Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your Pre-OP Diet?

Hello everyone!

I'm just curious what everyone's Pre-OP diet consist of, looks like every doctor has a different system .

My doctor's pre-op is up to 3 Protein Shakes, Water, and one low calorie frozen meal like lean cuisine, that does not exceed 800 calories per day.

I started my pre-op last Tuesday (10/3/17) and find it really hard to even get close to the 800 calories. I've been averaging 500-600 perday.

I am down 9lbs and have 8 days to go so it will be interesting to see how much I actually lose before surgery day.

The struggle is real! I suppose I got lucky not having to do straight liquids, but it is still hard, and I'm Hangry! :lol:

Ours is simply a clear liquid diet the day before surgery and a bowel prep in the evening, similar to what's done before a colonoscopy (the last part being a bit of overkill for a sleeve, but consistent with the bulk of their practice being DS's.)

Mine is two weeks of clear fluids. And then a bowel prep the night before. I don’t know my calorie wise yet, I have my 3 hour pre op appointment October 19.

My doctors pre-op diet is 3 Protein Shakes, 1 Protein Bar and 1 Protein Soup per day. This is under the Robard products, it equals 800 calories a day. It is for 2 weeks prior with no bars 2 days prior to surgery. You can also have broth, sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles to get in extra Fluid. I'm on day 9. It was very hard the first week... like soooo hard. The Soups are terrible; so haven't been eating them since day2. This week has been better. I haven't weighed yet to see how much I've lost but know I have. I'm planning to weigh myself the day before surgery. I am scheduled for 10/16; can't wait!

I can have Protein and veggie no carbs

I start tomorrow. Mine is for 2 weeks before surgery, 26/10/17 I have to have 2 opti fast shakes and 1 meal that consists of no carbs per day. Has to be a palm size peice of chicken with no skin or fish with unlimited salad or vedgetables from a list I was given. Can have 2 cups of tea and just Water. My surgeon sends everyone to a dietitian 3 weeks before surgery. He said not to sway from it what so ever or your liver won't shrink which is the purpose of the low cal pre op diet. He said if I was starving to have an extra shake instead of proper food.

Edited by FarmerJo

I would kill for a piece of chicken! My insurance required the 6 months of vs with the dietician. Good luck with the diet! I'm on day 10 and can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

Hello everyone!
I'm just curious what everyone's Pre-OP diet consist of, looks like every doctor has a different system .
My doctor's pre-op is up to 3 Protein Shakes, Water, and one low calorie frozen meal like lean cuisine, that does not exceed 800 calories per day.
I started my pre-op last Tuesday (10/3/17) and find it really hard to even get close to the 800 calories. I've been averaging 500-600 perday.
I am down 9lbs and have 8 days to go so it will be interesting to see how much I actually lose before surgery day.
The struggle is real! I suppose I got lucky not having to do straight liquids, but it is still hard, and I'm Hangry! :lol:

This was mine except two shakes and a frozen dinner (with a lot of requirements). This was much harder than after because I was SO HANGRY!

I have a all liquid pre-op diet I started last Friday it's hard so I asked if I could have a salad and I was ALLOW to but with no dressing surgery is the 19th

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I have no pre-op diet per se. I have to be careful not to gain wait and still stick with the new way of eating that my Nut and I have been working on since Jan. Like no or minimal carbs like breads, pastas, rice, potatoes Snacks etc. Eat plenty of Protein and veggies. Keep at about 1000-1100 calories a day. Then nothing to eat after midnight the night before surgery.

Yes, I was shocked to hear this because so many others on this forum say they have a 2-4 will pre-op diet to follow. Typically liquids like Protein Shakes, Soups, and broths.

My doctor doesn't think it's necessary or beneficial.

I was recommended to try and practice eating super slow. Said I need 20-30 minutes per meal. I was like how can I make 4 ounces of food last 20 minutes? I eat three or four times that in a sitting right now and it takes me 5-7-10 minutes to eat a meal! I think slowing down is going to be my biggest challenge.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

Mine has three phases.

Phase 1 was Protein Shake for Breakfast, small piece of fruit or cheese for snack, microwave meal for lunch, small snack again, and microwave meal for dinner for a week.

Phase 2 was the exact same, except the microwave meal for lunch was replaced by a shake. This was also for a week.

Phase 3 is two weeks. Full liquid Protein Shakes for Snacks and meals, although I can have 1-2 cups of veggies with lunch and dinner.

I have 5 days of phase three left. I’m getting really tired of these darn Protein shakes! I have lost 16 pounds thus far, though, so it’s definitely been worth it.

Mine is two weeks of clear fluids. And then a bowel prep the night before. I don’t know my calorie wise yet, I have my 3 hour pre op appointment October 19.

Liquid Fast.pdf

I can only have Clear Liquids e.i. sf Jello, sf popsicles (saving grace), sf Powerade, Water, and broth three days prior to surgery. I'm dizzy every morning and extremely snappy to people around me....I also have a constant headache. BUT I've lost 4 lbs in two days so that's good.

2 weeks of Optifast - 3 shakes, One Bar and 4 cups of allowed starch free/calorie low vegies per day. Cravings were bad the first five days and the withdrawal headache was a killer for the first 3. Now tho, I'm day 13 and its fine. Its really interesting how the prep differs dramatically from surgeon to surgeon.