Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on the 15th..and I'm in SO much PAIN

Hi Everyone,

I was just banded on the 17 of Oct, spent the night and came home the next day. My stomach is very sore, but each day it gets better and better. They told me no heavy lifting for 6 weeks. The only real problem I am have is going to the bathroom, #2. Any suggestions. Also I have some gas which I need to get rid of.

Eileen

#2 was a difficult one. It took me I think 3 days, first of all, to get somewhat of an urge....emphasis on somewhat. The 4th day was productive, but it didn't come easy. Today, my 7th day, was my first easy day of doing so, actually the first day at all since that 4th day. Give it some time and definitely keep hydrated. As for the gas....that's my biggest problem. I posted a thread on CO2 tension and everyone who replied said to MOVE MOVE MOVE, WALK WALK WALK. It was hard for me to do these things because that's when the gas hurt me most, but I listened to them, went to Disneyland the next day, walked around for 2 hours and went home. Today I feel great. The pain isn't 100% gone, but it's FINALLY bearable. So I will definitely continue to keep moving until it goes away. Then I'll go back to sitting on my a$$.

=D Hope this helps!

weight.png

Kele Kana

You gave me an excellent idea, :eyebrows: I have been wanting to go to the zoo. I think that will be a good "walking" opportunity for me. I have decided I will PUSH myself for the gas expolsion if for nothing else.

Lion and Tiger and Bear OH MY:llama:<~~~~and a llama too :)

You are preaching to the choir here... we've all been through this. Keep the pain meds going. Take them on time...not when you are in agony. WALKING can NOT be stressed enough for the gas pains. Gas-X, heating pad for those shoulder back and neck pains. You actually should be doing pretty well as far as local discomfort in the incision areas by now. Mine were a complete non-issue by about day three. Maybe you have a low pain tolerance. Once again, take the pain meds according to time, rather than agony. You are on the edge....this too shall pass. You will start feeling a lot better all of a sudden and THEN the hunger will hit you and you're gona go "WHHHHHAAATTTT??????!!!!!!!!" Just expect it and roll with it and don't get disheartened.

I was banded on the 18th and the biggest concern for me was the bloated feeling I was warned about before hand... well I have to say it is VERY uncomfortable and makes me just want to stay humped over in the chair.. I am three days out and feeling better today than yesterday... I only took 1/2 pain pill today.. and have been forcing myself to walk alot.. we went to the shelter today and visited the cats.. something to get my mind off the pain... I kinda of walk hunched over for a minute or two and then straighten up...

whew- I plan to go back to work Monday - 4 days post op but I have a desk job...and I am going crazy with daytime television... I mean.. how much MEERCAT MANNER can one girl watch!

Signed, Hanging in there! Whisper

ugh, I just got banded yesterday and gas pains? What's that? I have knifes stabbing up under my rib cage, shoulder, neck, back. My god this is incredible. I can't take in a big breath, laugh, bend over. If I lay totall still on my right side, I can tolerate life. Any movement or sitting up feels like I"m going to pass out. Not what I expcted.

I hear that completely. My first day post op I couldn't believe the pain. I remember reading a lot on people who were back to work two days later with pain subsiding w/in three days. It was just a reminder that everyone's different. Today's my 7th day and I'm just barely getting around to laughing w/o a lot of pain...just soreness now. Though I think I'll be fine by this Monday, I'm still not going to work...my job's pretty physically demanding.

Every day is better than the last....even if by little. I'm sure people are sick of me saying that.

You can do it!! :clap2:

weight.png

Hey you guys, since we are all along the same timeframe of being banded, are any of you confused about what you are feeling? I mean... Are you wondering (like I am).. is that hunger or fullness or ..nausea.. or .... What is this feeling? I presume it has something to do with the swelling... right?

Am I alone in these feelings?

And as far as the pain .. it absolutley gets better each day... I was able to sleep in the bed last night!!! Yippee!

I am looking so forward to the support group meeting next Thursday!! I am also very thankful of you guys!!!!

Whisper

I have no clue what I"m feeling. Just pain, bloating, spasms. I feel like i have to burb, nothing comes up, then this 5 second intense spasm under my rip cage and a bunch of gurgling and it passes. But sometimes I hear my stomach growling LOUD but I don't feel hungry. I just feel like something is stuck. But I know nothing is cuz I'm on Clear liquids. Today though I can kind of take in a reasonable size breath without feeling like I'll pass out from pain. Being able to breath is a good thing! ;)

Those are the EXACT feelings (like word for word) that I just kinda got over (I'm on my 8th day - and the post "non-burp" pain is still present, but bearable). I seriously thought it was my heart. I called my doc, went on here and posted; they were all right when they said it was normal and it would pass. CO2 tension is NOT fun, but it does go away. I just had to force myself to walk...even if just around the house. Mine was my chest; not sure where yours exactly is. As for the tummy rumbling. I was confused, too. I wasn't sure if it was just gas or if my body needed sustenance, which I wasn't readily willing to give it because I didn't feel hungry. All normal, it will go away and everyday each thing starts to make more and more sense, esp. if you continue to read advice given on this forum.

I posted my thread with the subj: "CO2 Tension...owie" look for that and check out the responses I received.

It's still good to hear I'm not alone on this...I got to the point where I thought my doc was just saying it's normal to get me off his back; it was so painful that I thought there was no way that was normal, and I refused to believe him.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Get used to the Growlies. They are here to stay. Though the HUGE growlies (you can hear across the room) will subside after about a week or two, you will from now on be feeling growling when your stomach is (GASP!:omg:) empty. What a new concept! Sometimes I feed my growlies to shut them up, and sometimes I just let them rumble out.

The needing to burp feeling, the tightness in the chest, that is all very normal and it will pass within about two weeks.

Good to hear Kaycee =) Please tell me when I finally do burp (I haven't since before the surgery) that it will be a manly, 30 second burp, to which I can recite the ABC's...

...now that would be impressive. Screw the weight loss! ;)

I am 10 days out and today is the first day I don't have the gas pain, I do get gas when ever I drink anything. The weight loss on the liquid stage is amazing I have lost 12 lbs in 10 days and that is great for me. I' m walking a mile everyday. Hamg in there.

Good to hear Kaycee =) Please tell me when I finally do burp (I haven't since before the surgery) that it will be a manly, 30 second burp, to which I can recite the ABC's...

...now that would be impressive. Screw the weight loss! :D

OMG!! THAT IS TOOOOO FUNNY!!! I am ROFLMAO! :roll:;):rofl::)

Could it be the difference between staples and steri-strips? I had steri-strips and no-pain whatsoever.

The only time I had staples was after my C-section and they were definitely painful and healing took over a month.

Hi Dozy,

I was wondering did your Dr make you lose weight because of your BMI? Just wondering, and how did your surgery go? My BMI was 65 I am shoting to get it down to 58.5 by my surgery date.

Thanks

No, he didn't make me lose weight... he was adamant that I don't gain any. I only had 3 months nutritional. AND yes, I gained and lost 5 pounds during this time.

I did not have a pre-surgery diet. I was supposed to but I fell through that crack (no one called me to schedule the appt the week before my surgery date).

The morning of the op I said to him "I just hope I did everything right". He said that if I followed the pre-surgery diet I'd be OK. I said, "What pre-surgery diet?"

Here, I've got my IV in, I'm all prepped and about to be wheeled into the operating room in a few minutes, and I just now find out about a pre-surgery diet.

The surgery went on without a hitch: zero pain, and compared to my previous surgeries, a super fantastic recovery.

Good luck Wishes!