Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i wondering if this only works for the first month then...it's just counting calories

I know several people who have lost massive amounts of weight without a fill. I know people who have their band filled to the max and still say they eat way too much in the evenings. ( The band is more open in the evenings)

It is extremely different for everyone. The band seems to have a mind of it's own. There are days that I can eat a certain thing, and the next time I try it, it's a no-go.

I think though that most people who have a 4 cc band find restriction at around 2.5

Do a thread search on how many ccs do you have in a 4cc band. That's a good thread.

hi wintersunshine,

you mention that you can do everything we do with the band (ie. eat healthy, exercise, etc) on your own.

i guess my question is...why hasnt it worked?

hi wintersunshine,

you mention that you can do everything we do with the band (ie. eat healthy, exercise, etc) on your own.

i guess my question is...why hasnt it worked?

I think what wintersunshine was saying is, IF the experience is the same with the band as without, then why get the band? Frankly, that was my first reaction, too, when I started reading these boards. It's easy to get that impression when you read the same kinds of threads that you can find on any diet board regarding plateaus, counting calories or points, cheating, starving, etc.

I'm glad this thread was started because the answers have been very informative. I think the point y'all are making is that it is possible to not lose or even gain with the band and that, yes, we still have to make healthy decisions about what, how much, and how often we eat and whether we exercise BUT the band, when used correctly, helps us by forcing us to slow down, eat less, and make better choices to keep us feeling full. I appreciate the OP, who has responded politely when asking for more information or clarification. We all want to make the right choice.

When I read about some of the drawbacks, I sometimes wonder if this is right for me because I have a relatively low BMI. Is it worth it to possibly experience the unpleasant side effects to lose 70 pounds and potentially keep it off the rest of my life? If it was GUARANTEED that I would vomit in public, experience horrendous chest pains, and be very limited in what I could eat, maybe not. But the more I read, the more I believe that these things are not guaranteed but are possibilities. And I AM willing to risk the POSSIBILITY of these side effects if it means I can finally lose this weight and keep it off.

I know several people who have lost massive amounts of weight without a fill. I know people who have their band filled to the max and still say they eat way too much in the evenings. ( The band is more open in the evenings)

It is extremely different for everyone. The band seems to have a mind of it's own. There are days that I can eat a certain thing, and the next time I try it, it's a no-go.

I think though that most people who have a 4 cc band find restriction at around 2.5

Do a thread search on how many ccs do you have in a 4cc band. That's a good thread.

I would have to agree that 2.5 seems to be the sweet spot for many. I'm at 2.8 and at first it was way tooo much, but after the first week I lost enough weight it loosened up, but if you look at averages most are 2.5 and happy with their restriction.

Sounds logical except for the fact I didn't lose any weight on my pre-op liquid diet. And once I recovered I didn't lose weight either. It wasn't until after I obtained restriction that I lost my first pound.

The quantity of food I eat has changed..but count calories? Me? I don't think so.

I could have started running without a band, for sure. And I would run without a band if I ever lose mine.

But it took the band and the noticeable effects of losing 14kg to make me ABLE to run. And to keep seeing results, well that kept me running.

And now I'm totally insane and addicted and I love what it does for my body. So even there the band helped. Without the band I would have found it exhausting for little reward becuase I wouldnt have had the eating under control at the same time. I've always either exercised or eaten well, never both together.

<p>

my questions is ...then why spend so much money on a band</p> <p>when in fact you do the real work</p> <p> </p> <p>controlling our hunger....</p> <p> </p> <p>my problem is i eat when im not hungry now...how will that change..</p> <p>exercise..i can do it now..will the band MAKE me exercise...</p> <p>
</p> <p> </p> <p>First of all...if you can do it yourself, have you done it? Why are you here looking and asking? The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior. Can you lose the weight and KEEP it off? If not....I rest my case.</p> <p> </p> <p>I too ate all the time...and NEVER when I was hungry (I never GOT to the point where I was ever hungry!). That has all changed now. I rarely look at food with an eye to just eat. Grazing is really not in my vocabulary now....unless you call grazing eating 6 grapes......over about 10 minutes. Yes, I have made some "impulse buys"....Taco Cabana going down the road....mmmmmm a taco sure sounds good! Well, about three bites into it I wrapped it up and took it home. So much for stuffing my face.... I am now officially "eating like a bird"....the dream I have always had.</p> <p> </p> <p>Exercise? No it won't make you do that. I've been a bad girl for the last month and fell off the exercise wagon. But I will get back on. I am shooting to get very close to my goal weight by the end of this year. I was banded on 5-23. Snake oil? Nope. I was skeptical at first....not that it would not work.....but that it would not work for ME. I think we all have those fears going in. But I was wrong. I remember the last fill I went in for and I saw my surgeon and he winked at me and smiled and said, "It works, doesn't it!" and I said "YOU BETCHA!!!"</p>

