Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bra Shopping

paula

Im kinda embarressed to post this thread, but I need help!

I need a new bra. :ermm

Last time I bought a bra was before my band, so that was 40+ pounds ago. So there's extra room in there - not something Im used to. And since Im in need and JC Pennys is having a big sale on them, I decided that it was time.

For the first time in my bra life, Ive realized that I have no idea how to pick one out. I used to get a certain "granny style" that is made for large busted women. But things have changed now, and I realize that NOW I actually have a choice.

Oh geez, the choices...... there are some that make you pointed, some that flatten you (minimize), some that make you rounder, underwire, no wire, wide straps, WIDER straps, front clasp, back clasp....

I know its a personal preference, but should they be round or pointed? And what does the wire thing do??

Only on LBT can I ask questions like this.

the wire thing hurts me. lol. custom fitted are usually more pointed, supposedly putting the breast tissue up and in front where it belongs instead of splattered out under your arms and on your back. sorry to say, us large folks need support. support is not often pretty. :)

i think they have people who do custom fitting in dillards and foleys. after losing even 10lbs it is a good idea to be fitted correctly.

why do i know these things? i used to work for a company who made custom fitted bras. i still maintain that a properly fitted bra will take 10lbs off your appearance. i have seen it time and time again.

I personally love the underwire bras. They lift and separate and put the girls where they are supposed to be. I get my bras at Avenue and get the smooth cups that have a plunge for the added cleavage. LOL!! Like us big breasted women have a problem with that. LOL!!

I've been "wired" since about 1960, give or take. (I'm looking forward to bralessness post BR.) Can you force yourself to go for a fitting?

Here's what I DO know: the instructions on how to measure vary from store to store and make no sense. (I just took a survey.)

I wore the Lane Bryant bras that have a wide underband instead of underwires for comfortable times. I loved them. My mom has them now and loves them. I had underwires for more "uplifting" occasions. I like having a variety. :)

Kelly, I think it really depends on whether you tend to lose weight in that area. That's the first to go for me, but it seems that some people tend not to lose much weight there.

I really needed new bras around 50 pounds. I also found that I can wear underwires and push-up bras now without being uncomfortable. Good thing, 'cause I really need the push! :)

I can wear the underwires and pushups more comfortably now. I've lost around, but not in the cup size, And you have such a nicer, prettier selection when you get in the smaller ones!

I wear an underwire that minimizes. Does anyone have a problem with the wire jabbing you under your arms? Pointed or rounded?????? I can't wait to hear what Jack's response will be. I like the rounded look better for myself. I once tried on a bra that was so pointy it reminded me of the Austin Powers movie where the girls (robots) had the bras that turned into machine guns. (lol...that movie just makes me laugh).

Even the outlet stores like Bali and Playtex will measure you for the correct fit if you want.

I've been wired since they came out with them, ok, I'm old. I went for a period of time and I must have spent $200 or more on all kinds of bras. They either pinched or rode up, too tight or squashed the puppies or let the puppies show. I ordered my most comfortable bra ever on line, it's called Oprah's favorite bra. It was around $42.00 and worth every penny and then some.

It's by Goddess and it's style 906. Just put the brand and style in your search engine and you'll get all kinds of hits.

Maureen, I've been told if the wires are poking, your cup's too small.

Good luck bra hopping.

if you havent bought your bra yet...

go to victoria secret!! get fitted! make sure you are the size you think you are!

victoria secret has a HUGE clearance going on now!!! bra's from 9.99!!!! and you can try them on to see if you like how they fit.

my boobs are smaller and saggin...i buy the padded push up bra its $45 regular but on sale for $20. i got all mine for $45 and it was worth EVERY penny!!!

i also have 'the body by victoria' bra...they are more comfy..no padding but still a GREAT bra!

have fun!

The only bras I can find in my size are underwire. But as soon as I get home I use manicure scissors to snip the bra, then I remove the metal part and throw it away. Much, much more comfy.

Leatha, I was trying to remember what you told us in Galves. about the way a proper bra fit, "custom fitted are usually more pointed, supposedly putting the breast tissue up and in front where it belongs instead of splattered out under your arms and on your back." Thanks, that gives me a better direction of what I need to be looking for.

Kelly, Ive lost in both places, around AND cup size :) (thank God)

Ive never had a bra that actually fit correctly OR comfortably. Cup sizes were always too small, so I would have to buy the largest and squeeze everything inside. Therefore, I have NO idea what my actual size was to start with.

I have NO problems with getting fitted, but like Sue said, every place fits differently. And Ive noticed that every brand fits differently. And most likely my cup size will still NOT be on the charts.... so again, an improper fit and more squeezing.

This is frustrating.

I think Ill try the Avenue and/or Lane Bryant. Thanks everyone!