Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about weightloss surgery but I have an Issue.

Hi,

I'm 5'5 280 lbs and 23 years old. I want to lose this weight cause i feel like complete **** every day and the more i think about it the more depressed i get about it. I tried to exercise again but i could feel my chest tightening just a block away from my house doing a mild jog, my back was already aching and i tend to get chest pains that start on the left side of my chest and appears to work its way down my left arm. these chest pains have become the norm for me. But lately i was walking the mall with my little sister and my back was killing me and my chest was tight. only 40 minutes in and i need to sit.

Now, I've been active most my life. Baseball, Soccer, Tae Kwon Do and Highschool Football. but after highschool i just stopped exercising completely. Now onto my issue, I want to get this surgery cause it may be my last chance at being able to start a healthy life. But because of my issues i mention before hand i don't know how i'm gonna do this 6 month supervised weightloss program, sure i've pushed through pain before with football but that is a different kind of pain. This pain feels more like i'm about to have a heart attack or my body is just gonna break. I'm just so worried right now.

Also yes i eat pretty balanced meals, i love cooking so i make everything fresh, real meats, fresh veggies and all hand cooked. No fast food, no high sugar treats, just the occasional soda when i'm watching t.v or playing video games.

I wanna know if there is a way to maybe shorten the program or maybe go to a F.P.A (Fat.People.Anonymous) meeting of sort. I don't know any help would be nice.

My suggestion is to take a step back, and kind of start from scratch. You don't have to jog, go for a walk. You don't have to do 40min, start with 15. If you do 15min 3 times a day, you are doing 45. And then slowly increase as your get stronger.

You say you eat healthy. For a whole week, write down everything, and I mean everything, you eat, even if it's just gum. Eat as you have, don't make any changes. Then look at it and see what you can eliminate, one thing at the time.

You don't have to do everything at once.

Also, before you get approved for the surgery, you'll have to go through a whole lot of test which will determine if your body can handle the surgery. Also, you can withdraw up until they put you under.

If you are considering this, maybe start the process and see how it goes. If your insurance requires 6 months supervised diet, then the only way around it is self pay really.

I agree with all the above comments. Definitely start off slow with exercise. As you lose weight, it all becomes easier. The requirements of surgery are set by your insurance and/or your surgeon. My insurance had no time requirements but my surgeon required six months of meetings and nutrition appointments. I know it seems like a long time but it went by fast and it taught me some great habits.

Good luck!

Ok, it may not be that you are feeling LIKE you are having a heart attack... you very well may BE on the verge of having one. Please don't do any exercise until you get evaluated. Make an appointment TODAY with your doctor.

Exercise has very little to do with losing weight (for the obese, especially at the beginning of a program). It's all about the calories.

I'm not suggesting you see your doc. I'm telling you to go.

I could barely walk just a few months ago at 385 pounds. I went to cooking low carb. Less then 20 carbs a day. I lost 23 pounds in 12 weeks but lost about 15 inches. I can actually walk with minimal pain.

Ok, it may not be that you are feeling LIKE you are having a heart attack... you very well may BE on the verge of having one. Please don't do any exercise until you get evaluated. Make an appointment TODAY with your doctor.
Exercise has very little to do with losing weight (for the obese, especially at the beginning of a program). It's all about the calories.

THIS^^^^^^

10 hours ago, WIndowsX.P said:

Hi,

I'm 5'5 280 lbs and 23 years old. I want to lose this weight cause i feel like complete **** every day and the more i think about it the more depressed i get about it. I tried to exercise again but i could feel my chest tightening just a block away from my house doing a mild jog, my back was already aching and i tend to get chest pains that start on the left side of my chest and appears to work its way down my left arm. these chest pains have become the norm for me. But lately i was walking the mall with my little sister and my back was killing me and my chest was tight. only 40 minutes in and i need to sit.

Now, I've been active most my life. Baseball, Soccer, Tae Kwon Do and Highschool Football. but after highschool i just stopped exercising completely. Now onto my issue, I want to get this surgery cause it may be my last chance at being able to start a healthy life. But because of my issues i mention before hand i don't know how i'm gonna do this 6 month supervised weightloss program, sure i've pushed through pain before with football but that is a different kind of pain. This pain feels more like i'm about to have a heart attack or my body is just gonna break. I'm just so worried right now.

