowed.
And yes guys a I hit my Protein targets, took my Vitamins (including biotin), used $80 Shampoo (nioxcin) and it still fell out. I personally ignore any smug people who say they they didn’t lose hair because they took Biotin or used some witch brew. Some of us are just gonna lose a ton of hair. I honestly couldn’t have done any more to try and stop it.
Its growing back now a bit. I can see little bits sprouting everywhere. When I first found them I did a little dance to celebrate!
It sucks big time guys. But I have lost 50kg/110 pounds so I have to hang on to that. Plus now it only takes 10 minutes to blow dry my hair. So that’s something.
It is related to rapid weight loss.. Nothing is going to stop it until weight loss decreases it will return again to its past state

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

I’m in the same boat plus my Hashimoto’s has flared so I have autoimmune Hair loss as well! Some of it should slow once my thyroid normalizes but my dietician said the hair loss can last a long time. She said I’d notice baby hairs around a year. This chick can’t afford extensions for volume! [emoji24]

Last week I asked my doctor this question...he basically said it stops when your weight levels off...I knew it was likely to happen, but I kept hoping it wouldn't!

This has been on my mind since my surgery is just a few weeks away. I have really long hair, I already lose some due to my PCOS and it's already thin so I'm hoping I don't end up losing a huge amount and I don't want to cut it I want to avoid that if possible lol I've been taking the Multivitamins my surgeon recommended. So any other ideas that have helped anyone on here is greatly appreciated!

May hair was falling out already and I was ready to shave it bald last Sunday but my SO wouldn't do it. If I lose 30 percent of my hair I won't have any but I've big chopped before and I'll do it again. Plus I have a bunch of wigs I use when I sing with the band so I'll just wear those and get more. I think I just want to not be fat and unhealthy more than I care about my hair. hahaa

I'm in the same boat. Chunks of hair coming out during the shower. I am taking all my Vitamins (I struggled at first so I switched to Vitamin patches) including Biotin. I'm blessed to have originally had thick hair and I have gone through Hair loss after I had each of my 3 kiddos. Yesterday I didn't seem to lose as much in the shower so here's hoping we are slowing down.

I was sleeved on 11.8.17

I can tell i have lost some even though my GF don't think so. Just got all my labs back and everything looks very normal as far as Vitamins.

Yep the Hair loss is real. I was told by the surgeon it usually starts around four months and lasts until about your one year anniversary from surgery. But I have noticed it has slowed at around six months and I have a ton a new baby hairs. I am very excited that it is growing back! I also took all my Vitamins, etc. If it’s gonna fall out, it’s gonna fall out.

On 2/18/2018 at 5:27 PM, tdubbz said:

I am kinda freaking out! Had gastric sleeve in October and my hair is significantly falling out. I know it is a part of the weight loss surgery journey but I feel if it keeps falling out at the rate it is I am going to be bald. What is everyone’s experience with this? Will it stop? If so when?

Take prenatal Vitamins. Can’t hurt.

I started losing hair about 4 months after my surgery, and it lasted for 4 months. It recently stopped. I started with thick hair and it's now thin but not so bad that anyone but me would notice.