Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Cancelled and Giving Up

It is the DAY BEFORE my surgery and I was woken up this morning with a call stating I did not get my pre-op testing fully done. So as instructed I rushed in to the hospital and got my chest x-ray needed (which was clear!) and it was immediately sent to my surgeon. I never go this particular paper attached in my pre-op packet they sent (their fault), and they wait until TODAY to confront me with this when I was in their office last week. So that's taken care of. Fine. Next thing my primary doc who has been pushing for me to get this for over a year REFUSES to give me clearance to my surgeon's office, becuase he WRONGLY marked my appointment with him the previous week as a follow up, and not a pre-op clearance. He also marked down that I had bronchitis? Which is complete bullshit becuase he never listened to my chest nor asked me anything about how I was feeling, just went over pre-op bloodwork for the surgery. So not only did they put down the wrong reason for me being there, but put down a bullshit diagnosis!, which is obviously false due to the x-ray. The receptionist refuses to let me talk with him and will not tell me why only to come to the appointment on Monday. She doesn't care that I have a life changing surgery tomorrow and I haven't ate anything for 2 damn weeks. The only thing I can think of is the x-ray which I tell them to look up becuase it was immediately faxed to them as well. They refuse becuase the doc is "busy". I have been trying to get this surgery for 5 years. I haven't ate solids in 2 weeks, in fact today I haven't ate anything becuase I've been so upset. Why bother? I don't want shitty food to gain weight again. I spent all my money on Protein Drinks and Soups for post surgery and I can't afford to get more. I have nothing, and now a an error on my doctor's side that is caught the day before surgery makes it so my surgery is void. I give up trying. I have severe depressive and anxiety disorder and it took me so much to get here. I have no other plans. I have no money. I'd have to do this hell ass liquid diet again. I would be lying if I said that ending it all hadn't been on my mind a few times today.

I guess this will be my last post here unless a miracle happens, becuase I'm done with this heartbreak. I've worked so hard and obviously if after 5 years of working to try to get this surgery it gets ruined like this, it wasn't meant to be.

Karleena, you're close. You're very, very close to getting this done.

Last minute hiccups are annoying and discouraging, but you're in the last few yards of a marathon race and deciding to give up because you stumbled.

Pick yourself up and move forward with this. Reschedule appointments, call your doc and ask for help with logistics.

One thing these docs tend to VERY ANNOYINGLY fail at is leaving the pre-surgery logistics up to the patient. Truth be told, that's the sort of job that some folks will do well, others won't. Just take a deep breath, recalibrate where you stand and figure out how to get things moving again. Ask for help from the surgeon. Just don't give up, because the consequence of that is poor quality of life and premature death that is inevitible with obesity.

Edited by Sleeved3

Karleena, you're close. You're very, very close to getting this done.
Last minute hiccups are annoying and discouraging, but you're in the last few yards of a marathon race and deciding to give up because you stumbled.
Pick yourself up and move forward with this. Reschedule appointments, call your doc and ask for help with logistics.
One thing these docs tend to VERY ANNOYINGLY fail at is leaving the pre-surgery logistics up to the patient. Truth be told, that's the sort of job that some folks will do well, others won't. Just take a deep breath, recalibrate where you stand and figure out how to get things moving again. Ask for help from the surgeon. Just don't give up, because the consequence of that is poor quality of life and premature death that is inevitible with obesity.

I'm sure you'll get another surgery date soon. And think of all the weight you have lost already. Hang in there :)

You were going to be on a liquid diet no matter what so it doesn't matter that you didn't have surgery. Keep doing liquids and try to get a surgery date next week.

There is no reason to quit this close to the end. If this makes you want to give up your first post-op stall is going to send you over the edge.

Karleena, you haven't failed anything. You did everything right as you were told. Other people failed to do their part. If you happen to read this and what the other wonderful people here have also written, please just go and see the doctor again and clarify the diagnosis and paperwork even if it doesn't make sense this was not clarified before today. You have come so far and invested your money as well as emotions into all your this. I cannot imagine how it feels to have this BS thrown at you today. Please just go to the appointment with the GP and get clearance. After that you don't need to go back to him again if you wish not to after treating you this way. So sorry you are going through this nightmare.

Thanks everyone. I have an appointment with my GP next week. The SECOND I ever get this surgery done (if, becuase I refuse to let my heart get hurt again, I've been crying all night) I am done with him. This isn't the first time. He never remembers why I'm there even if I've seen him the week before. So I'm not surprised he wrote the wrong thing down on a chart, and refuses to change it. My surgeon knows he is full of crap, becuase it took them three weeks to get simple paperwork, and he changed his story after I told them it's impossible I had bronchitis. His receptionists are also terrible and rude. I just know he is going to drag this out longer than just next week, and my surgeon only does surgeries twice a month (back to back to back) as far as I'm aware. It's so frustrating. I don't blame the surgeon's office at all. They tried to fix their error so quickly, and if not for my GP I would have my surgery today. The lady in the surgeon's office said not to worry about the liquid diet so my hope for it is gone. I'm just going to eat all Protein and veggies for now so as not to waste my powders, and see what happens on Monday. Some people eat that on their pre-op anyway. food doesn't even taste good I wanted this so bad.

I am happy to hear this update Karleena! I have been thinking of you. Let's hope this uncaring doctor clears you and you take your healthcare somewhere else where someone else actually cares. I know to say "hang in there " sounds cliché but I think that's my only advice right now. Can't wait to hear your surgery date in your futures updates!!!

So sorry to hear this. I am sending prayers and good thoughts your way. I hope that it works out for you.

Hang in there. You will get there, don't give up.

You tell ‘em girl!! It’ll feel so good to tell them to shove their practice up their ***. Just a little longer, you can do it!!

Remember to breathe. And hope. Even when it feels impossible. Saying prayers!

Everyone deserves a good primary care doctor --- ditch this one and find someone compassionate. Good luck with your surgery!!

I didnt have a pre op liquid diet, idk ur weight but i was 289 day of surgery , before surgery my doc hand me cut out carbs soda and drink lots of Water, only eat till the full feeling goes away not till i feel full, and chew really slow and chew till nothing left in mouth and wait 1 min between bites, i found it reallly helped me eat less and stay full longer, i also could not drink anything 30 min b4 eating or while eating, the struggle is real but so worth it, im not 5 weeks post op today and down 33 lbs, DONT GIVE UP !! ITS FOR U NOT UR DOC!!!

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app