Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So many pre-op requirements!!

I started this process last July after having a gallbladder attack. My surgeon suggested the lapband and sent me off to see a dietician and psychiatrist. A month later he asks if I've seen the cardiologist (he never told me about that). So, another 6 weeks go by and I've done that. Then I find out I have to also see a pulmonologist and lose 15 pounds! I saw the pulmonologist today assuming it was a lung check and I find out I have to spend the night there tomorrow night to make sure I don't have sleep apnea. Am I ever going to get there? Am I going to be able to lose that 15 pounds in the next 5 weeks? I am trying but frustrated with all this although I do understand the reasons for all of it. I need some encouragement. Have others had to do all this?

Yep, everything you mentioned. With work and stuff, it took me right at 1 year to get all tests done and approval from my ins company. Good luck with the rest of the hoops you are jumping thru....Dave

I was self pay so I didn't have those requirements. I see all the time on this board that the insurance process is very cumbersome. It will be worth it in the long run, getting banded will be the best thing you have ever done for yourself.

Just wondering also if anybody knows if these are insurance requirements or doctor requirements?

wow i didnt have to do any of the stuff mentioned.....though here in aus i needed to join a health fund....but didnt have to lose weight beforehand or go on any special diet.....

but hang in there it will all be worth it ;)

hi Marlu,

I am on my last day of pre-op and have my surgery tomorrow! im freaking out, but so excited! i just wanted to say that you can and will lose the 15lbs in 5 weeks. im just tying up my pre-op diet and ive been doing it for 3 weeks and have lost 18lbs! it was difficult, but do-able.... if i can do it, please trust me that you can do it. the diet the nutritionist at the centre had me on was low fat/fat free cottage cheese, fat free yogurt, i could only have splenda/fake sugar, one chicken breast daily boneless/skinless, a spinach salad with only the spinach and balsamic vinegar and lots to drink but nothing with sugar.... its worth it.... keep at it... i have paid for my surgery so i can't offer anything in the insurance dept.....

good luck and hang in there.....

Westerm Bariatric Institute in Reno, Nevada requires meeting with dietician, psychological evaluation, lower gi (where they x-ray your stomach and esophogus), two different classes at their facility, attend a support group meeting, a letter from your primary care doctor recommending surgery, a five year written statement detailing your diet history and a letter written by you stating why you want the surgery. These are required whether you are self-pay or not. They have all these requirements because they are a "Center for Excellence in Bariatric Surgery" I had to do all of these things before they could even submit my surgery to the insurance company! In addition to all this my primary doc had me do a stress test for my heart and when he didn't like how that came out I had to have an imaging test. That came out ok so I should be good to go but am waiting for my primary doc to send the letter of recommendation!! Some people even have to go on a Dr. supervised diet for six months before insurance will consider surgery. So hang in there - I am passing the time until I get my approval eating cookies! LOL

:omg::hungry:

But I am supposed to be dieting - they want me to lose 8 pounds before surgery but since I still don't have a date I figure I can drop those pounds fairly quickly with slimfast. It's not the losing thats hard for me it's the keeping it off. Anyway best of luck and don't give up.:whoo:

I also had a psych eval, a sleep study, two classes, met with their doc for extensive blood work, saw a nutritionist and a physical therapist. Now I have a post op support group. I didn't see a cardiologist because I already have one, but I had an EKG.

I am now banded and I love my band. When you go through such an extensive process, you have the opportunity to have all your questions answered and get all the facts related to the band. It is worth it in the end to be so prepared. Beth

I think the requirements for surgery vary depending on where you live. In MA. I was told that in order to be approved for surgery I would have to have a psych. eval., nutrition consult, see a cardiologist, attend 2 support groups, and have an intial consult with the surgeon before my paperwork would be submitted to the insurance co. Fortunately for me, things have move fairly quickly. I started all of this in late August and I am now waiting for insurance approval and a date for surgery.

Try to stay positive, it will be worth it in the long run. You can definitely lose 15 pounds in 5 weeks. Think of it this way, 3 pounds a week and it's not so bad. Increase your Water intake and make small changes in your eating and it will happen. Hang in there and good luck with everything!!!!

Good Luck!

Jenn