Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First week post op

I was sleeved on Thursday 12/21 and got home yesterday afternoon. Emotionally I am struggling with it being Christmas Eve and tomorrow Christmas but I’ve stayed off social media and my family is supportive so that helps. My biggest struggle right now is fluids, including Protein Shakes. I can’t really tell when I’m full because I’m still so sore from surgery: so I often don’t know when I’ve had too much until I’m nauseous. Thankfully, I have not thrown up yet. It took me over an hour to drink an 11oz Protein Shake this morning. Is that typical because my stomach is still healing and can’t hold as much? It honestly feels like work to get the 64oz of Fluid in and I’m doing it (because I don’t want to end up back in the hospital) but it takes forever. Considering I’m still sleeping quite a bit, that takes drinking time away as well.

How do others deal with this? How do you feel when you’re full? Does the time consuming piece ever go away?

You probably won't have a full feeling until you start eating solid food. For now, just sip on beverages (including Protein shakes).. I pretty much sipped all day..

I'm a few days out, too, and was having the opposite problem, in a way. I was sleeved on 12/18, and wasn't having any problems. Yesterday I started feeling better, and more like doing normal things, ya know? Then I gulped down a bit too much, and I could tell. I didn't throw up, but it was really uncomfortable and I started burping a lot... I think the Protein Shakes must be slower than anything. Even though Protein is important, I've been trying to focus on Water. Even if it's in the form of Powerade or whatever... broth is also helpful, and I love my better than bullion mix!

Sent from my Pixel using BariatricPal mobile app

Both of these are helpful I was worrying that I was doing something wrong. Irrational, but it’s where my head was at.

Both of these are helpful I was worrying that I was doing something wrong. Irrational, but it’s where my head was at.

Me too! Even though I haven't had any problems (knock on wood), I just am so worried! Irrational, I know. I've been trying to keep busy, too, but all I can think about is food. (Even had dreams about it last night!)

Sent from my Pixel using BariatricPal mobile app

Right after surgery your body is in a major heal mode. Many find it difficult to meet their Fluid and Protein goals right out of the gate, just keep trying and you should be able to get there after a couple weeks.

3 hours ago, JukeboxJess said:

Me too! Even though I haven't had any problems (knock on wood), I just am so worried! Irrational, I know. I've been trying to keep busy, too, but all I can think about is food. (Even had dreams about it last night)

Thought I was doing ok but I ate my earplug in my sleep last night, so maybe I am pining!

11 days out, I am at 7-8 glasses Water and 40-45 G Protein, slowly rising each day as I can eat a little more youghurt, mashed cottage cheese. Getting there... but not much energy. A walk around the block wipes me out!

Thought I was doing ok but I ate my earplug in my sleep last night, so maybe I am pining!
11 days out, I am at 7-8 glasses Water and 40-45 G Protein, slowly rising each day as I can eat a little more youghurt, mashed cottage cheese. Getting there... but not much energy. A walk around the block wipes me out!

This is good to hear (good for me, sorry!) because I get that my body is in major healing mode but downing a Protein Shake this morning was super difficult and I began to worry. I’m glad to hear I don’t have to follow all the regulations at once. Also jealous that you get cottage cheese and yogurt!!! I can only have liquids. It’s rough on the holidays. I’m trying not to be a bitchy because of my emotional hanger but it’s like my default.

This is good to hear (good for me, sorry!) because I get that my body is in major healing mode but downing a Protein Shake this morning was super difficult and I began to worry. I’m glad to hear I don’t have to follow all the regulations at once. Also jealous that you get cottage cheese and yogurt!!! I can only have liquids. It’s rough on the holidays. I’m trying not to be a bitchy because of my emotional hanger but it’s like my default.

You know what helped me with the Protein Shakes was 1%milk I'm not sure if you cam have it. I was allowed and I thinned out the Protein Shake with it and it was easier for me. I'm not sure what Protein shake you are doing I am doing Premier Protein shakes.< br>
Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

You know what helped me with the Protein Shakes was 1%milk I'm not sure if you cam have it. I was allowed and I thinned out the Protein Shake with it and it was easier for me. I'm not sure what Protein shake you are doing I am doing Premier Protein shakes.

I am doing the same ones! And I can have skim and 1% milk. I’m doing a little better one week out and can stomach almost 2 Protein Shakes.

I am doing the same ones! And I can have skim and 1% milk. I’m doing a little better one week out and can stomach almost 2 Protein Shakes.

Little by little I think I was able to barely do 2 shakes also. Just drink it thought the day not all at once that's what I do. It will get easier. I'm 16 days pre op and trust me it does get easier. You just have to force yourself to drink. I also did Gatorade and thinned it out with Water.< br>