Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the best way to mentally prepare?

I will likely be self-pay so it may be a shorter wait for me. How would you recommend preparing for the lifestyle change, both practically and emotionally?

Edited by ElseeG

I had my surgery less than 2 months after I decided to call a surgeon and find out the process. I'm in Australia, and the insurance regime is way less intense than in other places. We don't even have to lose any weight to get approved. There's no waiting. I think if I had had longer to prepare, I would have gotten more and more nervous!

My preparation suggestions:

• have a plan - who are your support people? tell them what you need from them. Decide if you're telling your colleagues, friends, strangers, heck if you're going to snap chat your surgery - whatever. Figure these things out.
  • take lots of "before" photos and measurements (I wish I had done this).
  • write a clear list of reasons why you are doing this (this was helpful to me, I keep it on my phone and look at it when things are difficult). You might make a dream board. It's nice to have something visual.
  • if you know people who have had surgery, talk to them to get their perspectives. If not, then check out forums, youtubers, blogs, whatever. You will feel less alone. I even binge watched a lot of My 600lb Life and documentaries on weight loss surgeries.
  • educate yourself on what a high Protein diet looks like.
  • read and learn all the information that your surgeon and nutritionist will be providing you. My family also read this information. Ask your surgeon if you have any questions.
  • think about what you want to pack for the hospital. it doesn't really matter what you bring, but if you feel prepared and in control, it can help.
  • think about your kitchen. Are you OK with other household members keeping bad food around? i purged my pantry and keep all junk far away from me. people who live with me have to keep the chips and crap out of my sight!
  • Consider if any mindfulness techniques will help you. Relax, read, light a candle. Indulge in crappy reality TV. Make a playlist of songs that help you feel calm. Whatever is soothing. You need to learn how to keep yourself happy without food.
  • If appropriate, get therapy.
  • start your Vitamins NOW. these will help your body heal after the surgery. I think Vitamin D is particularly important.
  • If you can, start some light exercise like walking every day. Being fitter will help you cope with the surgery and your new life.
  • start drinking lots of Water.
  • acknowledge and appreciate that your life is going to change. Make peace with it.

LaLaDee...great, practical suggestions. I saw a surgeon yesterday and was pleased with the meeting, but I'm still not on board 100%. I'm living "as if" I'll be having the surgery (it would be the sleeve, prob in June) and will see. Currently in month 3 of my required 6 months of physician-supervised attempt at weight loss for insurance purposes. Lost 8 lbs this past month, doc asked that I lose 10 more.

Anyway, just wanted to commend you on your list of suggestions.

2 hours ago, EmOceans said:

LaLaDee...great, practical suggestions. I saw a surgeon yesterday and was pleased with the meeting, but I'm still not on board 100%. I'm living "as if" I'll be having the surgery (it would be the sleeve, prob in June) and will see. Currently in month 3 of my required 6 months of physician-supervised attempt at weight loss for insurance purposes. Lost 8 lbs this past month, doc asked that I lose 10 more.

Anyway, just wanted to commend you on your list of suggestions.

Thanks Em. See how you go! I have no regrets but it's a big decision. It sounds like you're doing really well! 8 pounds in a month is massive! Spending time reading through these threads will help you adjust to the idea of WLS and decide whether it is for you. It's not for everyone so you definitely want to be 100% committed to have the best chance of succeeding.

One thing that might help you with long term success is to realize the mistake many doctors and even their nutritionists make, encouraging their patients even right after surgery to eat sweet tasting foods. This is a huge moment for you to rid yourself of sugar cravings. Stop eating anything sweet, period. Get your Protein Powder from grass fed PLAIN whey (or another plain Protein powder, no sweetener in it, no flavor). I mixed it into full fat milk, or even Water (really tasteless and boring), and then learned to enjoy it with a bit of flax seed in the wonderful full fat plain Greek yogurt.

Get used to plain water. Unsweetened tea or coffee (use fats at will, cream, ghee, coconut oils). No fruit. And no fake sugars. None. No sweet tasting anything.

Eating is difficult at first, and your gut bug population will change from your pre op diet. What a glorious opportunity you are given, to change the content of your diet. The surgery provides Portion Control for a long long time. But YOU can grab the opportunity to stop eating sweet things. When your gut population evolves over that first month, it will end up being the good bacteria that crave resistant starches like cooked and cooled potatoes and root veggies. You can even add some inulin (a Fiber powder) or potato starch to your Protein Drinks. These starches will feed your gut bugs and keep them happy and regular, and they will only have you crave those starches.

You won’t crave sweet foods if you avoid the sweetened whey powders and drinks and the fake color, sucralose jellos and crap. Broths and cheesy bakes taste way better than fake flavored fake sugared jellos. And keep you losing. Use the pause in your diet to choose nonsweet foods. What a great opportunity not to waste.