Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cancer survivor then sleeve surgery HELP!

Hi I had cancer last year did all the chemo radiation etc... now as part of my treatment doc wants me to have the sleeve surgery then get breast flap reconstruction with my skin from my belly. What do you guys think Im scared A F

Thank the Lord you made it through cancer and are still here to ask these questions. You have enough bravery for an entire village and I salute you. This surgery I believe will be a stroll in the park for you. My Bariatric Buddy Fluffy Chix is a breast cancer survivor, lives in Houston Texas and will be having weight loss surgery on the 20th. She, like me, can be so funny but has head on straight and few things ruffle her feathers. Look her up, I've learned a few life lessons from her myself. Don't be scared, honey you've been thru the fires, been tested and I believe stronger for it. Cancer does not play fair, you beat that rascal. You'll be fine. Just think,if your surgeon uses your belly skin you could,be ending up,with boob dimples from this surgery. See there's always an upside! Hey if you want to talk I'm almost always here. I'll have a RnY early-mid March at Mount Carmel in Columbus Ohio,so see I'll be going thru surgery also. I'm 72, I'm not scared, I just want to live longer, live healthier and live thinner. Obesity is a bummer on someone my age, you get sick and tired of being sick and tired. Ah but this spring will be beautiful, probably plant a garden and work in it. This year I won't puke when I bend over from the pressure on my belly. I have reflux and my RnY will help cure that. Your sleeve will help your life better too, I'm excited for you. Let us know when you get a surgery date, we'll all pray for you.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Good for you! I had cancer, too, though was lucky enough to beat it with surgery (a hysterectomy). After that surgery, the sleeve was a walk in the park!

Seriously, I've had six or seven surgeries in my life, and the sleeve really does compare with having one's gall bladder out (laparoscopically). I had almost no pain, although my energy was very low for at least a month. I also really didn't enjoy the first month of liquids and slurries and no real food, but it gets much better with time. I'm now eating pretty normally, although with much smaller portions, an emphasis on Protein, etc.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to investigate the sleeve surgery and do that if it sounds like it will help you with your health overall. Worry about further surgeries later. I'm hoping to have skin removal of my "apron"/abdomen, as I think the insurance will cover that, but I kind of wish I could do my upper arms and boobs, too. If not--well, still will be better than being so overweight.

Good luck!

@Marissa37 Congrats on fighting like a girl. In the end, this is too serious not to follow your doctors' advice to the letter. Risk of recurrence is very real, and I'd want to do everything possible within my power to keep that from happening.

You might want to call insurance. Mine won't allow WLS until 5 years cancer free. When I was at 5years, my onc started talking WLS to me. But I wasn't ready for the change. It took me about 18months later to get my head in the game and to start the process. From start to now, it's been about 10 months. I hope to have surgery 2.20.18.

As for having DIEP (autologous tissue transplant from your belly fat) flap reconstruction, you do have to be careful not to lose too much weight, so that there is sufficient grafting material. I lost down to 218lbs during chemo/radiation/double mastectomy/expanders. My PS, told me we had to do the bilateral latissimus dorsi flap procedures and implants because I didn't have enough fat left in my abdomen to do the transplant and he felt I would not like the results. He also said that even with a partner doing the other side, it would have been an 11hour surgery and he felt I wasn't strong enough to withstand it.

So I would make sure you thoroughly understand the process he's suggesting to you and do your research and make sure you won't have any surprises. I hope they at least put tissue expanders in during your surgery?

Hang in there and study. You'll find your way!

Here's some research I compiled. I made the decision to do RNY because it's more effective against metabolic disease. Hormone positive breast cancer is an obesity mediated metabolic disease that some refer to as Diabetes Type 3.

ResearchWLS_MetabolicReset.pdf

3 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

@Marissa37 Congrats on fighting like a girl. In the end, this is too serious not to follow your doctors' advice to the letter. Risk of recurrence is very real, and I'd want to do everything possible within my power to keep that from happening.

