Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Warning! Speed Bump Ahead!

I'm fast. I like to do most things fast! :D (I said MOST!!! ;) hehe @JerseyJules--ok HERE. HERE I'm being naughty! Oh, you know what I'm tawkin' 'bout! ;) hehe)

I also eat incredibly fast! INCREDIBLY. Am I yelling? It feels like I am. :D

So yeah, turns out that may not be so good for the ticker!!! This is just emerging: Heart and waistline impacted by speed eating.

Here is the study from Japan. Yes, it's an association study and associations can never prove causation--but it seems like a small enough thing to change just on the "what if" side of the argument.

And because it only takes 2 years for the AHA to jump on board with policy statements, here's their article on it.

What do you think? Are you a fast eater? Do you have metabolic syndrome?

Thoughts please?

19 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I'm fast. I like to do most things fast! :D (I said MOST!!! ;) hehe @JerseyJules--ok HERE. HERE I'm being naughty! Oh, you know what I'm tawkin' 'bout! ;) hehe)

I also eat incredibly fast! INCREDIBLY. Am I yelling? It feels like I am. :D

So yeah, turns out that may not be so good for the ticker!!! This is just emerging: Heart and waistline impacted by speed eating.

Here is the study from Japan. Yes, it's an association study and associations can never prove causation--but it seems like a small enough thing to change just on the "what if" side of the argument.

And because it only takes 2 years for the AHA to jump on board with policy statements, here's their article on it.

What do you think? Are you a fast eater? Do you have metabolic syndrome?

Thoughts please?

My thoughts from being a speed eater.

Thinking back I was disconnected to the feeling of full. When I ate fast, I didn't have the sensation of full until it was too late. Once the sensation came I was overly stuffed.

I think I justified the behavior. I told myself life was too busy and didn't pay attention or care about nutrition. I would eat on the run to get back to business. It contributed to my weight gain.

After reading this definition in the article: Metabolic syndrome occurs when someone has any of three risk factors that include abdominal obesity, high fasting blood sugar, high blood pressure, high triglycerides and/or low HDL cholesterol, said Japanese researchers.

How could I not have metabolic syndrome from my weight. My health was the worst it had ever been,

After surgery. I'm thankful feel the sensation of full. I appreciated mindful eating classes. But it's still a work in progress to slow down.

1 minute ago, jenn1 said:

My thoughts from being a speed eater.

Thinking back I was disconnected to the feeling of full. When I ate fast, I didn't have the sensation of full until it was too late. Once the sensation came I was overly stuffed.

I think I justified the behavior. I told myself life was too busy and didn't pay attention or care about nutrition. I would eat on the run to get back to business. It contributed to my weight gain.

After reading this definition in the article: Metabolic syndrome occurs when someone has any of three risk factors that include abdominal obesity, high fasting blood sugar, high blood pressure, high triglycerides and/or low HDL cholesterol, said Japanese researchers.

How could I not have metabolic syndrome from my weight. My health was the worst it had ever been,

After surgery. I'm thankful feel the sensation of full. I appreciated mindful eating classes. But it's still a work in progress to slow down.

I so agree--even before surgery--it's a constant evolution. I some days wonder if I will "ever get there." You know? It often feels like 1 step forward, 2 back--with near-constant challenges to derail and chuck it all to the curb.

I kinda look at this as a chicken or egg study. You know? Yes, how could I not have metabolic syndrome from my weight. But more importantly, did the rate at which I ate contribute to my metabolic syndrome which in turn impacted my severe and morbid obesity?

I so get what you're saying also, about not having the full sensation until it was too late. I don't know about you, but I used to actively "chase" that sensation. I wanted that feeling of a beyond full, replete tummy. It mean't "all was right with the world" and God was in His heavens. LOL. Ugggh!!! Talk about stinkin' thinkin'!!! I absolutely was either in denial about it or rationalized that behavior.

And thinking logically, controlling how quickly food hits your intestines determines the rate of glycemic response. We use all sorts of eating behaviors to address this like: eating vinegar foods prior to a meal, eating fats and Proteins with fruits and carbs to slow stomach emptying, eating Protein first to increase satiety and also slow stomach emptying. So this study makes perfect sense! Why not simply train ourselves to eat mindfully with awareness to early fullness and eat slower. It's one of the "easiest" (relatively) things to do for ourselves. Right? But for some reason, the lightbulb finally went off for me with this article. Funny, huh? I was told for years to quit eating so quickly. To put my fork down between meals. It was an old WW mantra. And yet, I didn't get it!

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I so agree--even before surgery--it's a constant evolution. I some days wonder if I will "ever get there." You know? It often feels like 1 step forward, 2 back--with near-constant challenges to derail and chuck it all to the curb.

I kinda look at this as a chicken or egg study. You know? Yes, how could I not have metabolic syndrome from my weight. But more importantly, did the rate at which I ate contribute to my metabolic syndrome which in turn impacted my severe and morbid obesity?

I so get what you're saying also, about not having the full sensation until it was too late. Talk about stinkin' thinkin'!!! I absolutely was either in denial about it or rationalized that behavior.

And thinking logically, controlling how quickly food hits your intestines determines the rate of glycemic response. We use all sorts of eating behaviors to address this like: eating vinegar foods prior to a meal, eating fats and Proteins with fruits and carbs to slow stomach emptying, eating Protein first to increase satiety and also slow stomach emptying. So this study makes perfect sense! Why not simply train ourselves to eat mindfully with awareness to early fullness and eat slower. It's one of the "easiest" (relatively) things to do for ourselves. Right? But for some reason, the lightbulb finally went off for me with this article. Funny, huh? I was told for years to quit eating so quickly. To put my fork down between meals. It was an old WW mantra. And yet, I didn't get it!

Love that you had an ah ha moment and shared this.

I don't know about you, but I used to actively "chase" that sensation. I wanted that feeling of a beyond full, replete tummy. It mean't "all was right with the world" and God was in His heavens. LOL. Ugggh!!!

I'm a stress emotional eater. It was a very self destructive cycle. The overly stuffed feeling made everything slow down and I could relax. (Same feeling as the food coma you get after a large Thanksgiving meal;)) I slept better and all was right with the world.

Ooo I don't like even thinking about how that felt.

32 minutes ago, jenn1 said:

Love that you had an ah ha moment and shared this.

I don't know about you, but I used to actively "chase" that sensation. I wanted that feeling of a beyond full, replete tummy. It mean't "all was right with the world" and God was in His heavens. LOL. Ugggh!!!

I'm a stress emotional eater. It was a very self destructive cycle. The overly stuffed feeling made everything slow down and I could relax. (Same feeling as the food coma you get after a large Thanksgiving meal;)) I slept better and all was right with the world.

Ooo I don't like even thinking about how that felt.

Oh my gosh. I know! Even now I am eating large quantities of healthy food to hit some "seemingly arbitrary" caloric number from my surgeon. She wants me eating 1500cals. Well, if I was eating crap, that budget would get used up very very quickly. But since I'm consciously eating "healthy" high nutrient, low caloric foods, you'd be surprised how much food you get for 1500cals per day. The RD wants me eating 3 meals + 3 Snacks to get used to eating at regularly scheduled times. Consequently, I often eat when I'm not hungry now. I am still slowly losing weight, which is what they want, but not losing my 8-10lbs a month like I was when eating 850cals/day. But it's psychologically difficult at times to make myself eat. It's a huge difference from the old days. I do still have a full tummy most of the time, but usually it isn't a stuffed feeling. Yet, I still juggle hunger, now that I'm working out in PT. And of course, I still battle the whole comfort eating cues! Ick! But I can't wait for the day when I don't have to chase or feel that stuffed feeling!!! You=lucky girlie!!!

opps repost

Edited by jenn1

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Oh my gosh. I know! Even now I am eating large quantities of healthy food to hit some "seemingly arbitrary" caloric number from my surgeon. She wants me eating 1500cals. Well, if I was eating crap, that budget would get used up very very quickly. But since I'm consciously eating "healthy" high nutrient, low caloric foods, you'd be surprised how much food you get for 1500cals per day. The RD wants me eating 3 meals + 3 Snacks to get used to eating at regularly scheduled times. Consequently, I often eat when I'm not hungry now. I am still slowly losing weight, which is what they want, but not losing my 8-10lbs a month like I was when eating 850cals/day. But it's psychologically difficult at times to make myself eat. It's a huge difference from the old days. I do still have a full tummy most of the time, but usually it isn't a stuffed feeling. Yet, I still juggle hunger, now that I'm working out in PT. And of course, I still battle the whole comfort eating cues! Ick! But I can't wait for the day when I don't have to chase or feel that stuffed feeling!!! You=lucky girlie!!!

Sorry I'm taking up your thread chit chatting with you. The topic is just hitting home with me.

Eating higher calorie goals can be an all day process after bariatrics..Right? Eating higher calories to fuel is against my bariatric instincts. but it was a necessary evil at the time. (distance running) Now I'm back in weightloss mode after a gain. Had withdrawals going back to 1300 calories and low carb. Took time but I'm back at it.

I think it's not realistic to think hunger goes totally away with surgery. Hunger is a built in survival mechanism. It's more manageable after surgery for me. Before..Hungry all the time

Still working on how the scale changes my mood. How fast how slow and gains still mess with me at three years out.

When I think about all the years of half-hour lunch breaks... dashing from work to whatever fast food was closest, then practically swallowing that crap food whole. *shudder* But even now that I've been and SAHM for a number of years, I can't really imagine taking a half hour to eat a meal. Normally 15 minutes is my max. Looks like I have another skill to learn.