Also yes i eat pretty balanced meals, i love cooking so i make everything fresh, real meats, fresh veggies and all hand cooked. No fast food, no high sugar treats, just the occasional soda when i'm watching t.v or playing video games.

I wanna know if there is a way to maybe shorten the program or maybe go to a F.P.A (Fat.People.Anonymous) meeting of sort. I don't know any help would be nice.

If it's' a requirement form insurance company, there is no way to make it shorter. Know this is to prove to your insurance company you can change and do this.

Some suggestions:

(1) Ask your surgeon's office if the dietician can give you a pre op diet consult. Ask if they have a local bariatric support group.

(2) Download myfitnesspal to learn how to log your food now. You will be logging your food after surgery this makes it so much easier than writing it down.

You can access it from your computer

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/logout

or cell phone

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/mobile/android

tutorial videos on how to use the app

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=myfitnesspal+tutorial

(3) Be open to try new things to be active Like said above it's about moving more. If you have been sedentary, it will take time to get stronger.

Start slow. Walk for 15 mins and build up to a longer period of time.

Upper body work - Resistance bands, Small weights increase tham as you go. Small weight can be two Water bottles.

Chair HIIT cardio. Seated weight training (try it) (google more)

It is a requirement. We have the same stats almost. Same height and my starting weight was 10lbs higher than you. In 26. Depending on your doctor will depend on how serious the “wait” will be. Your insurance usually has the requirements. Mine were simple 3 consecutive visits in which I had to drop at least one pound per visit. Super simple. I ate what I wanted. I worked out 2 times a week (sometimes) I also live in the city so I walk a lot. But I wasn’t put on a diet or anything. But every doctor and every insurance is different

7 hours ago, Berry78 said:

Second this!!! Please get checked out. Don’t exercise until you do so. Over 80% of your physique is diet-related anyway. The other 20% or less of exercise CAN ABSOLUTELY WAIT until you’re cleared to do so!!!

14 hours ago, WIndowsX.P said:

Hi,

#1 For goodness sakes go to a heart doctor and have a stress test ASAP...They might not even operate on you with those issues.

#2 switch doctors and go see Dr. Bertha from NJ Bariatrics, he did my surgery and he doesnt require that 6 month failure program others do. and only 1 day liquid diet leading into surgery.

#3 never drink soda again, ever..Worst beverage period.

Then check out my Youtube page, my very 1st video will sound all too familiar.

9 hours ago, Nataliesmom said:

I could barely walk just a few months ago at 385 pounds. I went to cooking low carb. Less then 20 carbs a day. I lost 23 pounds in 12 weeks but lost about 15 inches. I can actually walk with minimal pain.

That's exactly how I've lost my weight.. with the help of my sleeve.. I eat 20g of carbs or less a day.. down 65 lbs in three months!!!

There is no exercise required per se in the pre-op. I 100% agree with the poster that said GO TO THE DOCTOR. If nothing else, then let them do a stress test for piece of mind. I did that a few years ago. Everything was fine and what I was feeling was anxiety. You can't know unless you go!

19 hours ago, WIndowsX.P said:

This pain feels more like i'm about to have a heart attack or my body is just gonna break. I'm just so worried right now.

Everyone prior to me has said ALL that needs to be said.

1. See your doctor.

2. Keep a food diary and weigh everything you eat. Perhaps, try www.myfitnesspal.com

3. Remember that the diet REALLY is the key to weight loss. The exercise is toning and fitness and good for your body but controlling calories is time-honoured and it works. Patience and Commitment are yours to add.

4. To build your endurance, ready for full-on exercise later, try the Youtube videos someone posted for you or see the right sort of trainer or exercise therapist WITH YOUR DOCTOR'S BLESSING.

Best wishes to get it right for your ultimate benefit.

On 10/24/2017 at 7:21 AM, Berry78 said:

I agree with this 100%. Your symptoms sound alarming and you need to get checked out! If your doctor clears you for excercise you think about what Meryline said...starting slow and working your way up gradually. First things first!