Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like I don't deserve this

Hello everyone,

I am just starting out on this journey, in fact, I have my very first appointment this coming Friday 1/12/18. Now, the problem is not if I am on the fence about getting WLS, because I am sure this is what I want. The problem is that I am feeling like I do not "deserve" the surgery. I am 22, and while I have tried numerous diets in my time, I have never stuck to a diet long-term to see its full effect. When the Doctor inevitably asks me about my weight loss journey, I will have to confess that I am a habitual quitter. Have I not done my dues yet to deserve this?

4 minutes ago, PinkFreud said:

Hello everyone,

I am just starting out on this journey, in fact, I have my very first appointment this coming Friday 1/12/18. Now, the problem is not if I am on the fence about getting WLS, because I am sure this is what I want. The problem is that I am feeling like I do not "deserve" the surgery. I am 22, and while I have tried numerous diets in my time, I have never stuck to a diet long-term to see its full effect. When the Doctor inevitably asks me about my weight loss journey, I will have to confess that I am a habitual quitter. Have I not done my dues yet to deserve this?

Every time I tried to lose weight I might drop 5 or so pounds then nothing so I would give up. I have always been active and most of my life been chubby. My weight keeps going up now that I'm getting older. I'm sick and tired of being over weight and now having medical problems. I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor and tell her I'm tired of trying this and that. Nothing is really working and I have my mind made up and I would like to have the surgery done. So you got approved for surgery from insurance. Yay!

Wished I was there already. Did you have to take any classes, see a dietitian or shrink first? Best wishes! You can do this...

3 hours ago, PinkFreud said:

Hello everyone,

I guess I would answer your question by asking why you hadn't completed a weight loss plan in the past. How is your health? Can you afford not to do it? Personally, i feel like the question is not whether you deserve the surgery...instead, it's "do you want to live?" That's what the surgery is about, in my opinion.

You are very young and may be able to turn it around. And if you can, that's great! Did deep, work the program and eventually the answer will be clear. Good luck!

8 hours ago, PinkFreud said:

Hello everyone,

Ok, first of all...regardless of your diet history, you deserve this surgery based on your name alone. You're very punny and "Pink Freud" is the greatest band of all time--remember Comfortably Numb? :D

Now, you DO have to confess to quitting and being unable to stick the landing. Sucks. But true. But guess what? There are 95-98% of the population...in...the...world...who must also confess to this. Those are the stats. The studies and science support those stats. If we could do it alone, then we would.

You got this. Start working now. If necessary, work with a therapist. But the MAIN thing you must question yourself and be truthful about is...can you take responsibility at 22...to diligently keep up with taking your supplements every day for the rest of your life? Cuz if you quit those...you could land yourself in seriously deep health **** down the road...

Hugs!

Hello everyone,

Here's my take... YES! You do deserve this and better to do it now while you're young and relatively healthy rather than waiting until your older with medical issues. Also I tried many many diets, fad diets, weight loss plans, went through bouts of course anorexia, bulimia, binge and purge, laxatives, phen-fen, dexatrim, Atkins, weight watchers, lapband and so cleanse diets.... You know what that got me? It got me a metabolism that hoards fat because it knows I'm trying to starve them all out. It got my body so messed up that I'm the person whose been sleeved and only looses about 1-2 pounds a week while I watch everyone else losing 40-50-60 pounds the first 6-8 weeks post op.

Now is the best time of your life to do it before you ruin your metabolism and suffer another 30+ years of your life as an obese person... Heck yeah you deserve it at this stage of your life!

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app