Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Busying your mind - quieting head hunger

So, I'm 2 months out from RNY and still having a problem with hunger. About every 2 hours or so, I find myself thinking about food, wanting to go rummage thru the fridge or pantry for something to munch on while I'm working or on a conference call. Now, I know that's not a very good idea and so to help me NOT go back to old mindless eating habits, I started sucking on hard candies whenever I feel the urge to go get some food (outside of my planned 3 meals or snack times).

Is this happening to anyone else? Does anyone else suck on hard candies, mints, chew gum, etc in between meals/snacks to try and quiet the head hunger? What's bad about this is that my hard candies are Jolly Ranchers - and NOT the sugar free ones. I know, I know! That's all I had around at the time I started this new habit, and I figured it was better than shoveling in foods I shouldn't.

And here I was so excited to have the grehlin hormone essentially cut off from sending such strong signals to my brain, I was hoping I'd be one of the lucky ones who stopped being hungry altogether after surgery!

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts? Words of wisdom? Advice? What did u do to quiet your head hunger after several weeks post-op? Are u in the same boat as me, still feeling hungry in much the same way u felt PRE-OP?

I have not had surgery yet, Mine is Nov 30th....so I cant speak from a place where someone has already had surgery but I can speak from the point of view from the pre op.

I personally think it all comes down to self discipline. You don't NEED to snack between or eat the jolly ranchers, you WANT to do it so you do it and instead of grabbing the candy, grab something healthier. I am sure everyone goes through this pre-op, but after surgery it is up to you to use your new tool to your advantage and follow the guidelines to make sure you lose the weight. At the end of the day, we are not going through all of this and taking all this time to slip back into old habits,which I understand can happen...but you are still fresh, so you still have time to correct this behavior. Stop sabotaging yourself, and get back on track.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-ways-to-overcome-head-hunger

If it's head hunger, then it isn't NOT having discipline. You obviously had discipline to follow doctor's orders to get this surgery, it is deeper than that. You may need counseling, you have used food in the past to quell boredom, anxiety, or whatever emotion or thought you need to silence.

I suggest when this urge appears that you just close your eyes a minute and 'sit' with the feeling. Ask yourself what happened just before the thought or urge? What feeling are you avoiding? Are you afraid of failing? Etc.

The physical need to nourish your body is real. Write out your times for actual food and read it so your mind can absorb the concept - 'oh it's not a scheduled snack or mealtime, I will have a cup of tea or crystal light and wait - it's only an hour away.'

But if you must have something - it cannot be SUGAR - have half of your high Protein snack in your desk drawer, something you have to chew.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Sosewsue61 said:

If it's head hunger, then it isn't NOT having discipline. You obviously had discipline to follow doctor's orders to get this surgery, it is deeper than that. You may need counseling, you have used food in the past to quell boredom, anxiety, or whatever emotion or thought you need to silence.

I suggest when this urge appears that you just close your eyes a minute and 'sit' with the feeling. Ask yourself what happened just before the thought or urge? What feeling are you avoiding? Are you afraid of failing? Etc.

The physical need to nourish your body is real. Write out your times for actual food and read it so your mind can absorb the concept - 'oh it's not a scheduled snack or mealtime, I will have a cup of tea or crystal light and wait - it's only an hour away.'

But if you must have something - it cannot be SUGAR - have half of your high Protein snack in your desk drawer, something you have to chew.

Good luck.

It honestly isn't a matter of "having self control and making choices." At the best of times, many of us are able to make these choices...but when you're in the grip of it--things get quite dicey. You aren't less of a person because you struggle--I want you to have that as a take away right now. Ok?

@Sosewsue61 This is great mindfulness/CBT advice!! I love it. I would add to this, start deep breathing exercises while performing this reflection/processing work. The simple act of inhaling with pursed lips like you would take a long drag from a cigarette, holding it, then expelling through pursed lips to fully empty your lungs works soooooooo well! I do it 3 or 4 times and it never fails to lower my anxiety immediately. It's so calming and allows you time to really think. You can also google 4-square breathing techniques. I bet you'll find how-to vids on YouTube.

You don't mention what or how much you have been eating, or at what intervals. Maybe you could share a couple of days worth of menus and someone might be able to spot something that you might be able to tweak so you don't have to live a life of constant willpower battles. You know?

I for one can't wait to get to my nutritionist in early December. Since starting PT a couple of weeks ago, I've had a huge surge of hunger in the afternoons/evenings. I come home from PT and I about want to chew my hands off, I'm so hungry! And I know I'm eating plenty, overeating actually.

Hope you can figure it out so things get easier!!! ((hugs))

Edited by FluffyChix

OP - I'm 3 weeks out from my surgery, and I thank you for posting your issues as I am hungry all the time and I'm still on full liquids. I drink a Protein Shake - 1 oz every 10 minutes (dr and diet. recommended plan), then a bottle of Water, then another Protein shake, then another bottle of water, then 1 final Protein Drink, then one more bottle of water. I'm constantly hungry. I've had my follow up with the dr with little help there. The dietician stated it might take time - really? My surgery was originally delayed due to a water issue at the hospital, so I was on liquids for 4 weeks prior to surgery! I'm more hungry now than I was then. I've tried keeping busy, but it's a constant feeling of emptiness. My therapist has been super helpful in learning to recognize it and come to terms - maybe you can find someone specializing in weight/food issues to help you.

It seems some of us will always feel hungry regardless of the tools we use - we get the opportunity to practice being mindful more often and make more considered decisions.