Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision 15 years after initial Gastric Bypass surgery

Hi all!

New here. I've been seeking a revision for 7 years and finally got some good news. My original surgeon is back to doing revisions and has approved me for surgery. Just waiting on insurance approval and hoping it's soon. :)

My original surgery was in 2002 with Dr. Caruana. I was 371 lbs. when I started, 352 when I went in for surgery--open Gastric Bypass with gallbladder removal. Old school style!

I dropped 130 lbs. within 8 months and have lost and gained that last 30 over and over again for 15 years. I've been one of the lucky ones who maintained the majority of my weight loss.

About 7 years ago I looked into revision options, because if I had walked in off the street I would have qualified for a first surgery. I have never gotten lower than the obese range. Dr. Caruana denied me at this point, calling me a "success case," I then consulted with his ex-partner, who saw me for 6 months THEN denied me. He suggested I try the Cleveland Clinic. I consulted with the CC, had a scope shoved down my throat, met the dietitian, etc..and racked up $1500 in bills when my insurance denied me coverage. :) A few years later, and here I am...I happened upon my original surgeon's page, and there it was-- REVISIONS. I called and made an appointment.

So far I've had extensive blood work completed, a 6-hour Gastric Emptying study, met with Dr. Caruana, the LPN, Dietitian, and the Behaviorist. I have reflux into the old stomach, and I'm good on all the minute Vitamins and minerals, and B's are through the roof, but I'm severely anemic, and my D is low.

The revision I was offered will leave the pouch and the reflux alone, and will resect the small intestine near the large intestine and will remove a lenght of it. The idea is to control the hormones in that area and even out the absorbtion levels/add a level of malabsorbtion that is missing from the original surgery. Dr. Caruana said he thinks he's the one surgeon anywhere who is doing this type of surgery and is focusing on hormonal responses.

Hoping for the best at this point. Anyone else going through this stuff? :)

I'm going through a revision from an open stomach stapling in 1990 to an RNY full Gastric Bypass. In the early days they didn't move the intestine and have found that that was the key. Doc is worried he is going to have some issues going around the old scar tissue and mesh. I'm a little worried about that, but I'm in your boat - I lost some, but never all of it. Now I'm back to my pre-surgery weight and I'm sick of it.

Congratulations on wining your long fought fight!!!!

Wow, yours is even more old school than mine!! Good luck!!

Yeah, Darlin, you too!

I'm going through a revision from an open stomach stapling in 1990 to an RNY full Gastric Bypass. In the early days they didn't move the intestine and have found that that was the key. Doc is worried he is going to have some issues going around the old scar tissue and mesh. I'm a little worried about that, but I'm in your boat - I lost some, but never all of it. Now I'm back to my pre-surgery weight and I'm sick of it.
Congratulations on wining your long fought fight!!!!

I had exactly the same surgery stapling to bypass. The first surgeon I saw said no so I waited a while and worked up the courage to see another one. This time after he did a gastrocopy he approved it. We knew there would be adhesions from the old surgery but it was worse than he thought. He spent two and a half hours separating organs. But he broke through eventually and completed the bypass repaired a hiatus hernia and removed the damaged section of the stomach from the stapling. Luckily he did it all laproscopically. For what turned out to be a big surgery the recovery was amazing. I had it on Aug 10 and have lost nearly 90lbs. I don't regret the decision at all.

Sent from my CPH1607 using BariatricPal mobile app