Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was Sleeved in Dec 2016. Down 90, 72 post surgery. Have flatlined and not lost a bit since JULY. Sneaky carbs have come back in, last week I even gained! If I could "just follow the plan", I'd not needed surgery! I 100% think my Sleeve was made too big, and told my Dr. as much, but here I am..I want a medication that helps with mental obsession and depression and does not kill my dead sex drive deader. My blood work is okay (will be re-checking Thyroid for my own peace of mind). I think about food All The Time. This was a factor in me gaining weight. I also think of my evil narcassistic ex All The Time. Granted, she ran off with my life time hobby-social group, making it hard to move on, but I feel that this stuff is a never ending rumination in my mind. Making grooves in my brain matter! I don't want or need counseling, just need this stuff to move to the outer rings of Saturn, and think meds are the best way to go.. Not looking to decrease my desire for food as much as making me think of it less-I will take both though. I am also a bit depressed nothing new, nothing serious, just a lower state of being, that has been here for decades. I am just about post-menopausal and my sex drive is GONE, which makes relationships die (breaking up with my Girl this week). In the past I took Wellbutrin briefly, but I don't remember how it worked. I know Zoloft made me flat and the sexual side effects were not fun, Concerta (ADHD) was okay, but maybe not exactly what I need.

I want to go to my Bariatric Dr and/or a Psy with suggestions. I think my Baratric isn't going to be an expert and a Psy might just send me back to the Bari. I don't want an endless stream of Dr. visits, just one or two and be on my way.

Anyone have experience with this? Don't need an answer today, so if you are seeing this months/years later, I will be happy to read.

Thanks!

Thinking Wellbutrin, it is the LEAST likely to cause sexual side effects and weight gain, which those two things are more important than the obsessive. Also, maybe combined with an ADHD medication, to help with energy and focus.

Here is an exerpt from: http://www.bipolar-lives.com/benefits-of-wellbutrin.html (Note, I am not bi-polar)

We know from clinical studies that Wellbutrin is more than just an effective medication to take if you suffer from bipolar depression. Wellbutrin is as effective as an antidepressant such as Zoloft, Prozac and Paxil, and is more effective than Effexor.

Additional Wellbutrin benefits:

• Helps compulsive gamblers who have other bipolar disorder symptoms
  • Helps smokers kick the habit (under the name of Zyban)
  • Used as a treatment for ADHD
  • Unlike so many other antidepressants, Wellbutrin does NOT induce fatigue
  • Increases alertness and energy
  • It is on the FDA approved list for treating Major Depressive Disorder as well as Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

Reminder: Wellbutrin is FDA approved for treating major depression but NOT for bipolar disorder.

There is evidence that Wellbutrin medicine can help with social anxiety and generalized anxiety. However, it does not help against panic attacks and may even make them worse.

(This is why I stopped taking Wellbutrin. For someone who does not have panic problems, Wellbutrin may still be a good option, especially in combination with an anticonvulsant mood stabilizer or with lithium.)

• Substance abuse? One of the best known benefits of Wellbutrin is how it helps folks quit smoking cigarettes – and marijuana! It may increase sensitivity to alcohol – or it may not – the evidence is inconsistent.
  • Impulsive behavior? Wellbutrin has been shown to be helpful for compulsive gamblers. It should be kept mind though that Wellbutrin is a medicine with stimulant properties and there is not enough data at this time to understand how it may either fuel or control impulsivity.
  • Obesity? Wellbutrin has been trialled as a weight loss aid and is unusual in being an antidepressant that contributes to weight loss rather than weight gain. This is extremely important as people with bipolar disorder suffer from higher than normal rates of obesity and are up to 3 times more likely to die from related diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.

I wonder if Contrave would help. It has Wellbutrin in it. So many the endless thoughts of food would stop. I do NOT want sexual side effects, I do NOT want to gain weight, I don't want to be *flat* (like a traditional anti-depressant does). I am okay with feeling a bit low, it is the thoughts of food, my ex (or whatever I am thinking of) and my low-sex drive that is the issue.

So, I wonder if my Baratric Dr will prescribe it?

I currently take Vyvanse for binge eating disorder (it is also used for ADHD). It has made a big difference in my appetite and thoughts about food, and I wonder if it could help you. Honestly, it has also made a big difference in my depression by giving me a bit of oomph during the day.

Here is some information: http://www.vyvanse.com/binge-eating-disorder

I did take Vyvanse prior to surgery. Course it was $200 a month. Since it is kinda speedy, it does work. I know Concerta worked as well, but not as good of course. I think I am going to go the Dr. I want to minimize my trips, did you go to your Baratric or a Gen or a PSy Dr?

1 hour ago, Anna Nim said:

I did take Vyvanse prior to surgery. Course it was $200 a month. Since it is kinda speedy, it does work. I know Concerta worked as well, but not as good of course. I think I am going to go the Dr. I want to minimize my trips, did you go to your Baratric or a Gen or a PSy Dr?

I go to a psychiatrist, and he prescribed the Vyvanse (as well as my other depression and anxiety medications). I don't think the bariatric surgeon would have prescribed it. My primary care doctor may have, though, if I didn't have a psychiatrist.

I'm sorry to hear that Vyvanse was $200/month for you. I am lucky to have a lower co-pay of $30/month. It is very much worth it to me at that cost. I don't get a "speedy" feeling from it, but I am better able to concentrate and my otherwise voracious hunger and accompanying thoughts of food decreased.

I ditto wellbutrin. Might actually help libido and def helps rumination. Will have lucid lucid dreaming....also easy to wean from w/o much side effects. Also try full spectrum lights or early morning sun exposure on your bare arms for 15 minutes every day.