You might want to call insurance. Mine won't allow WLS until 5 years cancer free. When I was at 5years, my onc started talking WLS to me. But I wasn't ready for the change. It took me about 18months later to get my head in the game and to start the process. From start to now, it's been about 10 months. I hope to have surgery 2.20.18.

As for having DIEP (autologous tissue transplant from your belly fat) flap reconstruction, you do have to be careful not to lose too much weight, so that there is sufficient grafting material. I lost down to 218lbs during chemo/radiation/double mastectomy/expanders. My PS, told me we had to do the bilateral latissimus dorsi flap procedures and implants because I didn't have enough fat left in my abdomen to do the transplant and he felt I would not like the results. He also said that even with a partner doing the other side, it would have been an 11hour surgery and he felt I wasn't strong enough to withstand it.

So I would make sure you thoroughly understand the process he's suggesting to you and do your research and make sure you won't have any surprises. I hope they at least put tissue expanders in during your surgery?

Hang in there and study. You'll find your way!

Here's some research I compiled. I made the decision to do RNY because it's more effective against metabolic disease. Hormone positive breast cancer is an obesity mediated metabolic disease that some refer to as Diabetes Type 3.

ResearchWLS_MetabolicReset.pdf

Hi wow what a journey. Thanks for the heads up on the belly fat. I didn't have breast cancer I had Soft Tissue Sarcoma in my breast its a rare cancer that attacks my soft tissue. My doc said (and before I say what he said I just want to make clear I love joking around and do not take things personally and love the truth. So my oncologist and I have a very good relationship). my doc said I'm a walking soft tissue and we need to lower my chances of getting cancer again (my fat of course being the soft tissue) When he said that we laughed but because he put it so bluntly and in the manner that I speak he didn't have to convince me I was 100% in I trust him. I did my homework on him before hand and hand picked him so here I am.

I found out I had cancer Jan 11, 2017

Radical mastectomy Jan 19, 2017

Emergency surgery hematoma Jan 19, 2017

37 High dose Radiation treatment

AIM chemotherapy 4 rounds each round 3 days 10 hours a day (maximum of chemo allowed in a human I'm not allowed to get chemo anymore )

Now I'm just like recovering living my "new" normal I take care of my body more and now its time for the sleeve surgery. I had a goal so I never got depressed even though plenty of family and friends left my life after my diagnose and everything started to get real. I forgive them but this weight loss surgery has me scared because I feel like my fun chubby self will be gone is like who will I be if i already think I'm the sexiest thing alive will I get worse? Sounds like a weird question but I'm so happy with my 4 kids and my gorgeous husband I feel like we had so much change and it shook our foundation when I got sick cause I'm the one that held things together but I'm proud to say My husband, kids and parents did a wonderful job I love and adore and am grateful to them forever.

Its like I'm content and now I have to change that is my fear but with this sight I'm changing my fear into excitement and i know i need to increase my chances of living a longer life so I'm all in. Thank you for being all in with me. I feel incredibly supported sometimes its hard to explain to people in my life what I'm going through because they cant put themselves in that situation. Our experiences bring us together I hope to help other people stay positive and not depressed as 95% of people I met in my cancer journey were depressed I was laughing it up and joking and chilling netflix and chemo chilling lol all that.

I guess i'm having a dear diary moment and I apologize for the TMI and the inner workings of myself.

Looking Forward to life.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:11 AM, Marissa37 said:

doc wants me to have the sleeve surgery then get breast flap reconstruction with my skin from my belly.

@Marissa37

I think doc has a great suggestion/idea about style of reconstruction surgery to have.

"about" 20 years ago, the tram flap was relatively new - few stats. (hmmm, similar to the

sleeve) now they both show successful stats

being hesitant, nervous about more/newer surgery is understandable, but, GET OVER IT:lol:

good luck with your continued, successful trip with reconstruction. Good wishes that

all will continue to go well.

welcome to the cancer free bench, I am sitting next to you, squeezing your hand.

proud breast cancer survivor

19+ years and counting