Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling hopeless

6 minutes ago, kasensmom said:

So I am 8 weeks out today I started at 237 current 202. I am feeling a little defeated I feel like I haven't lost anything or I am doing something wrong. Please help!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey I'm sorry you're having a down day. ((hugs)). So let's rearrange your POV and turn that frown upside down, mkay?

You are 8 weeks out. Average weight loss for non-surg peeps is anywhere from 1-2lbs per week. That would be a max of about 16lbs if people lose 2lbs EVERY week. Right? But come on, how many people lose 2lbs every week??? Not many. Cuz stalls happen!

So you've lost 237-202=35lbs in 8 weeks. 35/8=4.375=4 3/8lb per week! Great job!!!

Holy crap Batman! You've lost 4.375lbs per week, on average. That's not great, it's outstanding!!!! It's actually really a very quick rate of loss over that time frame!

So adjust your love goggles, Mamacita and get on with being happy about your success!

Congrats!

Edited by FluffyChix

I was in the same depressive situation and my weightloss was about the same as yours at this point. That first month is glorious. You loose an incredible amount of weight and it feels so good. The rest of the months tend to slow down.

You've lost 35 pounds. Go find some weights and try to lift that (actually don't do that unless you are exercise approved).

Also, remember that loosing weight, especially fat, produces hormone responses. I too got horribly depressed right around the same time. Whenever I drop 4 or 5 pounds, I feel it again. Getting up and walking and exercising really helped me feel better. And it helps with the weightloss.

I also went through a really sad period when I mourned food. I cried over not being able to eat the large amounts I wanted. It's OK to cycle through your feelings. It's normal and expected.

Yes, I wanted to kick the scale this morning too!!!! I am 4 weeks out and have lost 13 pounds, of course I want 25 - right? I did lose 23 pre-op.

But I lost 6 whopping inches from my waist and my capris are falling off my slightly less fat ass.... <grin>

I hope you took your measurements when you started this journey. Sometimes our bodies rearrange and lots of inches fall off when the weight loss slows or stops in a stall.

Hang in there!

3 hours ago, kasensmom said:

So I am 8 weeks out today I started at 237 current 202.

You're feeling hopeless after a loss of 35 pounds in 8 weeks?

Okay...you're actually losing at a much faster rate than I ever did. It took me a whopping 3 months to lose 33.5 pounds.

With the exception of the first 2 months, all of my losses had been single digit (1 to 7 pounds per month), yet I eventually hit goal and lost 100 pounds in a little more than 17 months.

Realistic expectations are crucial. You didn't become obese overnight, so it stands to reason that you won't lose the weight overnight. Also, since you weren't super morbidly obese, you'll never be one of the folks who loses 30+ pounds monthly. Ever.

Once you accept the aforementioned realities, your weight loss journey should progress more smoothly. No one gives a rat's ass how rapidly you lose. It's your ability to maintain the weight loss for life that matters the most.

Good luck to you. :)

Unfortunately, we all have high expectations for our WLS. I'm almost 12 weeks out. On the day of my surgery I weighed 211. Yesterday at the surgeons office I weighed 175.5 that's 35.5 pounds. You've done in two months what I did in three. I'm guessing you'll do even better as you progress. I also look at what I call the residual benefits. My A1c went from 7.5 to 6.4(diabetes on the way to being reversed) All diabetes meds (4) discontinued. BP from 120/80 with two meds to 117/72 with no meds. Cholesterol 201 (with two meds) to 140 (with one med). So you see everything good can't be measured in pounds lost. You're doing well keep up the good work.

what were you expecting?? 35 lbs was more than I'd lost at eight weeks out. The #1 rule with this is, do NOT compare yourself to others. We all lose at different rates because of a whole host of factors (age, gender, starting BMI, metabolism rate, etc). If you stick to your plan, the weight will come off. You are doing just fine.

Is this just an attention seeking post? I'm not judging even if you had done no research on this surgery prior. Who wouldn't think that weightloss is amazing? Even if you had the heighest expectations. This makes people who lose less start to doubt themselves and wonder if they are doing bad.

Right. Your doing great.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

6 hours ago, dreamingsmall said:

Is this just an attention seeking post? I'm not judging even if you had done no research on this surgery prior. Who wouldn't think that weightloss is amazing? Even if you had the heighest expectations. This makes people who lose less start to doubt themselves and wonder if they are doing bad.

Right. Your doing great.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

I think a lot of people read about people losing 30 lbs the first month and think that's the norm. So they think there's something wrong with them if they lose less than that, not realizing that those 30-lb people are outliers. I wish people were told that 15-25 lbs is the normal range for the first month, then people wouldn't get so freaked out when they don't lose 30 lbs (of course, there are a few who do, but most of us who've been around for awhile know that's NOT common). I've been the presenter at the "surgery patient Q&A" at my clinic's pre-op classes for the last 18 months or so and I tell the classes every time that 15-25 lbs the first month (and 10-12 lbs a month after that up until about the 6th or 7th month) seems to be the norm. I just don't like people to go into this with unrealistic expectations and think they're failing when they're not.

We all have moments when we feel like our weight loss isn't enough. How much of our lives have focused on a stupid scale? As long as you're sticking to your plan, try not to worry so much, as your body is changing, even if you don't see it. Sugar and cholesterol is getting better, you're probably more fit! The scale will catch up on its own timing.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey I'm sorry you're having a down day. ((hugs)). So let's rearrange your POV and turn that frown upside down, mkay?
You are 8 weeks out. Average weight loss for non-surg peeps is anywhere from 1-2lbs per week. That would be a max of about 16lbs if people lose 2lbs EVERY week. Right? But come on, how many people lose 2lbs every week??? Not many. Cuz stalls happen!
So you've lost 237-202=35lbs in 8 weeks. 35/8=4.375=4 3/8lb per week! Great job!!!
Holy crap Batman! You've lost 4.375lbs per week, on average. That's not great, it's outstanding!!!! It's actually really a very quick rate of loss over that time frame!
So adjust your love goggles, Mamacita and get on with being happy about your success!
Congrats!

You are an amazing at encouraging people on this forum. I'm so glad you are here![emoji173]

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

@tankheadmommy Ditto. :blush:

(I'm having a Ghost moment without the sex...not that there's anything wrong with that!)