Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cereal with Milk

Does eating a Breakfast Cereal with milk go against the rule of no eating with liquids? (Having to wait 1/2 hr before or after eating to drink liquids)

I'd like to know your opinion. Once again Mahalo for your advice.

11 minutes ago, Danny Paul said:

Does eating a Breakfast Cereal with milk go against the rule of no eating with liquids?

@Danny Paul

my NUT told me i shouldn't put milk on my cereal. not kosher!!:wacko:

but....dry cereal for breakfast?

i don't think so!!

solid w/ milk - liquids - peep have been shot for less!

i was told no way jose' LOL

good luck

kathy

Once in a while I will have a measured portion of shredded mini wheats. I put only half a cup of milk on them. I let the milk soak all the way into them and eat them. There is no milk in the bowl when I do this, it is all soaked into the little cereal biscuits. I enjoy this is a change from eggs and such but only about twice a week as it is so much higher in carbs.

Its not so damaging when you can only eat one serving of cereal and cereal has lots of Vitamins and Fiber if you choose wisely. It’s on my list of foods that are ok to eat.

I make this "cereal" that I'm planning on using post op.

1/4c 2% cottage cheese (Daisy)

1/4c Greek yogurt, plain (HEB)

1floz Fairlife fat free milk

4-7 drops liquid vanilla stevia (Vitacost)

1oz frozen blueberries (no Syrup or sugar added)

6g Fiber One cereal threads (original version)

6g sliced almonds

Stir the first 4 ingredients until well combined, then top with frozen blueberries, cereal and nuts.

Nutrition: 148cals; 16g protein; 14g carbs; 5g fiber; 8g net carbs; 7g sugar

It's so dang good. I would probably drop the blueberries to 1/2oz post surg cuz of the sugar content of the meal. It really eats like a bowl of cereal and milk without all the liquid lake of milk part. :)

Edited by FluffyChix

While not an out-and-out BAN, a majority of bariatric surgeons swear a jihad on commercial breakfast cereals.

They are poor nutrition overall ...

** USUALLY TOO MUCH SUGAR;

** USUALLY LOW OR ULTRA-LOW FIBRE

** USUALLY TOO FEW COMPLEX CARBOHYDRATES
** USUALLY TOO HIGH IN GLYCEMIC INDEX

They add to the bread and pastry problem for obese/overweight people.

- - -

EXCEPTIONS:

*** Small serves of rolled oats

*** Small to medium serves of steel-cut oats.

*** A handful of brands of wholegrain breakfast biscuits made without sugar.

The liquid in these should be in the preparation ... NOT in the serving.

- - -

I find the crockpot version of steel-cut oats ideal - high fibre, filling, integral (optional) milk or skim milk. Would you like the recipe?

Just don't add sucrose or milk at the table while serving.

Yes, it does. That being said, so is chicken noodle Soup, and I still eat that too.

I tried cereal with milk for the first time while traveling for work this week, Raisin Bran with skim milk. I ate my Protein first and only had a few bites. I also have a still-unopened box of Rice Krispies I bought after surgery.

So, I second the opinions of many, almost all processed cereal is just sugar in a crunchy package. However, I have been curious about this solids/liquids mixture question. For example, my NUT had not problem with chicken and vegetable Soup. The chicken does make me really full so maybe its a Protein thing. One thing I have tried (NUT recommended) is some oatmeal with added flavorless protein. The calories and macros are similar to a Protein Shake so its nice to have something "breakfastey" to eat every once in a while.

3 hours ago, Beardman said:

So, I second the opinions of many, almost all processed Cereal is just sugar in a crunchy package. However, I have been curious about this solids/liquids mixture question. For example, my NUT had not problem with chicken and vegetable Soup. The chicken does make me really full so maybe its a Protein thing. One thing I have tried (NUT recommended) is some oatmeal with added flavorless Protein. The calories and macros are similar to a Protein Shake so its nice to have something "breakfastey" to eat every once in a while.

My nutritionist is ok with chil, stew, and New England seafood chowder. The problem with other Soups is that they’re too thin and/or the protein content is too low.