Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Years Post Op - Now a Problem (Need advice)

Hi there,

This is my first post on this forum. I'm approx 7 years post op and have only needed 1 fill. I've always had a good deal of restriction. I've lost about 80 lbs. Last two years I've gained about 10 back. I probably haven't been the best patient the last few years. I still PB a lot as there's times that I just want to eat!! Anyway, we're currently scheduled for an IVF cycle so I'm taking alot of meds. Anyway, I woke up Monday literally not being able to swallow water! I cannot get anything down. I've lost just about 7 lbs in the last week. I'm getting scared. If I've had some sort of slip I would assume I'd need surgery to correct it, and that could jeopordize our upcoming IVF. Has anyone ever gone through just a random bout of complete restriction?

Again, I'm so long post-op that I haven't kept current with the latest news on the band. Any advice would be most appreciated. Would a slip in my band cause total restriction? thanks in advance.:rain:

First - HUGE congrats on your weight loss! I am a beginner - banded 2.5 weeks now and have lost 21 pounds so far. Great job keeping it off too, I hope I have that staying power.

About the swallowing - Oh my gosh....go to the doctor! Kind of gross, but can you swallow your spit? If you can't even swallow Water there is certainly a problem - and you can become seriously dehydrated which can cause other physical/health problems. I am not a doctor or nurse but have a friend that had a swallow problem unrelated to banding so I have a little exposure. Perhaps your IVF hormones have caused some sort of change in your body chemistry to create this now. I know the meds are very expensive and it is such an emotional investment going through this but if you aren't healthy it will lower your PG chances too. (DH and I did a couple years of Injectibles and IUIs) At the very least, CALL the doctor.

Take care and good luck....

When you are doing IVF you typically take high doses of hormones. That might be part of the problem. Maybe it is a slip. But if it is a slip it isn't the end of the world. If you catch it early then 80+% of the time it is totally fixed with a complete unfill and liquids for anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks.

Get it checked out quickly. You need a fluoro exam.

I wouldn't mess around with that. I would go to the doctor and have it checked out. I think it wouldn't interfere with your IVF unless you are going to require surgery to repair something. Good luck, hope you feel better!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches