Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I get standard duodenal switch or Loop

Every time I go for my apts they always tell me because my age and weight I should get the loop and that the surgeon might not even do the standard on me and one even said i would look really sucked up at the end results and that would make me look older etc there really good at pushing the loop on people of heard from some people and 2 friends she also told me that you go bathroom 5 to 6 times a day and I already have bathroom problems WARNING DETAILED : diarrhea about 3 times a day I don't have IBS or anything iv been tested for everything anyways has anyone around my age and height and weight gotten the standard duodenal switch and for everyone else do you use the bathroom more often And diarrhea at that ? What is your opinion on what I should get

Weight:315lbs
height:5'7

I'm 21 and I just got the Loop DS on 11/6. Surgery weight 389, weight as of Wednesday 11/15 was 371. It's too early to tell but so far all of the problems that I've heard would happen from the start haven't happened yet (knock on wood!) With either, there will be changes in the bathroom. I'd trust in your surgeon as they know and want what's best for you! Hopefully some others on here have better insight! Best of luck to you.

Thank you that helped

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, Payup23 said:

Every time I go for my apts they always tell me because my age and weight I should get the loop and that the surgeon might not even do the standard on me and one even said i would look really sucked up at the end results and that would make me look older etc there really good at pushing the loop on people of heard from some people and 2 friends she also told me that you go bathroom 5 to 6 times a day and I already have bathroom problems WARNING DETAILED : diarrhea about 3 times a day I don't have IBS or anything iv been tested for everything anyways has anyone around my age and height and weight gotten the standard duodenal switch and for everyone else do you use the bathroom more often And diarrhea at that ? What is your opinion on what I should get

Weight:315lbs
height:5'7

This is my opinion: The traditional DS has been around for 30+ years. It’s went through some modification but it’s been through real life testing for a long time. That is comforting for me. The Loop or Single Anastomoses Duodenal Switch is new, less than 10 years old it is basically an experimental procedure that most insurance will not cover. It’s a challenge to find any statistics on it. That makes me nervous. There’s no way to tell for certain if long term success is similar to the Traditional. I personally wouldn’t want to be a test subject. As far as what you will look like in the end, that’s a bunch of nonsense. I have a whole support group here. Many who are 5 years out or more and no one looks gaunt or “old”. It’s not a good excuse for pushing a new procedure on to you.

D12AF7F3-A1F5-40F8-BE1B-8543CB50094B.jpeg

21FFF611-A80C-4EE6-9F02-457B93E4A422.png

If you don't mind me asking what was your surgery weight and you look amazing you have done such a great job keep it up

I'd personally go with the tried and true...

7 hours ago, Payup23 said:

If you don't mind me asking what was your surgery weight and you look amazing you have done such a great job keep it up

Thank you I’m very happy with my progress. Start 371. Current Weight 245. Went from a size 4X to an XL. Don’t have to shop in the Plus department anymore.

I got the DS Loop July 27,17
pre-op weight 322 lbs I'm now 243. The way the surgeon explained it to me was that. ... the DS and the DS Loop where the same the loop just gives you a little more intestines. That also varies, depending on how much extra he feels you might need. I week later my daughter got the DS. We are both doing fine. The first 3 months are the hardest because for me everthing tasted horrible. But now it's better. I'm
5'9 ish and 55 years old.20171119_085157.jpg yesterday. IMG_1767.jpg
March 2017

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using BariatricPal mobile app

https://www.dsfacts.com/SADI-SIPS-Loop-DS-not-same-as-duodenal-switch.php

Please Read this article before making a decision.

I chose the traditional DS because there is no long-term data on the effectiveness of the loop/SADI/SIPS and I'd already made a mistake on the lap band. I simply wanted to go for the tried and true rather than have a still-experimental surgery. This is not to say that the loop is bad. I'm just saying that the long-term data was a big deal for me when making my decision.

Please do read the article that dsdesigna linked to on dsfacts - it's quite informative. And... good luck on your journey no matter which path you take.

I wish that article was dated... I’d like to know when it was written.