Maybe it is the mental thing.....it is a long thought out process to get the band.....now that I have it I'll be darned if I'm going to let it not work! I think I need something dramatic to shake up my will power. Family, friends, co workers all encouraging me and telling me how proud they are of me is the boost I need to do it. Even though I wasn't a huge portion eater the 1/4 cup I get right now is 5 times less than a normal meal for me! That alone will prompt weight loss.

But...you have to really want this! If you aren't mentally wrapped around this whole thing I could see it not working.

I didn't exercise before the band and I won't now. The most I'm hoping for is losing the weight to get off my meds. I'll never be model thin; I like to eat/munch way too much. My new best friend is soynuts...helps my menopause, keeps me in salty stuff (which I love), and it's healthy to boot.

Thanks for your advice! I'm waiting for my date and all the advice makes me feel better.

I didn't know about the sliming... yuck!!!

Solid Protein is protein that is not mushy. Cottage cheese is mushy.

So is chili. Solid protein would be chicken or something solid.

i am amazed at how much time people have taken to respond to my post.

i truly appreciate the detail and the time you have taken to respond with, that is very kind of you.

:whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

i have found the answers that i felt i didn't read before all in one place.

clearly i understand now what was being said....the band does control appetite, cuz i am definitely adverse to vomiting...and this alone with help me immensely

eating protien liquids to fill up...good point !

wow... now i hope the Doctor agrees that I need it. I do...i have tried

dieting, excersing, and still do both sort of ..but am all over the map...

having a plan and focus along with a physical incentive (the band)...will hopefully bring me to my goal to re-gaining my health.

I will keep you posted with what happens with me...how do i get one of those sliding wieght scales to appear in my posts in the future???

Again....i appreciate the understanding of my fears and questioning...you know being over wieght i have heard so many solutions for so long..i worry about people just wanting to take our money.

it is wrong that this is not covered by insurance..it is discrimination based on mispersceptions by society and obesity.

i am not fat for fun...it has hurt me so much...and my heart is now at risk

as am in the high risk heart attack category now...

THIS IS A HEALTH ISSUE that must be covered by insurance...

like many 'womens' operations...ovaries etc... they are left off of the insurance companies list...

well that is another issue.

AGAIN THANKS GALS AND GUYS you are beautiful to share such honest

experiences.

:):rolleyes:;):rolleyes::P:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

(that's a peck on the cheek for y'all)

i am amazed at how much time people have taken to respond to my post.

i truly appreciate the detail and the time you have taken to respond with, that is very kind of you.

:whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

i have found the answers that i felt i didn't read before all in one place.

clearly i understand now what was being said....the band does control appetite, cuz i am definitely adverse to vomiting...and this alone with help me immensely

eating protien liquids to fill up...good point !

wow... now i hope the Doctor agrees that I need it. I do...i have tried

dieting, excersing, and still do both sort of ..but am all over the map...

having a plan and focus along with a physical incentive (the band)...will hopefully bring me to my goal to re-gaining my health.

I will keep you posted with what happens with me...how do i get one of those sliding wieght scales to appear in my posts in the future???

Again....i appreciate the understanding of my fears and questioning...you know being over wieght i have heard so many solutions for so long..i worry about people just wanting to take our money.

it is wrong that this is not covered by insurance..it is discrimination based on mispersceptions by society and obesity.

i am not fat for fun...it has hurt me so much...and my heart is now at risk

as am in the high risk heart attack category now...

THIS IS A HEALTH ISSUE that must be covered by insurance...

like many 'womens' operations...ovaries etc... they are left off of the insurance companies list...

well that is another issue.

AGAIN THANKS GALS AND GUYS you are beautiful to share such honest

experiences.

:):rolleyes:;):rolleyes::P:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

(that's a peck on the cheek for y'all)

You are referring to a ticker. Go to:

Trying To Conceive Ticker

Or:

Weight Loss signature tracker

Whichever you prefer.

Good luck to you!

Wintersunshine,

I am glad you got your questions answered. It is a big decision to make, and not to be made lightly. I'm sure you'll do what's best for you. Good luck and please post again to let us know where you're at!!

Cindy