Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Messed up!!!!! (but finally not starvin marvin)

Hey ya'll,

My first confession 5 days out! I am supposed to be on clear liquid..ie..broth,gatorade,liquid Jello, tea, etc.. And I have been absolutely hungry. It seems like everything is going right through me and I am sure it is....sooooo I tried a fudgsicle which led to sugar free pudding last night. This morning when I woke up I was still hungry and I decided that since the pudding didn't hurt me I should try a protien shake. And now after sipping Water and crystal lite all day, I got hungry again. I have resorted to my old ways of standing in front of the food pantry trying to find anything to stick to my ribs. I found a package of instant mashed potatoes and made them with chicken broth and a little water to thin it out. I just keep thinking if I can get it through a straw it is ok.....so then I added cheese and melted it and stirred....then added a little milk and stirred until it was really thin but creamy. I am sure that I haven't done as bad as I could have, but I really wanted to stick to Dr's orders. So now my one mess up of pudding on clear liquid led all the way to mashed potatoes!!!!! I only ate about 7 spoonfuls and feel full for the first time since surgery, but now I feel like a cheaterconfused.gif . And I don't know how I am going to go back to clear liquid for 3 more days.... I Need a PEP talk... I know what I did was wrong for the weight loss aspect but I really am concerned that I may have messed up the healing process, even though I have no pain (except port incision...) Did anyone else go through this???

Hi Becca,

I did the same thing and am still alive so far.

Staci

Orlando, FL

banded 12-14-04 Mexico

Becca..Here is your pep talk.

Get back on liquids! You do not want to risk anything going wrong with your healing Dr. Ortiz gave those instructions for a reason. The digestion process is why. He does not want you to eat anything that may cause the stomach to rumble and churn and turn during the digestion process. Your band needs to heal and set place and your sutures need to heal in place. Even thouigh it feels fine now it could casue you problems later down the road when you do finally got to eat solids and the real digestion process starts.You could risk slippage or your port flipping if you do not follow his instructions. Your lucky, seems he changed his post op diet since I had surgery. I was on Clear liquids for 2 weeks and then ful liquids for a week for a total of 3 weeks. It is almost over..hang in there :)

Please follow your surgeon's orders!!! Just because it feels o.k. doesn't mean it's good. You can be causing problems that won't show up until a lot later down the road. Better to stick to the rules and get that all important healing done right the first time. You can do this...one day at a time!

Liquids after banding is not an option! That is the best way to think of it. No questions...just do it. It's very important, but don't be discouraged over what happened already. Pick yourself up and go on...with a smile on your face, if possible. :eek:

Try making a list of things to do when you want to eat. Include liquids you can have and hobbies and exercise and phone calls. Whatever gets you through the night...oh yeah....oh yeah... Hang in there! :)

What you're having is the next phase, mushy. I would stick to the true liquids, even if creamy. I ate a lot of the creamier Soups the second week.

I think as long as you don't have to digest it you're ok. You don't want your tummy muscles to have to work, they're still healing. I did have sausage gravy, but I didn't eat the sausage, because of worrying about digesting it. After someone explained the digestion part I was a tad more particular about any mushy/solids sliding down.

Good luck, you'll be just fine.

Thanks everyone!

I know what I have to do! It is just hard to remember to how important the rules are when my tummy is growling and I get that same desperate feeling I used to get while dieting! I will be better from now on!

Thanks again for the pep talks! I so needed it!

Becca,

I was starving during the liquids phase too but it will be a lot better once your on full mushies. They gave me Jello in the hospital after surgery so a few days after I got home I justified eating pudding. LOL... Don't know how the two correllated but it seemed justifiable to me at the time. Just do your best to follow the doctor's orders from here on out. We all make mistakes but don't do too many, you'll be on mushies very soon and your meals will finally take on new life. Teresa

It is going so much better now that I have added yogurt and Protein shakes per docs orders! I am actually getting full on my 1/2 cup! Things are looking up! And I have lost 10 lbs!

Thanks for wondering about me! It makes me feel so great to know that someone is thinking of me!

Becca, you're doing great! 10 pounds is awesome! Try not to weigh yourself more than once a week. It will save your sanity!