Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hormones Going Nuts?

Hi All,

I've noticed that since I was sleeved, my hormones have been ALLLLLL over the place. It's really not fun. Has anyone else experienced this? Anything you've done about it? Thanks!

hi - did it happen for you right after the surgery?

for me, I haven't really experienced that...I've always been freezing because of thyroid issues but in the last year plus, when I started into menopause ,I was much more hot a lot of times especially at night...even having some hot flashes during the day earlier this year. But since the sleeve, I feel like more of my old self and maybe because of the fat burning, more cold again which is so much more preferable than being too hot..I can always put more layers on.

sorry you are experiencing that..I can never take any kind of birth control as hormones made me feel awful and like a different person so I can understand...what kind of changes have you noticed..is it more temperature or mood/emotions?

YES, this totally happened to me too. I'm on birth control, and I'm wondering if going off would make it better or worse. I personally get extremely depressed and emotional the week before my period, even while on BC. It didn't happen like this before surgery. I haven't done anything about it, but being aware at least helps me kind of prepare for that time when it comes.

I was super emotional for the first week or two after surgery. My clear/full liquid diet and dehydration may have contributed, but I think it was also the surgery wreaking havoc on my hormones. I actually started my period the day after surgery, way ahead of time, so I know something was up. It's much better now though.

11 hours ago, fruitandveggies said:

YES, this totally happened to me too. I'm on birth control, and I'm wondering if going off would make it better or worse. I personally get extremely depressed and emotional the week before my period, even while on BC. It didn't happen like this before surgery. I haven't done anything about it, but being aware at least helps me kind of prepare for that time when it comes.

I definitely think going off and then going back on birth control for the surgery played a big part. I feel like I had things in check in terms of moods and whatnot before (I'd been on BC for years with no interruption), but I feel like it's the mixture of the pills and also the extreme changes my body is going through. It just seems, I don't know... amplified? I mean, a 40lb weight loss in a month and a half has to make an impact, right??

Yes, not something I have experienced befor, but I'm assuming that's what it is. Can't sleep, minor mood swings, very short tempered, more emotional than normal. Losing a lot of weight quickly, so I imagine whatever else is stored in all that fat is coming out too.

Fat cells are highly estrogenic, so as we empty them our hormones go wild. Can't wait to stable off!

Yepper. Had insomnia from hell for two weeks. Got my period a week late after sleeve, then early the next month. Have had an acne flare up. And this is WAY TMI....but have had a sex drive that won't quit. Hubby is thrilled about this side effect. LOL.

1 hour ago, Creekimp13 said:

Yepper. Had insomnia from hell for two weeks. Got my period a week late after sleeve, then early the next month. Have had an acne flare up. And this is WAY TMI....but have had a sex drive that won't quit. Hubby is thrilled about this side effect. LOL.

haha, he's probably losing weight on this diet too! Beats eating!

Part of the sex drive thing has to be losing some weight and being a little more comfortable in my skin, feeling the fitness benefits of my exercise routine on my energy and stamina...but yeah, I think hormones have played in, too:) Easy cardio. Bahahaha!

2 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Part of the sex drive thing has to be losing some weight and being a little more comfortable in my skin, feeling the fitness benefits of my exercise routine on my energy and stamina...but yeah, I think hormones have played in, too:) Easy cardio. Bahahaha!

Definitely part of it. My wife lost 60lbs and got to below her goal weight using Weight Watchers last year and it had a definite effect. As my doctors say - being thin helps everything!

Now I'm catching up to my wife, which is nice... we'll be able to do activities like hiking that we haven't been able to do for years!

Isn't that the coolest? Hubby and I did some canoeing and hiking this summer as I was getting started on my diet. Been a few years since we did that...particularly, since we've done it without kids. My daughter and the cousins are all in college now (except one little who we see once a year). Doing stuff...just us...with no one to take care of or whose needs need to be put first....has been really nice:) Feels like the old days when were were dating.

5 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Speaking of sex drive! I was sleeved on the 9th and the first few days were horrible! I ended up back in for dehydration! Have now moved on to full liquids! I have noticed that just the last day or two that is all i can think about is SeX! So how long do we wait before doing the deed! I also had a hernia repair and am still in some pain and nauseous but he may have to sleep in another room! Lol

My doc said to just pay attention to my comfort and do what I feel up to sex-wise. We took a couple weeks off, and then made a point to keep things lower key for a bit.

Sorry if this is TMI...I thought it was a good question. Anyone else's doc give them different instructions about resuming sex?

Dr just said like with exercise you can do it up to your comfort. If it hurts stop. They did say to limit pressure on your abdomen. We waited about 2 weeks, honestly before that I felt like crap anyway