Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Upset and disgusted

What do YOU do when you look in mirror and still don't like what you see? I've lost 27lbs since I started on this journey and I don't see any changes. I got dressed for work this morning and saw a side view and I still look like I'm pregnant. Since I'm not, that has me upset and disgusted. I know it takes time, but I find it so discouraging. My co-workers and family see the difference, but I still can't. I barely eat 1000 cal a day and exercise at least 3 times a week. I don't know what else to do. Help!

You will totally find highs and lows during the band weightloss journey. I have had those exact feelings you just described. Look in the mirror and see no progress. In fact, I still do. My only advice is to set little goals and totally Celebrate them! For me I celebrate each ten pound loss. I finally ran a complete lap at the gym - not a fast lap by any means but I didn't stop to walk.... another celebration. If you approach it as one little accomplishment at a time you'll see the rewards and keep going. If you are only focused on the final weight - the journey will be so long and tiring. Hang in there 27 lbs is great!

You need to take pictures and compare them. I have lost 75 pounds and see no difference in the mirror. But when I look at pictures I can definitely see it.

What do YOU do when you look in mirror and still don't like what you see? I've lost 27lbs since I started on this journey and I don't see any changes. I got dressed for work this morning and saw a side view and I still look like I'm pregnant. Since I'm not, that has me upset and disgusted. I know it takes time, but I find it so discouraging. My co-workers and family see the difference, but I still can't. I barely eat 1000 cal a day and exercise at least 3 times a week. I don't know what else to do. Help!
1. Give it time. You've been banded less than a month, and lost almost 30 lbs. There's NOTHING in that to be upset or disgusted by.

2. Understand that fat normally comes off of the abdominal areas last. Most people see noticeable differences in the face, shoulders, arms, and even legs before they see a lick of difference in their stomach, butt, hips. You need to have patience. Know that fat is being lost, but perhaps just not in the one area you're waiting for -- yet.

3. Don't trust the mirror. When drastic change occurs over a period of days, you aren't going to see it every day. You need a way to see it "then and now" rather than "yesterday and today.: Take some pictures (I just posted re: taking pictures naked - it's the best thing you can do - IMO), or even trace your silhouette. Whatever you can do.

o.k. don't smash the mirror but, give yourself a break. You had surgery. You took time to make this life changing choice. Hang in there. People see the difference, they look at you with honest, kind eyes. You might not be as nice when you see yourself. Celebrate the loss you have made and keep it up!

I've lost over 100 pounds and I STILL don't see much of a difference. It takes time for your head to catch up with your weight loss. It's common and just keep doing what you are and things will work out well.

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures. Have SOMEONE take lots of pictures of you to compare. The mirror LIES to you!! I look in the mirror and see a FAT person still, but I look at pictures, and at a size 14/16, I've still got a ways to go, but I'm really rather average looking now. You could say I've crossed the line between "fat" and "chubby" or something. At least, according to the pictures. The mirror... bleah.

YOU will see the difference LAST. It SUCKS, but it's true.

Thanks so much for the replies! I talked to my co-workers and they told me they see the difference in my body. By the end of the day, I was feeling much better. I guess since I didn't have much of a weight loss this week, I was beginning to stress and worry. It helps to hear that others are feeling the same.

I'm a math teacher so I'll use a little math on you. Every pound you lose represents a greater percentage of your weight than the previous pound. For example, if you weigh 300 pounds, the first 30 pounds lost is 10 percent of your weight. However, the next 30 pounds is 30/270 or about 11 percent. The next 30 pounds is 30/240 or 12.5 percent. So the more you lose, the more an objective person will see it.

However, we tend not to be objective about ourselves so we don't see it the way others do. That's why the suggested pictures can help -- for some reason -- maybe because we don't look at photos of ourselves as often as we see ourselves in the mirror -- we see ourselves more objectively in photos.

Anyway, be patient. It's not a race and this time, we can be more confident that it's the last time!

Hi,

I agree with the pictures. I do not see the same thing in the mirror that I do in pictures. Take pictures.

Don't just rely on the visual to measure your results. Use

~ the way your clothes fit

~ your fitness level

~ your measurements with a tape measure

~ your lipid panels (blood work) to look for progress in triglycerides, LDL & HDL cholesterol

~ Body fat % via a scale that measures that or fat calipers

So many way to measure your progress. Most importantly keep a good attitude and come back from your lows as quickly as you can, like you did today. It is a long journey and we ge so impatient. You will get there.

Happy banding,

Mary

You know, I am finding something to be different than what you all are mentioning... When I look at myself in a mirror I think I look really good! And when I put on clothes I can definitly tell I have lost. But when I see pictures of myself I think I look the same, maybe thinner in the face, but still like a big ol' heffer! Does the camera really add pounds???

Where, I am down 50 lbs. and just saw a pic. of myself at a recent wedding...it depressed the hell out of me!!! I still look like a fat &*()&)*&)*&)&&*())(&%^&*)

lol.

oh well...

Just hang in there..what else can we do???

This board helps the most..it really does!

The dietician I saw sugested that I use the fit of clothes to measure my weightloss and I have already marked out a pair of jeans that I can zip up (but cannot breathe in!!!) as one goal and a shirt that is made from stretchy material but still 'gapes' across my chest as another. I plan on digging out other clothes that I haven't been able to wear for so long each time I hit another target.