Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Appetite/Pain

Hello I had VSG on 12/21/7 and I have no appetite at all I can only drink about half a Protein Shake each day if that and maybe 3-4 bites of food each day I do try to drink at least 2 bottles of Water each day but most days can only drink one. I’ve lost 31 pounds so far but I’m worried I’m not getting enough in. On top of all of this I have had very bad chest pains and abdominal pain has anyone else gone through this??? Help!!!

Hi there, have you spoken to your surgeon about this? What did they say?

#1 - What food stage are you at right now?

#2 - What are your protocol goals on Protein, Water and Vitamins, and are you able to meet those goals?

#3 - Dehydration can be a deadly complication, do not take this lightly, that you are unable to ingest liquid or food. You should consider going to the ER right now. Having chest pains, abdominal pains, these are no good.

Above all I think you should immediatly pick up your phone and call your surgeon's office. Many people have come here asking this kind of advise and the next time we hear from them they are in a hospital room on an IV drip. It's no joke.

Hi I’m in the puréed food stage I do take my Vitamins daily and Protein intake should be 90-100grams each day, I was seen last week for dehydration and given some fluids I’ve called my surgeon they seem to think the chest pain is unrelated or gas but I know it’s not gas. I’ve told them about my intake and they said as long as I’m getting something in I should be fine which of course doesn’t sit to well with me. I have another appointment tomorrow so I’m hoping they can figure something out. To make matters worse I am scheduled to return to work Friday and I just can’t go back yet my body just isn’t strong enough and they are trying not to extend my time [emoji20]

Try pouring four little one ounce medicine cups of fluids (clears or Protein drink) every hour. Challenge yourself to drink one tiny cup every 15 minutes. If you do this every hour, it will add up and drinking will start to get easier.

My recommendation would then be to go to your General Practitioner if your Surgeon continues to not be concerned or doesn't have more options for you.

Try pouring four little one ounce medicine cups of fluids (clears or Protein drink) every hour. Challenge yourself to drink one tiny cup every 15 minutes. If you do this every hour, it will add up and drinking will start to get easier.

Thanks I wil definitely try this

My recommendation would then be to go to your General Practitioner if your Surgeon continues to not be concerned or doesn't have more options for you.

Thanks

2 hours ago, TeirraC said:

Hello I had VSG on 12/21/7 and I have no appetite at all I can only drink about half a Protein Shake each day if that and maybe 3-4 bites of food each day I do try to drink at least 2 bottles of Water each day but most days can only drink one. I’ve lost 31 pounds so far but I’m worried I’m not getting enough in. On top of all of this I have had very bad chest pains and abdominal pain has anyone else gone through this??? Help!!!

I was sleeved on 12/20/2017. I also have no appetite. I may get 15 grams of Protein a day. It takes me 2 hours to eat a 6oz yogurt. Water sits to heavy in my stomach so I have mixed in SF Kool Aid packets into it and it goes down a lot better. I have learned the hard way that I have to take extremely small sips at one time, and take small spoonful of food spaced out in order for me to feel normal. Otherwise it feels like it gets stuck in my chest area. I hate to admit this, but this process is for some reason way harder than I had originally thought. I am hopeful things even out and get better as time progresses.