Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have always been a big dude all my life. I have also always been the dude that works outside and never wore a jacket until it got below 40 degrees and was always hot even when the AC was spitting out popsicles. I am now 13 days post-op (down 20lbs btw) and have found myself to be unusually cold these past few days. My wife always complains of being cold when I was either comfortable or feeling a little to warm. Now she is looking at me like I am going crazy and turning into a weenie. A few of my compadres experienced being more sensitive to temperature, but this was after they had considerable weight loss. Has anybody else experienced a reversal in their temperature tolerances this early in the game?

This is incredibly common. i was freezing after surgery.

This week, in fact, is the first time since surgery that i've gone to bed without taking hot Water bottles and heating pads with me.

You'll feel more like yourself when you start to consume more calories each day. Nothing burns calories like generating heat. When you're starving...your body cuts resources for this.

I got by with lots of cardigan sweaters, fleece socks and lots of hot baths when I couldn't take it anymore:)

I am coming up on 3 years post op. I was the guy that wore short sleeves even though there was a winter advisory in effect. Now I have two space heaters in my office that run almost year round. One pointing at my feet and the other on the desk pointed towards my hands.

Yeah, it doesn't really ever go away in my experience.

I have always been a big dude all my life. I have also always been the dude that works outside and never wore a jacket until it got below 40 degrees and was always hot even when the AC was spitting out popsicles. I am now 13 days post-op (down 20lbs btw) and have found myself to be unusually cold these past few days. My wife always complains of being cold when I was either comfortable or feeling a little to warm. Now she is looking at me like I am going crazy and turning into a weenie. A few of my compadres experienced being more sensitive to temperature, but this was after they had considerable weight loss. Has anybody else experienced a reversal in their temperature tolerances this early in the game?

I freeze all the time now. I sleep with a warm jacket, socks and don't laugh but sometimes I now even put a toque on. I just cannot warm up. And if it's below 30 outside I put on two pants. Cannot go walking outside because I shiver..wish I lived in Hawaii instead of Canada! [emoji55]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using BariatricPal mobile app

So glad you posted this! I’m 8 days post-op and I’m feeling exactly the same way! I’ve always been one to feel more cold anyways so I thought it was just me but since the surgery, it’s been a little worse. I’ve been wearing thick pjs to bed and an extra blanket. Has slightly gotten better but man, I didn’t know it was gonna be like this!

YES. I am 4 weeks post-op tomorrow and I am freezing cold all the damn time. I have a space heater under my desk at home (they're banned in our building at work and I'm DYING), one in our bedroom at night, and in the evenings, I generally sit on the couch with a fire going, a blanket over me, wearing a hat and gloves (with the heat in our house set to 72). I think it's driving my husband a little crazy but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it, and it's good to hear I'm not alone.

Edited by kaydo

Just came home from sleeve surgery but face hot.

Just ordered this heated seat cushion to use at work (because space heaters are banned in our building). USB plugin. CAN'T FREAKING WAIT.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774RL3JM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by kaydo

Because of my water bottle and heating pad habit, my hubby got me an electric blanket.....which I objected to using through the night...cause it's too hot and then we both sweat and are miserable. And we have pets and I don't want anyone chewing through a wire and setting the house on fire.

BUT!

I have found that keeping it between the many layers of bedding on our bed....and turning it on for about fifteen minutes before we go to bed...makes sliding into the sheets absolutely wonderful:)

5 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Because of my Water bottle and heating pad habit, my hubby got me an electric blanket.....

How funny, my husband ordered me a heated mattress pad yesterday! (Dual-zone so he doesn't have to sweat.) I'm a little nervous about the inconclusive science making a connection between electric blankets and cancer (there doesn't seem to be any serious science that connects them but I know many people are still leery) so when he told me he ordered it, I initially told him to cancel it but it had already shipped and is arriving today. We'll see...

If you're worried about it, maybe just use it like I do. Turn it on to warm up the bed before you get in. Then turn it off for the night:) It's still super nice to get into a nice warm bed:) Kinda like clothes out of the dryer. LOL

Edited by Creekimp13

1 minute ago, Creekimp13 said:

If you're worried about it, maybe just use it like I do. Turn it on to warm up the bed before you get in. Then turn it off for the night:) It's still super nice to get into a nice warm bed:) Kinda like clothes out of the dryer. LOL

Yeah, that's what I did with the space heater last night so maybe I'll do that. Seems a very expensive way to heat a bed (I think the mattress pad cost about $130) but I'm so freaking cold, I'll take it... :)